Intel Reacts to Ryzen with new Kaby Lake Core i5 7640k and i7 7740K Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    This is the most promising news regarding Ryzen, everything else is just meh.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Lol, an i5 with hyperthreading? This confirms to me that Intel are starting to panic, especially after this desperate bullsh!t.
    It's a good thing Intel's feeling AMD's stick, we should've had 6 and 8 core mainstream i7s for quite a while now.

Time to pay for sitting on your asses, Intel. I thought you learned from AMD's similar mistake before the Core 2 era.

4. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Lol..there is going to be a ALOT of rather pissed off 7600K purchasers out there if this is true.

5. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Yawn.

6. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    i5 with Hyperthreading? Then what would be the point in the i7's?

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah thats what I was wondering lol.. minus the difference in cache..

Not really unless they specify it as higher bins.. its just going to be another 4770/4790K, 2600/2700K etc... and since you already have a K chip you can just OC up higher, most likely the price will be a little bit higher than the previous.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Well, enjoy the show.

Shouldn't come to anyone's surprise, really. At least not in the sense that Intel could've done any of that in the past 5 years if so they pleased.

Given their move it only makes RyZen more appealing and frankly speaking, even if price/performance parity was the reality of things post RyZen release at least enthusiasts would likely be more inclined to roll with AMD.

It generally doesn't feel nice to be ripped off as a customer (or rather have the 'idiot' stamp applied to one's forehead) and those 'in the loop' tend to remember on top of it.

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    There's still the cache size, but price will be the major factor. I'm assuming this HT i5 will be significantly more expensive than the non-HT 7600k.

What I don't like is the fact that Intel simply raped their own naming scheme with this HT i5. Makes no sense, just like in the notebook market.
    You have dual core mobile i3s, some with hyperthreading, dual core and quad core i5s, some have hyperthreading, dual and quad core i7s, all have hyperthreading. What..
    I really don't want this confusion to propagate towards the desktop market as well.

10. Aniboom

Aniboom Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Aaaaand things are already starting to get spicy! I'd say that starting off from these times, things might speed up a bit and I am more than glad to see this.
    Nothing new about it, i know, but given how the last years have been, you know, new Zen CPU in our doorstep, Intel making a hyperthreaded i5, Vega is on its way, we have GDDR6 on it's way as well. All the goodies seem to be piling up! :D

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I5 hyperthreading should have happened years ago I didn't think we would ever see a 6 core i5 like many people where hoping for.

12. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    If this is true then Intel is indeed in great panic mode. And lol at those 100mhz-200mhz core bumps like we can't do that ourselves by pressing 2 buttons. i5 with HT is also very weird as it breaks their own naming scheme. I suppose if this is true it's a slightly cheaper i7. No need to call that i5 lol.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not the 1st exotic one remember the I5 2c/HT from 1st gen and last gen...

if intel care of Rizen it might be a nice processor... let's see the review in few weeks by Hilbert :)

14. Nedum

Nedum New Member

GPU:
    ATI R9 290X
    And why is HT so important for the "normal" and gaming user who would buy the i5?
    i5 with HT is good for what?
    The cache is the thing we have to go. That's the thing the normal user would feel the most.
    If I would need HT I would need a big cache also.
    99% of all games can't use HT in a good way. Most games are slower or have problems with HT enabled.
    I don't get it....!?
    That action is ridiculous.

15. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Games started using more than 4 threads recently. I agree they are not many but in 2017 to buy a new CPU with only 4 cores is not that future proof anymore as it used to be some years ago. That's why Ryzen is going for more cores. If AMD does it right with performance Ryzen will be much more future proof than an i5 today. Once more AAA games start using more than 4 threads Ryzen can shine. That is assuming you buy a CPU now and won't willing to change it for the next 5 years or so. If you can afford buying new CPUs every year or two then I guess it doesn't matter.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol I love competition.

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    So if I get this right...

Intel is "answering" to DOUBLE the cores with just 100mhz speed bump? That will work, sure...

18. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Maybe we'll finally get to see some progress in both performance and aggressive pricing. The fact that Intel is enabling HT on i5 is a clear sign Ryzen will be on their level and even higher.

Now, Intel will be playing the Mhz/Ghz game, since that is all they have until new designs come out from their labs.

19. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Oh, no, not yet another "Intel is doomed"\"Intel is panicking" news.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Unreal Engine supports HT and it is beneficial to its performance since version 2.x. (Just saying.)
    But lately i5 feels weak, not because it became weaker, but because there is more junk running in background of OS.
    Have you heard of MsMpEng? That's microsoft's Antimalware which tends to scan anything and everything what gets loaded. It easily hogs one core of CPU.
    Same goes for Indexing service which on "random" decides to do its stuff.
    In worst case scenario MS will turn quad core into dual core. That's sad to experience.

Last time I was to install android studio, I did run into 25% CPU utilization from installer, 25% from Antimalware and 25% from indexing service as those things were fighting over data processed by installer and put on drive. Running youtube in browser with 200+ tabs while installation was going did not felt like I have PC capable to do multitasking.

So having 6 cores or HT is actually something one should aim for. I can tell you that when MS decides to kill performance of my Atom tablet (4 cores, no HT) it does it easily.

Yes, 4 cores were fine for many years, but not anymore. For next 4~5 years one either needs 8-cores or 6 cores+HT.