Intel Ice Lake benchmarked - i7 performs better with lower TDP than Ryzen 7 3750H-APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2019.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Can't even imaging how is that running. I have rather simple notebook Lenovo 330s series with 2-core Ryzen 2200U. Well it's good for business apps like browsers, office etc, got NVMe and HDD for storage, but, 2200U hits 80 C in load. It's hot. And that are just 2 cores. Can't even imagine how hot are 4-core mobile Zens.

2. Marzipan

Marzipan Guest

I stand corrected, my discalculia and memory musta mixed up the #'s in my head, LoL!

3. Its has a pretty decent cooler (for a laptop) and runs pretty cool really. Its a dell inspiron 15 5585....and i did re-do all the TIM with kryonaut, but usually maxs out around 58-60 c.

Aura89 likes this.
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm just envisioning someone at Intel running this test with the chip on a test bench with a giant desktop class cooler sitting on this laptop chip so it can run at boost non stop and pull down 25+watts.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Sounds like a laptop design problem, than the chip itself, they tend to skimp on the heatsinks these days, trying to use as little copper and alluminum as possible. Thermal paste is also atrocious on most of the really cheap laptops.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    One of my laptops has a 2200u as well, and it doesn't get near that high of temps. Looks like the laptop you got was not built well, has nothing to do with ryzen.

Not all laptops even from the same manufacturer are made the same, and like has been stated earlier in this thread multiple times, makes for very inconsistent results that have little to do with the actual CPU. Given bad enough cooling, any CPU of any wattage will get too hot.

7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And yet, is not performing well compared to other 2200u systems. AKA, your system is not done well, something came loose, or you're lying.

Given the article you posted however, i'm going to go ahead and state that it's either something came loose, or you're lying.

From the article you posted:

"Moreover, it never exceeded 69C."

9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So your system doesn't work right and you blame it on ryzen? Good job blaming the right thing bud.

Again, any system with inadequate cooling or a cooling solution that is failing in some way can and will have high temps, it has nothing to do with the cpu tech.

That'd be like me taking the cpu cooler off and saying "This CPU gets to 200 degrees celsius and no longer works! This is a bad CPU!" Yeah, doesn't make much sense now does it?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    As said, it's got pretty much standard design.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And as shown, your CPU does not match an actual reviewers product. The one YOU supplied us with.

I have yet to find a single review of a laptop with a 2200u that has YOUR issue. Again, this is YOUR issue. I don't understand why this is so hard for YOU to understand.

But then again you're coth, you've done this nonsense before.

13. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Their clock speed is very low. I guess with more base clock speed, say 2,5 GHz or more TDP will massively go up.

14. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    That's same CPU. Only battery is different and SSD is pre-installed into M.2. That's same base model 330S-15ARR. And i don't need anything to understand yours. I see what i see. I see that it is hot and hits 80 C. And cooling is pretty standard, like any other budget notebook. And it have, so i know how it works. You are only speculating. Speaking of review, they tested it only for 15 seconds and they reached near 70 C. Yet no word on ambient temperature and whatever case was open or not. Americans likes to have freezing ambient temperatures in houses, like 17-20 C. We, Europeans, prefer more warming house temperatures of 26-28 C.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yearly running costs? why even include that if they apparently have the same TDP? How about part cost? Bet ya Intels part is 2x the price.

16. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    my HP 360 doesn't even hit that, 71C tops and pretty much suffocating it, with NVME a 1TB hard drive a 2500U dual channel memory and apparently people say it's configured as a 25w tdp part i do find it hits beyond it's max turbo speed hit around 3.75GHz. In any case max temps is 95C so even if running 80C it's well within the manufacture specs.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, this is a YOU problem as the article YOU provided does not show this which means YOUR product has an issue, your, SPECIFIC, laptop. It has nothing to do with ryzen, which what your entire point about stating what you stated.

As to the rest of your statements, again, it's all a YOU problem, as again, find a single article that backs you up, find a single person to back you up. You won't find any, in fact, you have found a few people in this thread that state the exact opposite. YOUR laptop has an issue, deal with that fact.

YOU having a problem does not mean the CPU is having a problem with temperatures, which again, was your entire point in posting here.

Either understand what is going on, or move along, as you clearly do not understand what is going on.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One thing I trust AMD from experience is that their chips adhere to power limits. They did that before Zen and do so now too.
    If you have trouble with temperature, cooling design is at fail. Or your device got dust in between radiator fins.

And US to European statement...
    Me, as "regular" European male I do prefer ~19-22 °C. Difference is not as much between countries/continents, but between men and women. Where women prefer usually 4~6 °C more than men.

19. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    So Intel's newest gen i7 is faster than AMD's last gen uArch R5?

Wow. Amazing. Lmao.

When Mobile APUs will launch with Zen 2 (higher IPC, higher clocks, higher efficiency), it will annihilate Ice Lake.