Intel or AMD for gaming only

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by damnboy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Then you must not care about gaming. The stronger GPU is waaay more important to gaming than a faster CPU. The AMD cpu and GPU combination he mentioned would outperform the Intel combo he was comparing it to. Period.

2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    For all those who say the GPU matters most, what about in one or two years time? Not everyone upgrades their CPU that often. A fast gaming rig needs a combination of both CPU/GPU. A quad core wanna be FX4100 has not discernible upgrade path, compared to say a i3 2120 on a 1155 platform. i3<i5<i7 and IB are all in the cards. A happy middle ground needs to be found but a FX4100 shouldn't stand there. Heck you would be better off with a Phenom II X4 970.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i cant agree more, the CPU/mobo is the base of your rig, it makes sense to buy the best you can afford for it, and then later care about a better gpu

4. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Right, but you see he asked specifically, "which would be better for gaming only". The answer to that at this point in time is the AMD and 6950 combo. You guys are recommending stuff for the future, when he simply asked which would be better for gaming.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And thinking about the future IS better for gaming.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Exactly, so save the fanboy spiel Mkilbride....:3eyes:

7. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    +1. I3 is enough for gaming. Save some more cash then upgrade that I3 to i5. :bang:

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It's not fanboy. A 2500K will last him alot longer than 4100FX will. His CPU OC to 4.5GHZ like a 2500K, but with 2 cores disabled.

A 2500K is far more bang for buck, and with badly ported games coming to PC from consoles, a strong CPU is very important.

Most games these days don't fully use my GPU. I had a Q6600 @ 3.4GHZ before this. Performance has more than doubled in games...seriously. Take Assassins Creed Revelations, would have had 35-45FPS on Medium before, now I can clear 60FPS on maxed out easily with room to spare. BF3 is alot smoother.

Source based games rely heavily on CPU as well. I have the same GPU as before I upgraded, but a new CPU made all the difference.

He can buy a better GPU easily later, but upgrading the CPU can be a pain.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Much easier to switch out a lesser vga than to buy a new MB ram and CPU to replace a godawful BD CPU. I care a lot about gaming. Hence the rig in my sig. Not everybody can afford that but I am giving an honest well though out opinion here. Given the choice I would go with a 2500k any day of the week and even run off the integrated gpu for a couple months if I had to.

10. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    Very true.

I'll say it again: If you can just save up for a 2500k with a 6950 you'll be golden. That'll play pretty much any game at a good resolution guaranteed, and as Tommy here is saying it gives you a lot more headroom for upgrades in the future. Heck, you could upgrade to an Ivy Bridge i7 later if you wanted to.

Still, if you absolutely HAVE to pick between the two options you listed, I'd still go with the FX4100 and 6950. I believe that Tommy is lowballing AMD processors a bit. They're still pretty good for gaming, especially overclocked, and as long as it's not bottlenecking your GPU (which I doubt it would) then you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

11. damnboy

damnboy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3GB Vapor-X
    Thank you for your replays, ill go for i5 + 6950 .. and 68z.

Which graphic card brand should i choose? I'm thinking about MSI TWIN FROZR II/OC 2GB because of good price. Or it doesnt matter?

Someone mentioned that ATI drivers are bad. Would 560 TI stand there?

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  13. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    I don't know where you are from, but save yourself some money buy one of those 6950 2GB Sapphire cards that have been unlocked by tons of people on various hardware forums. 6950's are a much better buy than the 560 ti / overpriced 488 core 560 ti.

For example this one:
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64448&vpn=11188-05-20G&manufacture=SAPPHIRE

This is the "11188-05-20G" model, there is also a "11188-05-50G" model. Both will unlock to 6970 by flashing the 2nd bios.

Man, I had a friend who bought the 50G version and his second bios switch already had the 6970 bios flashed onto it... lmao

Usually I'm always for getting the MSI Twin Frzr/Gigabyte Windforce cards, but not all of them can unlock since they don't use the reference PCB. So in this case, getting either one of those Sapphire models is much better bang for buck. It's a dual slot cooler too, not as efficient as MSI or Gigabyte's, but nothing that will honestly harm your GPU. Totally worth it.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have the 50G and it won't unlock. It's running at 6970 clocks though so I'm not missing out on much.

The Dirt3 cooler is fantastic, twin fans and 6 heatpipes...

15. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    intel cpu + amd videocard = win

16. seercirra

seercirra Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480 Nitro+O.C.
    i'd get a 2500k and cheaper graphics card.
    the reason being that graphics cards hold their value better than cpu's. you can get a 2500k and a weaker card and then sell the card for atleast 2/3rds or 3/4's what you paid for it in a years time and get something better.
    within a few years youll certainly want to change your amd chip, and most likely to intel, so youll need to buy another cpu and mobo and youll get very little selling your old ones second hand.