1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel is Dropping Processor Prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2017.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why would Intel be sending out e-mails giving review sites guidelines for testing Ryzen? It's not one of their products and would allow AMD to pursue legal action against Intel again.

This "price cut" has nothing to do with Intel. It's MicroCenter doing it. Intel isn't going anywhere for a very long time. Intel is one of the most profitable electronics companies on the planet. Even if Ryzen manages to outperform every Kaby Lake processor, it's not going to hurt Intel. AMD needs to have multiple, consecutive years of outperforming Intel in every market, in every metric, before Intel actually has a reason to worry.

2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The same reason why Nvidia sends guidelines how to "properly" compare their products with competitor products to make them shine the most.
    i.e. which games to preferably use / which settings to set / which metrics to compare / how to scale graphs etc.

-> https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...viewers_guide_leaked/?st=izmwk3tw&sh=6582bb57

Now while providing guidelines itself is nothing wrong per se.
    It's still the responsibility of a reviewer to assess those guidelines for "fairness" issues that may arise.
    That's actually the hardest thing to do. And while I think professional people like HH are up to this task of interpreting such guidelines correctly. Some others may just blindly follow them...

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Intel is in a very different position from NVidia. For Intel, providing guidelines for comparing Intel processors to AMD processors could easily be seen as anti-competitive. Also, being that CPU's are general purpose processors, and not specialized processors like GPUs are, altering settings to make a weaker product appear to have an advantage would be questionable and would fall under "unfair/deceptive marketing tactics"

4. xendrome

xendrome New Member

GPU:
    16GB
    This is just Microcenter having a sale and people reading too much into it. Too early for price drops due to Ryzen, if they even happen.

5. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 Ti FE
    To little to late. Hopefully this will be wake up call for Intel.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Or, just, you know, reasonable :nerd:

7. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 6gb mini
    Not really. Intel has a ton of revenue coming in from their cpu's for years. Amd finally playing catch up is not going to force them to start cutting prices by large amounts. They will be still charging over $1000 for top of the line even if ryzen beats it cause people who have intel boards dont want to switch over to a new platform right now. Ryzen is very early stages. In a couple years yes intel will have to get onboard with price cuts or fall behind like the p4 days. We still dont know how the 4 and six core ryzens compare to intel. Thats when intel will start to makes minor cuts.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Who cares how much the price dropped on a 7700K when bringing AMD into the picture. AMD has nothing to directly compare to it yet...or do they? Am I one of the ones going to be shafted when reviews come out that we are looking at Dozer 2? Ryzen at this point is 8c/16t and the 7700K is 4c/8t. IPC for Ryzen has been guessed at; has not been released yet.

Even Microcenter has not done anything substantial to the Intel 8c parts; something AMD has on the table with Ryzen. If what I am looking at with a 1700X is a direct competitor to the 7700K then I can be laughed at for spending more money than needed for the same level of performance. Only time will tell how this all shakes out. This article is just good unpaid advertising for Microcenter.

9. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well if the prices could drop in France for once... The I5 7600k can be found around 285€ and the I7 7700k roughly 380€ while the Ryzen 1700x is available for 450€, aoutch... :banana:

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    dunadan101
    And? prices are exactly the same in other countries. How about when your monthly wage is 700 euro and processor costs 80% of it.

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    You won't get much of prices reduction for LGA 2011. More likely Coffee Lake will receive 6-core i5 and 8-core i7 for LGA 1151 with new respective prices.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That 6800k suddenly became even more attractive to me.

13. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    there is no price drop.
    these are regular in-store prices for MicroCenter and haven't changed (much) since last November when i started to look for 5820.

and the fact that this was also posted on wccftech and others last night already,
    doesnt look like anything but copy and paste to me...

and ppl making fun of intel for those fake price drops, when you dont even
    spend 2min on the web to see those were the sales prices for month, lol...

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    This inference of an intel reaction to Ryzen came in another thread recently. I looked at the last year trend in processor pricing.

For example:
    [​IMG]

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That there is explicitly why I come to Guru3D - this is one of the few review sites with a lot of content but has no bias.

17. justdoge

justdoge Active Member

GPU:
    RX580
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Perhaps my future upgrade will be AMD again after 3 Intel CPUs :)

19. okismoki

okismoki Member

GPU:
    Evga 1080ti FTW 3
    Why dont they communicate with the Duch press? Loving your site daily visits for about 15 years :D keep up the wonderfull work

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Neither did this guy....even though he's claiming others did with no evidence....Good old Charlie Douchebag...

Charlie Demerjian
    "Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something."

http://semiaccurate.com/2017/02/22/amds-ryzen-7-1800x-beats-intels-i7-6900k-half-price/