Intel Reveals Arc A770, Pricing, and Performance Tiering

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Reducing settings isnt a solution. If i buy rtx4070 10gb for 700$ mid-high end current generation card i want to max out the game and even use raytracing if possible. If i cant do that becouse im vram limited it means nvidia failed and i made a wrong choice.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes... it is, and to say otherwise is a matter of self-imposed entitlement. Maxing out textures on a modern game at 1080p (and in some cases 1440p) is just a placebo and unnecessary load. Wherever you might see a difference would involve you looking way too hard for one and not actually playing the game.

Would you drive your car around with 75L of water in the trunk, just so you can water a couple of pots of plants when you get home? Is it the manufacturer's fault if the added weight affected handling and acceleration? You don't need all of that water. Your plants will do just fine with 5L and the car will drive better with that amount too.

Nvidia didn't fail in this regard. Sure, for $700 they should give you more VRAM, but ignoring price, the GPU is properly designed. It is not by any means their fault that you are needlessly adding load.

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090FE
    Well yeah technically if you lower the textues you can get away with a lot more (well guess less in this :D ) than otherwise, but guess that also depends on the class of the GPU you are buying and what you "want" to give up.

Though personally i'd rather the extra headroom as a just incase, still think 6GB is a nice bottom end for GPU's nowadays looking at 1080p high (maybe not always ultra settings)

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You're not "giving up" anything. Go ahead - try several games released within the past 2 or 3 years in 1080p, take a screenshot with max textures and another screenshot with the textures turned down a notch or two. Tell me how much you can honestly see a noteworthy difference when sitting at a normal distance from your display. In some situations, sure, you might see a difference if you look hard enough, but then you'll also notice other flaws that have nothing to do with textures. If you've got things like AA cranked up, it'll make the differences even harder to notice.

5. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Offtopic: The only positive case of paying for less VRAM than the ideal amount is when you get a discount for that, but Nvidia practically never does this, they trust that their brand recognition permits their saving on the VRAM. There is no reason to settle for less, unless you desire something that only Nvidia can offer you. Even if you still can have the best possible image quality in most games just by toning down textures a notch like rightly @schmidtbag above tells us, lower amount is always a minus unless we are already above the sufficient amount for any common use case, which I would say is 12 Gb for the next gen when we exclude uncommon cases like people loading huge amount of VRAM hungry mods for their game.
    You will be fine with 10 Gb, but consider is there any reason to settle for just that. Of course we don't know the prices of the next gen products nor the VRAM amounts, but I would be surprised if AMD offers less than Nvidia in any price class, though RTX 3060 with it's 12 Gb VRAM is a peculiar exception, but the reason for that move was likely mining and 6 Gb just being too hard to swallow for most customers.

On topic: I would not personally settle the third time for 8 Gb regarding the A770 (went from GTX 1070 to RX 5700 XT), but I think the 8 Gb model can be appealing on a good sale for many, since 8 Gb is just about acceptable for this performance class, but it will be limiting in some scenarios. I'm very interested to see the prices, all the custom models and the price difference between 8 Gb and 16 Gb.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Linus hands on.

Undying and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 / 6900xt
    I think Intel got caught on the wrong foot here.
    They thought easy profit can be made given the crypto going up and having two potentially unsaturated markets.

Just before their planned launch, market is saturated with more performant models, prices are going back to normal, crypto is falling.
    Obviously projected numbers on sales doesn't look great anymore. How are they going to sell this versus say a 4050 ($300) that is supposed to wipe the floor with their entire range.
    Hence the sudden delays, shite drivers, lost interest, limited to pc builders in china etc.

I don't think they will move on trying to be a competitor for nvidia amd on this type of product unless they will meet again a situation where they can bite a bit of it for big profits.

Do you remember that listing from a chinese shop with A750 for $800?
    That's what they were probably hoping at that time, now it's busted.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    F1 2021 on the A770 gets 180fps on "highish" settings, lets asume at 1440p becouse Cyberpunk was also running at the same resolution. We still dont know what all that means really but here is the 6700xt and 3060ti in comparison :

[​IMG]

Airbud likes this.
  9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    Kind of (cherry-picking) there my friend?....:D

I love pulling out the cherry-picking card whenever I lose an argument...:p

Love you Brother!

Undying likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Linus tested those two games in his video and they hide Cyberpunk fps counter but not for the F1.

Airbud likes this.

11. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    yeah but what about all the games that we love like Far Cry 5/6, Red Dead Redemption 2, all the Assassin's Creed games...?

I would never buy graphics card that could not play an old game.

Undying likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    I guess Intel does not want to show more until the drivers are ready. Did you see dx11 vs dx12 in Tomb Raider? Its a mess :D

Airbud likes this.
  13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    225W for the 770? lmao