Intel processor shortages to continue into 2Q19 says ASUS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2018.

1. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    Are you seriously implying that this is a conspiracy? How does that make any sense. If they fake a shortage when they actually have a surplus in order to raise prices that will drive more customers to AMD and they'll be left with a huge stock of "secret" cpus that they manufactured that remain unsold. How does making a product but not selling it net you more money? When you have a surplus you lower the price in order to sell more because selling a product for less nets you more revenue than not selling it at all.

These Intel conspiracy theories are getting more ridiculous every year. Somehow THIS is a more plausible reason to some people when a product cost is high than it actually being expensive and difficult to make. Even when that product is one of the most complex feats of physics ever achieved by electronic engineers. No there can't be a shortage because it's difficult to make this cutting edge tech, it MUST be a conspiracy. I've never seen people want to see a company fail so badly.

2. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I think they went all in for 10nm and though they did not need to renovate there 14nm factories, because they would be closed down when 10nm is up and running.
    When 10nm dragged out, they could not produce enough 14nm chips on the old equipment.
    Together with the need to heavily bin chips, to make them run well at factory overclocked speeds.

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @schmidtbag well the 7700k here averages 400 euros ...still who would pay 400 euros for the 7700k there are a lot cheaper and better options and cheaper even from intel at these prices who would buy the older generation is the real question , pretty much every hexacore i5 is a cheaper and better cpu on a modern platform ...also the motherboards do not go for cheaper too

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't think Intel expects these older CPUs to be big-sellers. They're most likely keeping them around as an option for replacements or repairs.

Venix, TheDeeGee and warlord like this.

5. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    This shortage just amounts to shareholders not getting an expected return. No real shortage per se. Just not what was anticipated. Customers have become spoiled so any little inconvenience like this is blown out of proportion. As if any one business is at risk of not functioning because of this "shortage".

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    8 of the 20ish or so desktop/laptops in my local store are ryzen, and this continues to increase. Talking with the store employees, there are people who see intel and will buy it, but more and more people are buying said ryzen systems for the fact they can play with them both and do not see a difference, and if there is, it's in AMDs favor, especially since they are the cheaper PCs.

One of the biggest things that has been selling is a $399.99 AMD ryzen r3 2-core 4-thread laptop, vs a $399.99 Intel i3 8th gen 2-core 4-thread laptop. The ryzen (and i can attest to this) feels snappier, feels like when you press the start button for instance, it comes up immediately, open a browser, comes up immediately, open up windows settings, opens immediately and everything populates within it, in under 1-2 seconds. The same can't be said of the intel CPU, and other then the CPU, the ram, HDD, size of screen, etc. all the same. Why is this the case? I don't really know, the clocks are very similar, but it certainly makes joe-schmoe more interested in the ryzen laptop.

This could be an outlier, sure, it's just one store, but i feel like the need for consumers to have Intel is over exaggerated from reality, they just want something they feel is not slow and costs decent.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    moo100times and m4dn355 like this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Situation improves a bit, but not much in here. From model availability in large shop:
    AMD: 125 models (57 based on Ryzen)
    intel: 1588 models (623 Kaby8; 250 Coffee8; 34 Whiskey8; rest are older generations)

On actual street stores, all AMD you can see is from A8/10/12/E... times. But I am very pleased that manufacturers start to place AMD's chips into 13.3'' notebooks. With previous generation there was only HP available here in that size.
    AMD can get to that market, but they'll need pry-tool in form of 7nm efficiency. Because those manufacturers will be loyal to intel unless they would lose badly to anyone who will use AMD.
    And issue of manufacturers putting mostly AMD to low quality devices with poor ergonomics is almost gone too. It is still sad to say that only success Ryzen had in mobile is that manufacturers stopped ignoring AMD because those chips are good.
    Well, there is always 2019.

8. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    I'm glad to hear that (cpu) things are moving in the right direction.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I suspect they are left over stock the shops not changing the price and nobody buys em and there they are still hanging there.