Intel publishes Icelake (Gen11) Integrated Graphics architecture paper - Looks Promising

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Hey, at least they are trying to improve their horrible iGPU's.....

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I wish they'd scrap the whole thing and start over fresh, create something good rather then polishing a turd

This is why i don't have high expectations for their discrete GPU since it's just going to be the same polished turd but super sized.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's no secret that I dislike how Intel does things, but their GPUs are actually perfectly fine for their intended use. People just have the wrong expectations of them. 3D gaming is pretty much their lowest priority; they're built to efficiently do things like OpenCL-accelerated programs, video decoding, and keep up with applications like Adobe products. Intel's graphics do each of these adequately.

Also, I thought the new GPUs were pretty much a whole new architecture? Keep in mind that even going from Haswell to Broadwell had a substantial set of differences even though they're based on the same underlying architecture. It's also worth pointing out that Intel's graphics are known to be horribly starved for memory bandwidth, as the CPUs with 128MB of cache have proven. Although I'm not confident Intel will make a good gaming GPU, I do expect their dGPUs in general will actually be pretty good.

5. A bit more interested in the gt3 and gt4 stuff. I have a NUC with a 6770hq that had iris 580 (gt4) and it isn't bad....not quite amd apu good, but not bad. I always wanted to play with one if the newer NUCs with the i7-8809g chip that had vega graphics.....and am wanting one of these amd 3750h for my next laptop.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Don't forget that they start few ago from a white paper... Their GPU evolution is comparable on what NVidia and AMD have done.
    Intel IGP is not powerfull but perfectely fit it's intended use (and doesn't take PCIe lane to system even if disabled like the actual Ryzen G).

For everything else there is AMD or NVidia :) (and i guess that most of us don't use IGP for their main computer).

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If I had any interest in Intel CPUs, I would consider this good development. Once I'm forced to replace my laptop, it's going to be a model with no extra GPU, just a CPU with an iGPU. An AMD one. Well, unless, of course, I somehow come upon an unbelievable Intel powered offer that's not a hoax.

8. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Looks like another overpriced Broadwell that no ones cares.

9. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Hasnt the opposite of this statement been proven many times over with simply overclocking the ram and re-running tests with almost identical results.

And I agree u cant keep polishing this turd at only 64cu's its performance wont even come close to even AMD'S lowest end APU currently. Not only that but this will only be binned on the high end Intel chips making it redundant as I dont expect anyone using a high end CPU to not have a dedicated GPU as well.

10. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Thank the Ex AMD workers that bailed out and jump over to INTEL especially Raja ;-)

It would be real funny if INTEL bought Raja the same leather jacket as NVIDIA's CEO but soaked it with a whole bottle of " ARMOR ALL " car interior shine and labeled "RTX enabled."

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    ram overclocking may not have a large impact on normal parts since they have typically have half the active execution units as the iris pro variants with cache, can't make a direct comparison unfortunately.

schmidtbag likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    @user1 pretty much said what I was going to. I don't recall many benchmarks for testing various RAM speeds with Intel GPUs but it also depends a lot of what was tested. You have to test something where the GPU and CPU cores weren't already a bottleneck. From what I do recall, you need at least 3GHz RAM for it to not be a constant bottleneck on a relatively demanding title. Considering how weak the Intel's 3D performance is, 3GHz on dual channel is kinda asking a lot of bandwidth. So, if Intel plans on making a GPU with Iris-like performance again, it's going to need some pretty fast RAM.

13. danwat1234

danwat1234 Guest

Somehow I doubt Intel Ice Lake will have greater than 5% IPC improvement over Skylake cores.. pitiful. But maybe we'll be surprised.

14. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Yes useless as usual.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Maybe something like... DDR5? :D

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Intel igpus can be useful. Ideal for hdmi audio to av receiver if you are having issues with nvidias audio.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Maybe, though at this point I'd rather see something like HBM for CPUs.

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Products are "promising," papers, not so much...

sykozis likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    here is to hoping? IGP arnt bad for usage that isnt gaming.