Intel presents New GPU Architecture and oneAPI for Unified Software Stack at SC19

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So this first generation won't be for desktop at all? Is this what i should read in the presentation?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I think we're still going to see desktop hardware based on the first-gen architecture, but server models are going to be released first.

4. Dribble

Dribble Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I think it says a bit about what Intel's focus is - it's about winning HPC and everything else comes second to that. That's probably also true of Nvidia to some extent, but they have the advantage of a long history of gaming gpu's so it's not hard to keep that ticking over. I can't see Intel coming at this cold having much hope with gaming if they aren't 100% focused on achieving that over everything else.

5. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Member

GPU:
    2 x Titan RTX, 24GB
    Dribble: that is true. Another thing is lots of Nvidia's developments for their HPC-focused cards, the ones with no video outputs, can trickle down to their video cards. For Intel, they don't have this cross-pollination going on. They have a long way to go and just a few very large customers are paying the bill.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Read: High Performance

angelgraves13 likes this.
  7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Show me Intel's gaming partners, otherwise I'm not even going to take them seriously.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  8. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    I dont know if anyone one on the market needing this, to wait for Intel to come up with something.
    Too much already covered by gpu makers.

9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Intel can post all the slides of 7nm they want. They can’t even get 10nm working. What a joke.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    What do you mean? Having just AMD and Nvidia for discrete GPUs just isn't enough. There needs to be more competition. Nvidia is way too expensive and although AMD is fantastic for compute, their drivers aren't great and they don't have CUDA support (which most servers seem to use). I suspect Intel [at first] is going to be substantially cheaper than Nvidia while having the money to really push developers to use OpenCL and SPIR-V. Intel is pretty good at making drivers too.
    So, if Intel plays their cards right (and let's face it, they need to in order for this to succeed), they'll be filling a nice gap in the market that AMD can't provide and Nvidia won't.

When it comes to gaming, things will likely be a little bit different. I think Intel is still going to be priced between AMD and Nvidia, but they've got a long way to go to get application-specific optimization profiles set up.

I'm still convinced Intel's 10nm has been perfectly fine for a while, but the problem is it can't handle the high clock rates that desktop users and enthusiasts are expecting of their aging architecture. People want a new CPU that's actually an upgrade, and a 10nm i7 with a much lower clock speed is going to be noticeably slower. More efficient, but slower. That's why most of the 10nm products available are mobile and server chips, where nobody expects base clocks beyond 4GHz.
    That being said, GPUs normally don't go much higher than 2GHz and I doubt Intel's will be any different. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they will actually achieve 7nm.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if clockspeeds are the problem, then Intel have forgotten the things they have learned before.

12. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @schmidtbag
    Meant for commercial stuff
    Those that would have the need for a relevant amount (as in sales), already have something as no one will stop and wait for intel to release something, as they most likely will lose more money delaying a project, than the higher cost Nv/Amd will have

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Being that the first release of Xe is for HPC/AI....there would be no "gaming partners" involved. The first Xe based products are going into "Supercomputers".... Not everything revolves around gaming....

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    You know when you've been around too long and start stating the obvious? Then people look at you like "err, wtf are you on?".

15. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Intel is going to be like Supermicro if they keep focusing only on servers and HPC.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Intel isn't focusing only on servers and HPC. Xe is still expected to be released as a consumer graphics card. They are just taking the most logical approach. Start with HPC and scale down.

17. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'll believe it when I see it. We'll probably see AMD's RDNA2 with ray tracing before we see a GPU by Intel.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Given past history, I have my own doubts as to Intel actually releasing a consumer graphics card. Rumors put launch in summer 2020 though. Given how much hype was built up around Larrabee and claims from Intel in regards to how advanced it would be....and it's final launch as an HPC only card.... I'm reserving my excitement for when Hilbert can post an actual review.

fry178 and angelgraves13 like this.
  19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The problem with Larrabee was that the performance previews were so-so, but, within a very short time it became totally out-dated. Intel knew there'd be no consumer market for it so it was scrapped.

My gut feeling is that if Intel actually had something they'd be screaming about it and hyping it up right now. The fact they aren't doing that gives me zero confidence. The Xe might as well not exist.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    There will be desktop too.

Initial slide shows
    Entry
    Mainstream
    Performance
    Server