Intel Microcode Updates Released for All Windows 10 Versions (Except for v1511)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by justdoge, Feb 4, 2020.

1. justdoge

justdoge Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
  2. oscare30

oscare30 Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I have never installed any of these updates for my CPU ( i7 3770K O.C'ed to 4.3) because I kept hearing about how
    it impacted performance ....I was just wondering if anybody out there with the same CPU has installed the latest
    update and seen a performance impact/ or issues with not being able to overclock?

I guess I have just always had the mentality that if it isn't broken don't fix it....I don't know how much at risk my computer is
    WITHOUT these updates but it is running really well and I don't want to screw it up.

Any help is much appreciated!

3. loracle

loracle Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    i installed this microcode for my 3770 k, and performance drops by like 10 %, in timespy, also i noticed weird cpu behaviour and performance drops significantly, i uninstaled this crap and all fine again.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    when and if this get pushed via WU i will test this, but is why I dont want to update Asrock extreme 4 bios from 3.20 to the 7.50 (C2) then again that microcode isnt the same one windows10 (C6H) is currently using and i cont really see much issue, other then maybe? the 4K read speed (24mb) or much slower then 4k write speeds 85mb in and 4K -64 thrd 288mb read and 4k-64thrd 103mb write, the Read 512mb and Write 320mb speed are about right for Samsung 830 128gb. 766 score which it was at one point 820+ then again this drive is bout 5 years old now and has 8.5tb written

My Samsung 860 1TB is not much better in 4K read 42mb /write 110mb speeds or the 4K -64 thrd read379mb write 344mb speeds. but it get 530/520+ in read write 1225+ score. I dont see performance hit on my cpu hits ore gaming, but there might me one on my SSD I honestly not sure. and dont feel like putting much thought into it. for obvious reasons.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You can disable the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations using the Inspectre tool and you'll get most that back. Recent Windows updates have mitigated most of the perf hit. But there's still about at 5% SSD perf hit in random and access time is almost doubled from 0.04 to 0.1 or higher with them enabled. Makes a big difference reading lots of small files.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I went and looked at the review scores of my 830 128gb and 860 evo 1tb the AS SSD scores I get are higher then review and the access time are bout the same , I did do a Malwarebytes full scan root kits and all that on both my drives it took almost 4 hours to complete, last I did such scan which was probably 8+ months ago it took bout 1hour and half. so you probably right about bunch small files.

830 access times .0072 read/.0041 write
    860 access times .0072 read/.0032 write

Which are about in line with original reviews for this SSD

But malware full scan was almost 2x longer to finish then last time ran it
    I used https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm and disabled he meltdown/spectre patches speeds scores for both SSD remained the same. but there is obvious hit to scan speeds in malwarebytes

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020