Intel is satisfied about 7nm progress

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    During its presentation on financial figures for the fourth quarter of 2020 (Intel turned over $20 billion from October to December / above expectations). 2020 sales were also strong: $ 77.9 billion, ...

Intel is satisfied about 7nm progress

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    satisfied ? how come ?
    amd is selling 15x more in mindfactory :rolleyes:

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    As much as we don't like Intel, we need that they have CPUs on that 7nm.
    Competition is good for consumers, more offers, lower prices.
    I hate to say it, but as a homelab geek is kinda hard to find affordable ECC RAM servers on AMD platform. If anyone can show me some links to prove me wrong, go ahead.

4. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    We need intel to throttle just a bit longer lithography wise to allow AMD to grab enough money for successful R&D and then let the heated battle begin.

BReal85 likes this.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Looks like Intel doing pretty well without one german e-tailer ;)

mohiuddin, Noisiv and cucaulay malkin like this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I wonder about the tsmc info from yesterweek
    with big+little cpu structure they can probably make arm cores at tsmc and still use their own fab for big ones
    doesn't amd make the i/o die on 12nm for r3000/5000 ?

that is odd.
    I swear YT channels say they're scared fabless of amd

7. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I know, right? Oh yeah but their "node". Pfft. All you need to know is this:

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    It's cause enthusiast market is tiny compared to oem's, business, laptops. Enthusiast might be switching to AMD in record numbers, but everyone else isn't.

ZXRaziel and tunejunky like this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Shrinking CPUs is not what we really need from intel. We need them to fix their $h*7. And we need them to innovate approaches.

What did die shrinks gave you over time? Sandy 32nm 4C/8T 8MB cache 4.5GHz => 125W.
    Put it against comparable 14nm from 10th generation:4C/8T 8MB cache 4.6GHz => 65W.

Equip new chip with memory having same bandwidth and latency, differences will be negligible outside of AVX2 workloads. But those come at extra power draw anyway.
    - - - -
    And as for ECC memories, you are not looking above 2666MHz anyway. And at 2666MHz, prices for single 16GB or 32GB stick are rather good.
    I paid more for four 8GB (total 32GB) non-ECC sticks meant for OC, than I would pay for total of 128GB ECC on 2666MHz. And that applies to 4x 32GB and 8x 16GB.

If you need server, you scale horizontally and not vertically.

Question of memories and platform comes secondary to need for CPU cores.
    If I expected need for 16C/32T, I would have likely gone TRX4 way for extra memory bandwidth from extra channels.
    At 24C/48T I would definitely go TRX4.
    32C/64T is edge of SP3.

And bandwidths are appropriate. I mean SP3 with 8 sticks running 2666MHz has like 170GB/s.
    TRX4 is reaching with same sticks 85GB/s.
    And AM4 with OC sticks runs 50~55GB/s.

I see appropriate bandwidth for appropriate core counts. I do not know what your workloads are, how many cores you need. But If I pay same money for memory sticks as I would pay for Threadripper 24C/48T, I would be at 256GB ECC. I think it is pretty decent for home server. But I would likely go only with 128GB as 32GB I have is mostly fine with my workloads.
    - - - -
    And thanks, now I have urge to upgrade or build next system (which is planned to be AM5 based). Gonna have to look at something else to take my mind away from spending I know I do not need. :D

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

YOU THINK?

[​IMG]

BReal85 likes this.

11. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    The comment Jerry Saunders said all those years back

"Real men have their own Fabs"

Is still interesting to today, considering his baby, AMD, now has none, and Intel are having to use other peoples.

A better expression is ==>

Real men have a better FAB or better access to another..

tunejunky likes this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This is bad, every time Intel says their node progress is good, we get another delay...

ZXRaziel, BReal85 and schmidtbag like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Aren't all TR and Epyc platforms ECC-ready? So, couldn't you just buy a barebones server (or just build one yourself) and then get the ECC separately?

14. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    @schmidtbag Yes I believe they are ECC ready,@nizzen as for the 2020 results hmm the Pandemic has certainly helped as IT sales worldwide have gone through the roof witness the shortages of well everything except strangely enough Intel CPUs:) wonder why?
    anyway am in agreement we dont want AMD turning into another Intel so yes competition please but I take issue with the results they are not stellar in the current conditions at all in fact they are disappointing because virtually no progress has been made as an example 2017 the year Ryzen launched they had a 62% Gross Margin 2020 was 56% dont get me wrong thats a big big number but its the same trend since AMDs resurgence and I dont think the bite of the server shift has been felt yet 2021 will be the year of real shift in incomes for that, lets see AMDs results first and see how they all stack up on the 26th

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    "Intel satisfied over 7nm progress"

Translation:

because of our size, market and manufacturing cap, and marketing skill we have enough time to transition and still command the market".

imho, really what else could the very smart new guy (an Engineer FINALLY!!!) say?

Intel has everything they need plus the drag that comes from an industrial behemoth trying to change course. it takes a supertanker miles to effect a change in course, mature companies are no different.

Embra and alanm like this.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    More and more notebook brands are switching to AMD or introduce AMD based notebooks. Servers are also turning to AMD. OEMs are a different story.

And Ger Amazon, and UK Amazon, and US Amazon. And Japanese webshops. Etc. :)

17. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Actually just been looking at the interview in more details so intel are saying they are on course to release 7nm by 2023......2023! AMD will probably be on either 5+ or 3nm by then.
    Intels new guy also stated that by that time they will probably have moved production back to internal, doesnt really give TSMC much incentive does it unless as I mentioned before Intel is paying to license the process from them.

18. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Talk about what you cant deliver, it's bad. Better stay quiet until you got something to show.

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I would love to see Intel get back to the Wolfdale days in terms of price/performance.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD is still tiny minority in laptops. Practically non-existent in tablets. Even while intel got 10~15W chips into tablets. (Atoms officially rated such as 2W SDP = idle operation of OS.)
    I mean, I can find intel's Rebranded atoms like Pentium Silver N5030, branded as 4C/4T and completely annihilated by AMD's 2C/4T chips. And in very nicely built devices too.
    Yet, you see AMD's chips mostly in trashtops.

Yes, there are great laptops where AMD does well and provides even better value than intel's. But those are mostly gaming ones with dGPU.
    Yet market demands mainly "ultrabook" like devices. And even while AMD has better chips there too, you do not see better offerings. (If equal device costs much more, it is no better offering.)

Agonist likes this.