Intel is preparing new "KA" CPUs, including i9-10900KA, i9-10850KA, i7-10700KA and i5-10600KA Spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 25, 2020.

1. I see your point - why not try going off of benchmarks with the names? Like "10500" vs "10890" or such n such. If price matters then use price as a sticking point to base your searches / benchmarks. Andandtech/GURU3D(here)/pcpartpicker/pchardware/techpowerup and many sites across the web have these capabilities.
    This had been introduced in a recent build of Windows no? Given prerequisites are met and the optional feature is enabled by users AMD supported CPPC for some time as well.

AMD Zen 2 CPUs support ACPI's Collaborative Processor Performance Control,(2)

- taken from https://www.anandtech.com/show/15137/amd-clarifies-best-cores-vs-preferred-cores
    The ranking of the “preferred cores” as characterized by CPPC2 does not directly correspond to the electrical characteristics of the cores, and further takes into account many other factors of the chip layout. The biggest factor at hand here that affects the choice of the highest performing preferred cores in the system, is that AMD is aiming to accommodate Windows’ scheduler core rotation policy.

Currently when there’s a single large CPU thread workload running, the Windows scheduler tries to rotate this thread between a pair of physical CPU cores. The rationale for this is thermal management, as switching between two cores would distribute the latent heat dissipation between the cores and reduce the average temperature of each core, possibly also improving power draw and maximum achievable frequencies.

For AMD’s CCX topology, this rotation policy however poses an issue as it wouldn’t be very optimal for a thread to switch between CPU cores which are located on different clusters, as there would be a large performance penalty when migrating across the two cores on different L3 caches. Taking this hardware limitation into account, AMD’s firmware “lies” about the CPPC2 data to the OS in order to better optimize the schedulers behavior and attempting to achieve better overall performance.

In my example above, the AGESA reports to the OS that core 2 and 3 are the fastest in the system, even though core number 4 is electrically/physically the fastest core. The choice here by the firmware is done by selecting the highest average frequency achieved by two cores within a CCX. In my case, this would correspond to cores 2 and 3, which are electrically ranked as #2 and #3.

While AMD’s explanation currently does map out for the two fastest cores in the system, the actual ranking in the CPPC2 data is furthermore impacted by other aspects. Again, in my system example above, we can see that even though electrically cores 0 and 1 are quite bad, with core 1 actually being the worst in the system, they’re still ranked in CPPC2 as being faster than all the cores in the second CCX. The reasoning for this is that again AMD is sort of abusing the CPPC2 frequency characterization data in order to force the Windows scheduler to first fill out CPU cores on the first CCX before having activity scheduled on the second CCX.

To complicate things even further, there’s other invisible factors at hand that impact the CPPC2 ordering. Taking my system as an example again, it doesn’t quite make sense for CPU core 5 to be ranked higher than core 6, as the electrical characteristics of the cores are in fact being described as being the opposite way around.

I had a theory that the firmware would possibly prevent the ranking of cores to be sequential to each other if the corresponding physical cores would be adjacent to each other. Indeed, AMD confirms that local thermal management is also part of the decision making of the CPPC2 ranking:

"[The firmware] mixes in additional requirements to optimize user performance: individual core characteristics, overall CCX performance, cache awareness, overall CPU topology, core rotation, localized thermal management, lightly-threaded performance counters and more."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
    Dragondale13 likes this.
  2. DG21

DG21 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    'KA' stands in german as an abbreviation for 'keine Ahnung' which means 'no idea' - why must intel always be so obvious?! xD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  3. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Good cpu,s for non overclockers and if they want a cooler system :)

4. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Non overclockers buying a k processor that is more expensive than a normal k processor not good for em at the very least .... Collectors on the other hand maybe those sealed on a box in 10 -20 years would be quite expensive.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    guess what happens when your ship develops a hole and you have replaced the crew with marketing personnel; they try to seal the hole with a sticker!

carnivore likes this.
  6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I don't know I think it's actually a good idea for them seeing they had some trouble beating AMD like in the past, This gives it a more nostalgic look and feel for the CPUs so why not? Kinda like when they made the 8086 was it called ? They need more products like this to keep em ahead of the competition. The G3258 was one of my personal favirots and that's how Intel needs to roll have a product at each tier that can beat AMD. I like both company's FYI.

rl66 likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    On other hand there was no XBox included with Peugeot 206 XBox, neither PS3 with the Renault Clio Playstation 3...
    But there was a real Mazda MX5 included with the ultimate GranTurismo edition (the MX5 car with special paint and wheel + the playstation + the cockpit with stering wheel, pedals and harness + the bigest screen from Sony + the game for the price of the car in basic config).

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    The G3258 was a hell good CPU... over 4.0 in all auto, around 4.5 in air cooling, over this with liquid for 67 Euro and kicking ass of i3 that costed around 130 Euro... Only good remind of this one (despite i replaced him with Athlon 2*0 GE then few ago with a Ryzen 2400GE both pasively cooled)

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Nice, so you just get an "Avengers Box" with your CPU inside that is no different to any normal CPU with all specs the same & all prices the same....pointless. EDIT: after re-reading article the CPUs are slightly lower price for this Avengers Edition, doesn't say how much cheaper, but overall a strange marketing idea.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Does it at least include some Intel-themed skins for this ripoff of a game? Like an Iron Man suit with Intel Inside Logo on it?

rl66 likes this.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Hulk themed: put your CPU in the socket using a hammer
    Captain America themed: go to get blue and red paint and use the box as model for DIY
    Iron Man themed: put the Intel CPU in the trash (seriously, there is no Stark technology in this caveman's CPU why should i use it?)
    Black Widow themed: <KGB and "Girls in leather uniform" censored this>

12. YNWAza

YNWAza New Member

GPU:
    Intel 10th Gen Core i9-10900KA Avengers Limited Edition up to 5.30GHz 20MB Cache LGA 1200 125W BX8070110900KA Desktop Processor / Intel UHD Graphics 630 / Intel Optane Memory Support / Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology / Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) / Intel vPro Technology + FREE DELIVERY ! [+] GET FREE MARVEL's AVENGERS FROM INTEL
    This is the description I got when I bought the cpu

13. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Claim the game here if you bought KA cpu :)

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/gaming/learnmore-avengers.html