Intel launches XeSS upscaling technology, available in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Death Stranding

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Also available on Death Stranding.

3. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    6900 XT
    Just tested Shadow of the tomb raider on 1080ti on Ultra average frame rate Xess on=85fps Xess off=90, Tried the same test on 5700xt and it halves performance compared to native

4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    But does it look twice as good? :)

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It doesn't look that great from what i've seen. Worse than both FSR and DLSS and that's not necessarily a good thing.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Wait, you got lower fps on both cards with XeSS anabled? :eek:

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That is expected, for a first attempt.

It was the same with Nvidia and AMD.

The question is if Intel is going to continue to improve their software or if they are going to call it quits and leva thedGPU market, like many are saying...

8. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
    People say a lot of things, like don't stick Q-tips into your ears. :confused: Just because their earnings were lower than expected this quarter, and some wall street celebrity speaks out doesn't mean they'll scrap a product they used multiple millions of dollars to make. At least that makes no sense to me. Regarding XeSS in SOTTR seems like a bug to me, using a 3070 it falls to 4 FPS. It runs absolutely fantastic in DS on High Quality mode. Looks maybe slightly even better than DLSS Quality mode, but only in motion, of course performance wise, and when the camera is not in motion, DLSS looks and runs significantly better. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070

Doesn't look great to me unless you are comparing it to FSR 1.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    too much blur to cover artifacts, even FSR1 outside the zoom looks better talking about details despite the bad aliasing. Xess almost look a bilinear :V at least the quality mode is decent and gives a few bunch of frames per seconds more than TAA upscaling.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022

11. codyrocco

codyrocco Member

GPU:
    Mali T720
    Nice, so I could play again games from 2018, which I already played on RTX2060. Such a delay, only Internet Explorer knows!

12. Badger2k

Badger2k Guest

GPU:
    HD 520
    Definitely intrigued by the innocuousness of comments here.

13. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Damn, FSR 2.0 is so bad unless you are not playing the game... Even when standing, ghosting is atrocious, worse than this abomination of TAA. If only devs cared about things they are putting into the games and actually configured them properly, these technologies would have to be better since they are not offering too much right now compared to properly tuned TAA+sharpening...

It also looks like XeSS does not have any sharpening in DS either so it is not surprising that image is not as sharp. From what I have seen so far, XeSS is step in right direction from first revision. I just have no idea how FSR 2.0 (DLSS is not any better in a lot of games) got released in that state, anyone who is using eyes to see things would notice how bad ghosting is... Then again, most reviews for this are mostly static scenes, so it is not surprising why nvidia and AMD focused there...

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black