Intel researchers working on self tuning CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Silicon Madness reports Intel researchers are working on a more energy efficient processor prototype that automatically tunes itself based on various parameters like clockspeed temperature and voltage....

More...

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    So good bye to overclocking :cry:

3. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    do not want.

4. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 6gb mini
    Interesting concept but oc'ing will be no existence.

5. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    um, maybe we can have both, like sleftuning on/off on bios, and keep good old OCing ?
    just thinking out loud.....

If not, they want to ruin some fun for sure........

6. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    I really like this idea! I rather not overclock and break my head trying to reach whatever. but having the program do this for me would be cool.

7. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    That would be one completely unmarketable CPU...nobody knows WTH it is. The Intel 'Slacker' CPU, it only performs when it feels like it.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    99.9% of users who own Intel CPU's don't care how the CPU performs, as long as the device is working. If the device is able to scale it's performance to the workload being processed - then it will save tons of money. In the whole "green" movement of today, that's probably one of the most marketable things you can possibly have.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Interesting.

10. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    if there will be an OC option in bios, this processors should have very high overclockability, Error controllers should help with stability at high frequencies. or intel can remove hole OC feature from bios :( and that will be not interesting at all....

it's interesting how much more stability can this error controllers provide, they should also fail at some point right?...

11. unrealtincan

unrealtincan Member

GPU:
    XFX Core 216 Blck Edition
    Seems like a viable option for work centered setups. We only buy Dells for our company (when we don't just build it) and they don't have options to mess with the processor. If the processor could clock itself up when needed, that may be handy...hmm...wonder how much different that would be from "Intel Speedstep"?

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    This ^

Considering that Intel Speedstep is exactly the opposite (ie. it doesn't clock itself up, it clocks itself down), I'd say it's pretty different.

13. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It's more like the Turbo Boost for the i5/i7s, only with error checking and a processor smart enough to not cook itself.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Intel wants to control you. Next they'll implant stuff in your brain.

15. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I want a chip in my brain!! It'll make surfing np0r even better...more lifelike!

No, really, the fun is achieving the overclock. When you fire her up and it goes zoom zoom and you know that you yourself did it. You made your machine better. That's the whole fun and coolness of it all.

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Maybe it won't be true OC, just adaptive OC ... probably you can still push it further than what this adaptive OC can do.

deltatux

17. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I figure the same. They'll probably add some voltage limits for it which are way lower than the actual limits, same for heat limits, etc. And they won't go nearly as far as an overclocker, that's for sure - no amount of error checking can fix a crashing CPU if it's being undervoltaged or overheated...

And they'll want to be on the safe side so they won't have to replace any of them.

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    ye, probably just a more advanced version of the Turbo mode found in the Nehalem cores.

deltatux

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    WoW....I seem to be agreeing with you a lot more these days.

"Green" products are becoming increasingly popular these days. The more "green" the product is...the more "green" (in the case of US currency) people are willing to put down for it. I mean, look at "Hybrid" cars for example.....2010 Ford Fusion gets upwards of 41mpg in the city (based on PROPER driving style) and 36mpg on the highway. Base model starts at roughly 20k and gets 23/34. The Fusion Hybrid starts at roughly $28k. In reality, the extra 2mpg on the highway doesn't justify the $8k price increase....nor does the extra 17mpg in the city. Over the typical 5 year new car loan period, you won't spend $8k on the extra gas the base model uses...if you drive properly. That whole "Green" concept on the other hand....gets people to let go of that extra $8k with little hesitation. Intel is looking at the current consumer trends ("Greener" is better) and working on a way to follow THAT particular trend to get into more people's wallets sooner, than later. I'll be surprised if they don't figure out a way to make it work.

20. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I need my turbo button please. :)