Intel introduces Coffee Lake generation of desktop processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Safe to assume you'll be making a couple of reviews then :) ?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel still does not communicate with 95% of the EU press, including Guru3D thus I have no info or samples at hand from Intel.

But yes, through other contacts I was able to get hold of an ES and will have reviews ready for the 5th.

4. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    The prices do not seem all that bad, to be honest!

5. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    our thanks for our Guru3D Commander-in-chief for his resourcefulness, waiting for the good read on the 5th, thank you Hilbert in advance.

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Not trying to "ruin it" here (reviews or ppl), but im supposed to pay more to get an unlocked cpu (vs amd), i need to pay waaayy more to get 8C/16T (X board and cpu) and only get 2666Mhz ram (at least for now).
    nope, not gonna happen.

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    You are paying for clockspeed, and i am fine with that. When amd get over 4.7 and a possible 5 ghz i will consider them.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    So...... the i3 is a quad core chip now.. ok.. that's interesting.

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    up to 40 PCIe lanes? i would have been happy with 28 lanes, but if we get the 8700k with 40 lanes that would be pretty lovely bonus to go along with the extra cores.... unless that premium range also now covers the stuff in the HEDT i7 platform

HH you able to confirm how many lanes the 8700k has?

pimpernell likes this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That is combined, the proc has 16 lanes for graphics + four for 4 DMI downwards to the chipset where the rest sits.

pimpernell likes this.

11. AlbertX

AlbertX Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1070
    Remember that Price is not to the "the final" user, that is the price to the Vendor when buying at least 1 thousand, so after shipping tax and whatever the vendor makes, so I will say the price to that table add at least 30% more.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @pimpernell
    clock speed by itself is irrelevant. unless talking about fanboys/bragging rights etc.

or would you buy brand XYZ just because it would clock to 6 GHz, even if its is only able to do half the work load in ST/MT
    vs what the (equivalent) intel/amd could do?

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    We aren't exactly talking about a whole new CPU architecture here. This is still the same old Core stuff, so you know perfectly well how the clocks affect it. The same would now for for the Zen architecture.

pimpernell likes this.
  14. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    In that case I take it back.

15. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    What exactly does this mean? What is the disadvantage of that to having 40 processor lanes? Could you please explain for us, uneducated folks? :D

16. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    For me yes, because one of the games i play most is lord of the rings online. This game is so old that core clock speed is what it depends on and nothing else. Same goes for civilization series and other heavy cpu bound strategy games. But i also do some multi thread stuff like ripping h265 blurays, bf1 and some video editing.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I just have a (silly) question, is there any substantial difference that prevents those CPUs from working on Z170/270 boards or it´s just a different BIOS in order to satisfy Intel´s greed???

Thanks in advance for a possible answer!

18. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Think it is hard to say before someone got a hold of a z370 board with a matching cpu and do some comparison tests. There are a few new features in the chipsets, but if they really wanted i guess they could make the z270 work. (if the power delivery is the same).

19. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    There's no disadvantage, that's exactly how it works right now. Part of the PCIe lanes are supplied by the CPU, the rest by the chipset and between the CPU and chipset there's a DMI (Direct Media Interface) link of a given bandwidth across which the two communicate.

To be honest I was pretty set on a Threadripper system, but I thought it would be dumb not to wait and see what Coffee Lake offered. Now that we know I think it's going to have to be yet another Intel build. I would have had a Ryzen system sitting here already if it wasn't for that horribly nerfed X370 chipset, but Z370 offers what I need with its 40 PCIe lanes. 6C/12T will no doubt be sufficient for years to come and given that the 8700K has already been overclocked to 4.8GHz on air and 5.3GHz on an AIO the performance should be superb.

A Threadripper system would have been way cooler, but also overkill and a waste of money for my use. While I do run the odd encode, gaming is really what the new system will be for and there the 8700K is unfortunately an absolute no-brainer.

pimpernell likes this.
  20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm so glad I didn't buy a slow Ryzen workstation CPU and now we get the best of both worlds! Extreme gaming performance with additional cores and threads!

pimpernell likes this.