Intel sandy bridge is safe @ 1.52v 24/7 !

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by wekktor, Jan 24, 2011.

1. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    some said 1.35v some 1.38v and some 1.45v so I really had no idea so I talked with someone from intel to confirm this and here is the conversation:

You are now chatting with 'Brian'
    Brian: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: Hi
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: I want to know what is the max safe voltage for sandy bridge?? no one really seems to know that, thx
    Brian: Do you have the model number of one of the Intel products?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: you mean i5 2500k?
    Brian: I am going to transfer you over to the technical department and they will continue with the process.
    Brian: Please hold.
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: ok thx
    Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
    You are now chatting with 'Dago'
    Dago: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: Hi
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: I want to know what is the max safe voltage for sandy bridge?? no one really seems to know that, thx
    Dago: let me check, the processor specifications, please wait
    Dago: this is the processor page, now let me check your inquiry:
    Dago: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52210&code=Intel®+Core™+i5-2500K+Processor+(6M+Cache,+3.30+GHz)
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: I cant find any volt values?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: the intel specs says 0.025v - 1.52v range in volt, but 1.52v just cant be safe for 24/7
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: some says 1.38v too but I want a official max safe volt from intel, dont you know the max safe volt ?
    Dago: I am checking the datasheet, please wait sir
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: ok thx
    Dago: let me confirm, are you looking the max safe voltage for the supported ram or for the processor cores?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: not ram, I want to know the vcore for the processor
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: max safe
    Dago: ok fine, I am checking
    Dago: thanks for your patience
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: np
    Dago: please check page 78 of the following document:
    Dago: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/324641.pdf
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: ok
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: yes it is this I mean, MAX = 1.52v, but for 32nm, that just can be a safe volt for 24/7 ?? Shouldnt it be much lower ?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: I mean wasnt the previous 45nm max = 1.45v or something like that?
    Dago: those are the specifications for this processor, the VID is (0.25) min and (1.52) max, and it is safe for 24*7
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: ok Thx, so 1.52v for 24/7 is safe
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: yes or no
    Dago: yes
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: Thx!
    Dago: Is there something else I would be able to assist you with?
    we_kk_tor@hotmail.com: no sir, this was what I want to know! thx
    Dago: Thank you for using chat. We value your suggestions and would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete our survey. The survey will appear when you click "Close'' to close the chat window. Have a nice day.

2. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Thank you sir for sharing this:)

3. penguin17

penguin17 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi N460GTX 1GD5
    Interesting, don't think I'll be running mine that high 24/7 anyway, might be give it a blast to see how far I can push the chip (when it comes).

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    and it lasts for a year lol, gl with that high voltage..

:nerd:

5. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    I only use 1.332v 5ghz but he says 1.52v SAFE which should mean that is shouldnt degrade that much

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    up to 1.4v, maybe 1.45v is safe anything higher is pushing it.. well unless you have an amazing cooling.

7. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    I trust more to intel support than u on max safe volt 24/7 than u, sorry :) if it only would last 1year with that volt, than it just cant be considered safe.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ok.

im just saying that this 1.52v is the limit of limits and its the max available cpu can handle,..for example my yorkfield or any q9xx0 has 1.3680v max under full load (1.45v in bios) and that's a huuge overkill to run 24/7 anyway.

If you want to run at that high voltage 24/7 go ahead, but it won't last for long, maybe 2-3 years :pc1:

9. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Doesn’t the CPU receive more voltage when throttled up? So I guess that means no turbo mode then,.... ;)

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Given that the 32 nm 6-core i7s can be fried at that voltage I wouldn't go anything above 1.4, maybe even 1.35. Don't run my 950 past 1.375 with current cooler.

11. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Yeah I guess the bottom line is I’m not running my Core i5 2500k at that voltage. If someone else wants to do it 24/7 then more power to them (no pun intended).

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Havent read the data sheet, but in earlier CPUs (45nm) there were 2 max voltages. Max operating voltage (which is fine for 24/7) and max absolute voltage which *may* be OK for limited lengths of time, but also may cause degradation or damage to the chip if subjected to longer periods.

13. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    laughs... that was a support personal person who doesnt understand what he just told the OP...

that is white paper document specs* for the max allowed voltage that can be sent to the cpu...not the max safe voltage,

this has been discussed before...

chose to run it at 1.5+ then when it dies, tell intel that tech support told you you were allowed to run it at that voltage, when you ask for an RMA...but make sure you keep that support copy.. ;)

14. Jcazz

Jcazz Master Guru

GPU:
    Tri-fire 5870
    on my core i7 i ran 1.65Volts into on water cooling using a maze4. K series is even more cleanup and polish than an older i7 920 DO. put some good cool water on it, and she will push 1.6 V and hit sum good speeds.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Maybe its because he lives closer to the artic circle. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

16. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    It's not like that tech support guy had any "insider knowledge." All he did was link you to a known document on the internet.

What I'm saying is that anyone with two shreds of internet search know how could have linked you to the same thing the tech support guy did in about 5 seconds. So what exactly did he provide you with?

17. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Confirmation that it is indeed a safe voltage for 24/7, not just max voltage that can be supplied. That's what I gathered from that conversation at least.

18. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Ask ten different Intel chat tech support personal and I bet you would get ten different answers..

Anyone who would consider that a 24/7 safe voltage would likely have the knowledge and understanding that it would be for a short lived period; not for the average oc’er on air who only upgrades the cpu\platform 3-4 years.

If you ask me, that is just bad advice.

19. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    don't get me wrong but the support guy was kind of clueless

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    lol :Dthat's what i was gonna say after Wekktor said that to me but i didnt want sound to rude,..

Agree, really he had to look at some PDF to be sure how much it can "handle", imo a tech (help) professional should have spit that info any time of the day, even when you wake him up in the middle of the night.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011