Intel is rumored to be buying capacity at Globalfoundries

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2020.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure where I indicated this - I said they were trying to resolve their 10nm issues before resorting to a third party.

Intel's supply issues are a relatively recent phenomenon, and was brought about mostly due to their failure to transition to 10nm in time. Supply issues were not a concern when they originally built their fabs.

Improving their fabs can help resolve their supply problems - smaller node can allow them to produce more chips with more performance per watt. This is what they've been trying to do for the past five years or so - trying to transition to 10nm. They are only resorting to third-parties because they are unable to do this (assuming this rumor is true, of course).

Swan indicated that they will increase capacity by 25% in 2020 (in addition to the 25% in the past year), although this doesn't necessarily mean they've built new facilities. I think one of the problems with this is that they are now creating bigger chips than they were building before - up to 8-core for desktop and 18-core for HEDT, a significant jump from the 4-core and 10-core chips from before Zen. I think this has added to their supply problems (so these increases are only bringing them back to where they were before).

2. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    and hiring ex amd staff :D

3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Personally I think it's smart and I think many of us could see this coming since Intel's fabs can't meet demand. Intel should use every fab out there to get as much product made.

If I were Intel I would keep any decent CPU IP completely in house. However using a third party for non-CPU products like chipsets, USB chips, network controllers, integrated circuits, and flash memory would all help make room for capacity.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    AMD unloaded GloFlo to finance (Ryzen and Vega) development and restructuring AMD.
    AMD never had the economies of scale Intel has and nanometer scale node development is big science with a big budget. TSMC had invested over twice their net value to develop 7nm and had the help of the Republic of China (Taipei), along with Apple, AMD, Qualcomm and a few others to fund the development.
    Intel, in addition to a differing definition of "nanometer", has such good engineering that it lead the marketing folks (in charge atm and for the last 7 years +) to become fanboys in extreme, which has lead them to believe the hype, but not the numbers that the engineers deliver. unlike Star Trek, you cannot just order up a new phaser for season two, you have to do the work.
    Intel does have all the resources it has ever needed, but more complacency than it deserves thanks to bad above-the-pay-grade decisions of the folks in charge.
    the "10nm" product (i'm expecting a name that node revision lol) actually looks exciting.
    but Intel is getting pegged with that "power pig", not-quite-up-to-date load that AMD has had to deal with (previously) in GPUS.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    AMD let go of GlobalFoundries in 2009. In 2009, 7nm was still a distant dream. 32nm (28nm) was the big thing happening back then. Thus, I wouldn't say it's of much relevance to talk about AMD in this context. Sure, GF needed AMD to keep going even after becoming independent, but they were still separate companies. They have the unholy contract that is now shackling AMD after GF refused to stay in the race, so it's nothing but regrets for AMD at this point.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    7nm was a distant dream, but not uArch including infinity fabric and chiplets.
    that is what the sale of GF brought specifically to AMD, and why they sold it.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think the acquisition of ATI and the global financial crisis were more of a factor to that. On the whole though, AMD was never really able to afford fabs, and was done primarily due to the personality of Sanders more than anything else.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/the-rise-and-fall-of-amd-how-an-underdog-stuck-it-to-intel/
    https://arstechnica.com/information...e-top-of-the-mountain-to-the-deepest-valleys/