1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel Reacts to Ryzen with new Kaby Lake Core i5 7640k and i7 7740K Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Although it's a really slim chihuahua without an ounce of fat, whereas the pit bull is obese beyond measure. But it's still a pit bull.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    SMT as a concept is two threads sharing resources made to be used by one thread. In that sense Bulldozer and it's constant sharing of four FPUs between eight threads, along with its actually excellent multithreading performance, is a good indicator that they'll be fine with their SMT. They have been doing this since Bulldozer's launch basically.

3. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    LOL! The way I see it is that Intel knows that AMD will hit them hard and they have to go the route that AMD had to go (Bulldozer) when there was nothing better on the table... That's going for brute force on OC! Now the other side of the story is that current Intel CPU's are basically as refined as can get and the only way is a whole new architecture from the ground up. This however will take them years... On the other hand AMD has a fresh unrefined CPU architecture on their hands. They will get a lot more out of Ryzen in the next few years to come and we will all benefit from this, as Intel will be forced to drop their prices and AMD will level the playing fields for a change. I'm very glad for AMD, those guys really had a bad time the past few years. It will be good if we can all see them stay in business and make a profit again.

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Ah I understand now. Well, SMT is sharing more than that so it should be more complex in this regard.
    But good point nonetheless, maybe they already had the groundwork due to managing FPU sharing.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Intel will have to drop prices $100 on low-end processors like i7-7700K and probably $250-300 on i7-6900K to stay in the game. Otherwise, I don't see who in their right mind would buy it when they can get about the same thing for much, much less.

I'll be building a new rig to replace my mom's Core 2 Duo, which really can't do a whole lot anymore. I'll go AMD and build a nice 8C/16T with mobo, and cpu for around $500 (hopefully). I'll throw in some ram that I already have.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Wait... you're giving your mom the 8C/16T as a replacement to a Core2 Duo?

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, seems like overkill.

As for Intel, they could keep the same prices and people who don't do research and assume the product that costs the most is the best would still buy them.

There is also the possibility that the Intel CPU's come off better in certain scenarios and the justification could be there to not do much with the pricing.

8. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well I'm surely not going to spend $300 on a quad core in 2017.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    From a Core2 Duo!?
    [​IMG]

10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Yes. I also game on it from time to time, but mostly use it as a HTPC, and need it to be ready for 4K content because I don't plan on upgrading it again for a decade.

I'll be throwing in a new video card later this year or next, depending on what's available. There's currently a 770 GTX in there, and madvr seems to run OK on it if I use Jinc and none of the other scalers or doublers. It can't do 4K at all though, so it'll need to go eventually. Still a ways to go before there's actually 4K content like TV shows and movies with HDR.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

11. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    :bigsmile:

Mainstream class is a big potential market share:D