Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen processors to only support Windows 10 and Unix

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2016.

1. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    absolute bullsh1t ....this is the advance to global control ..just like microsoft wants to work out steam in the game market for selling online ...eventually microsoft controls ur pc and everything and ur household with spying cameras...well ..eventually

2. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Its a marketing decision not a technical problem, that's my point.

Linux is 99% free and always was. They have very limited resources that need to be correctly allocated. Furthermore, updating linux is always an easier decision, I can bet users running a 7 years old linux are way way less (in proportion, of course) than windows users still running 7 instead of 10.
    (And I bet again Red Had will support anything u want if a big client needs it)

A plane has a LOT of navigation systems and automatic functions (which compose the "auto pilot"). This things evolve and are constantly patched to account for bugs, new features, etc.
    Idk if the computers running all that stuff never change, but the point is that u can maintain an OS for a long time, hardware changes are just one more item in the maintenance schedule, nothing more.
    Its a marketing decision not a technical problem.

Win10 sucks for me, I'm not going to discuss that here. My Linux has the last kernel, it's not about refusing to change.

Plane's systems have to be updated to comply with new security standards, the point was only to show that a system (the plane as a whole) and it's OS can be maintained for a long time, so its a marketing decision not a technical problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @All3
    And at the end I clearly state that this is not a big deal but we are just fed up with MS bs and so overreactions are justified. Are u even trying to understand the point I make or just want to discuss on unimportant things like analogy accuracy (which is subjective) or wording?

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see how Linux being free makes a difference.

An overreaction is never justified or it wouldn't be an overreaction.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Tbh, with all this talk about W7 being old, I think MS needs to end DX11 support next year for W10 as well, as it's nearly as old. Make W10 DX12 only and stop old DX11 code running by ending support for it. That's progress. There's no need to keep backwards compatibility at all and a cut-off date should be set to stop all "legacy" apps running on W10. This will then also end Steam support on W10 as we know it and everyone's happy.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The image that a lot of people have in their heads about the Linux kernel development, is completely wrong. There are no hobbyist coders in the kernel. Only 7.7% of the people submitting code to the kernel are unpaid. Everyone else is an employee of various companies, organizations and governments. Unless Redhat/NASA/The NSA needs a backported driver for Zen, no one will write it.

The most critical infrastructures in the world are run on Linux. Stuff like the New York stock exchange. They do not have limited resources. Every single big tech company (including Microsoft) are committing people and resources to the kernel. Google, Valve, Red Hat, IBM, Intel, AMD, Novell, HP, just to name a few, have dedicated programmers committing to the kernel. Take a look at this:

[​IMG]

It's not a bunch of geeks hacking in their basements, and in a lot of senses it has never been (except from the very very start).

When airplanes have upgrades to systems like that, it's in the context of whole overhauls. They don't get them piece by piece, for safety reasons. You keep comparing two things that shouldn't be compared, as they are COMPLETELY different use cases.
    Saying that "hardware changes are just one more item in the maintenance schedule" of a kernel just shows how ignorant you are. The whole thing that the kernel does is providing interfaces for hardware. It's not a simple "maintenance" task. It's the point of the whole thing.

What's your actual problem with Windows 10? Maybe we can help? Also about Linux, which distro are you using? Because the mainline kernel sure doesn't do backports. The distro you have might hold you on a kernel, but from a point on you have to move on.

I'm sure that I sound like a Microsoft apologist here, but I've seen so much ignorance in here that's almost blinding. Moving to a single Windows kernel that gets updates, is a SOUND technical decision. They basically did what everybody else is doing since the start. Do you know what the actual problem is?

They fired 2/3 of their testers, and rely mostly on the fast adopters from the release rings.

The feedback from insiders is great, but Microsoft used to have the best testing in the business, and now it's gone. That's a bad decision that will eventually bite them in the ass.

6. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Maybe this will push banks and goverments to upgrade to Win 10 and stop using that POS they have been using for decades... unless they want a terrible OS and a terrible machine in 5 years time..

7. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    Its about markrt share and gaining global control eventually..cant be a good thing ahead:bang:

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Isn't that the manufactures driver problem?

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You know this is inherent in tech. Eventually hardware and software is obsolete. There is no way around it. Fortunately APIs have demonstrated a somewhat longer cycle versus hardware and operating systems.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Yep,

Though Windows 7 is still quite important for bigger companies. A lot of them just finished moving from XP to 7, to think they would have to migrate all over again now.

11. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Probably people like me who like maximum performance in games. Win 10 is still slower for games than Windows 7. Proven time and time again by benchmarks, and also my personal experience.

I love Windows 10, in fact I use it more than Win 7 now, but still Win 7 has better game performance than Win 10 right now. Sometimes it's not by much, but with some games Win 7 is significantly faster.

Just do what I do and have a dual-boot system. Best of both worlds

Don't take this the wrong way, but please, for your own credibility, learn the difference between "THEN" and "THAN". It's not rocket science. A lot of what you say makes sense. However when I see such a glaringly obvious mistake in grammar, it makes me question everything the person has written and its validity.

**"different THAN an airplane"**

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Windows 7 is not faster for gaming, I stopped dual booting because it was either a little slower or there was zero difference.
    Throwing in a comment about loving W10 does not legitimise your statement either.

There are games that are broken on 10 though.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only thing I will say to argue this, is from my personal experience and a dozen of communities online all say different. Performance just like from Windows 7 to 8 is not any real noticeable difference(I don't feel like linking, but google is easy). Big reason to move to 10 when it comes time for developers to move to it is dx12.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. If you want to use the latest technology, why should Microsoft spend time developing and encouraging people to use old, defunct OS that they are making no money on just to make a few people 'happy'. I say 'happy' because their moaning and whingeing would then redirect to other things like no DirectX 12 etc, but the same argument applies.

Why don't they whinge that their old AGP video isn't supported, or their old ISA addon sound card? What about not having a connector for their 1.44 MB (1.38 MB) floppy drives?

If Microsoft went to the Windows 10 model, and I could argue even everything else about Windows 10, when Vista came out, people would've thought the OS was the best and they wouldn't have accepted any changes to that model. In other words, some people hate change. This may be change in general, or only hate change in regards to certain things. Of course, not all change is good, but I don't think that applies to Windows 10. People were whingeing that they were getting the upgrade for free FF#, yet no doubt if they had to pay for it they'd probably either whinge they had to pay for it or rush out and buy it, then whinge that they had to pay for it. Now those that didn't go for the upgrade are whingeing that they can no longer get it.

But that is in regards to existing systems. You have to remember Kaby Lake and Zen means new CPU's, new chipsets, some new chipset features (and more so looking forward). It's a completely fair decision by Microsoft.

15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Some people are obsessed by constant upgrading, for me, because i have lots of computers its usually waste of time, i want to upgrade to improve something, not because im forced to do it.. I already paid for Windows 7 licenses, i have almost 10 of them, Microsoft should be at least some honest to make making new drivers, i dont care about new features..
    But what is MS doying is bricking system, if you dont paid more...

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Most of those companies probably wouldn't be replacing all their computers with Kaby Lake or Zen either, so where's the issue? The same companies you mentioned are probably running 32-bit Windows 7, coming from 32-bit XP.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Only you could have gotten a free upgrade for every single one of those licenses, and NOT install Windows 10 on top.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Microsoft did provide Windows 10 for free for you. No doubt those paid licences were for OEM, in which case installing on a brand new future Kaby Lake or Zen isn't consistent with the licensing arrrangements. Furthermore, Windows 7 and 8.1 never supported Kaby Lake or Zen, so Microsoft are not taking features away from you. In fact, Microsoft were extremely generous from a business point of view in allowing the free upgrade to Windows 10, it's not their fault that you chose not to accept the offer.

At which point should Microsoft stop supported the deprecated, superseded operating systems? Why aren't you complaining that iPhone 6's don't work on iOS 3, or that Android 2.1 isn't supported on the Galaxy S6? You have to consider that doing so is far easier than keeping on supporting Windows 7 and 8.1.

19. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    A couple years ago I made the decision to stick with Win7 and my existing hardware until Microsoft stops supporting it. At that time the support page at Microsoft said support would end in 2022 for Windows 7. But it looks like they are changing the particulars on exactly what that means.

For my purposes I will keep what I have even if I have to stop using this hardware connected to the Internet. I will buy some cheap laptop or something for when I need to go online. My main purpose for having computers is gaming and since the vast majority of new games are boring compared to what gaming used to be, I see no point in spending gobs of money on a fancy new hardware set only to be told what operating system will work and to play mediocre games. This is why I have Win98SE, WinXP and Win7 computers.