Intel i7 8700k cooling solution

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ivcha, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Ivcha

Ivcha Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    Hi guys,

I have just one question that bothers me last 2 weeks. I am ordering Intel i7 8700k with asus 370 Prime-A . I am now on very low remaining budget for cpu cooler. All i can afford here in my country is Cooler master 212 LED. Here in Serbia thats the only solution i can get that fits my 40 euro budget. Here is no option for Cryorig h7 or something like that. The next better air cooler would be Noctual NH-15 but its way off my budget.
    Can you guys at least give me some thoughts if 212 LED is enough for now to cool off the i7 8700k. I am not planing to overclock or something. I am just interested if it can cool off on stock clocks without any overclock. Yes i know its dumb to buy i7 8700k withhout any intention in overclock. But I didnt want to buy the i5 8600 because i wanted to get some futureproof procesor (the i7 8700 non-k is not available).
    Any sort of thought would be much apreciated.
    Thanks to all in advance.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  3. Ivcha

Ivcha Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    Thanks for answer, I was already considering 412S but i skipped it because it was 3pin cooler and probably with constant rotation on max rpm. At least i think it will be like that. I have 212 EVO on my current build i am very happy with it especailly because how quiet it is. And that was main reason for creating thread, asking if it will hold his ground with i7 8700k . And because of price that exactly fits my budget.
    Thanks again for reply. Do you think its OK solution for longer period when comes summer months and bigger temps ? To be honest i am building this pc so that it can last longer but i dont know if i should overextend my limits and borrow some money for some more expensive coolers. But if that will help with cooler and prolong life of cpu then i can consider it.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    3pin doesn’t matter. Motherboard fan headers can still regulate its speed via voltage control. Pwm is just more accurate and is able to go to lower fan speeds like 200rpm.

Anyways those will be fine even in summer since you are running stock.

5. Ivcha

Ivcha Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    Thanks, all the possible info really helps me.
    Are you familiar maybe with SSDs also ? I wanted to order NVMe 960 evo 256gb. Will I see any noticable gains VS 850evo 250gb ? I will only use pc for gaming and photoshop , adobe ilustrator , and general web development with big amounts of small files mostly (no big file transfers or something like that). Is it worth extra 50 dollars for that purpose or am I trowing money ?
    Thanks

6. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Wait, and save the small amount extra for the Noctua NH-D15 or Noctua NH-D15S if ram clearance is an issue. The 8700k can run quite hot, I wouldn't be messing around with budget coolers. A good cooler isn't expensive compared to the CPU underneath it, its just not worth skimping on. Just my 2c.

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Spend the extra 50 on the NVMe 960 evo, there is a considerable performance gain. It will be faster for longer in your system, due to the extra read and write MB/s speed headroom as SSD performance degrades over time with use. This is ideal for your usage scenario (lots of reads and writes).

8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Got a hi-end cpu, get off your wallet, Kraken x62

Got to make sure is fits in tower.

9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Just want to chime in, I have an 8700k, the Prime A, and a Cooler Master evo 212 (pretty much the same thing) and it works fine if you are not overclocking. I am overclocking and am limited due to temps because of the cooler so I plan on upgrading to a Noctua D15 here soon, however I am at 4.8ghz (-3 avx offset) and 1.22 vcore and getting around 35c idle and 85c load right now. About 90c if using Prime95. I imagine if you run stock and adjust your voltage (try 1.20 and go up, you shouldn't need much for stock) you will be completely fine and don't have to worry. You might just need to mess with your BIOS settings because Asus isn't good at Auto voltages.. Set LLC to 5 (this was a big help for my temps as my voltage was spiking very high even when manually set to 1.22). Make sure to disable Asus Multi Core Enhancement, especially since you aren't overclocking it will take effect and most likely crank your voltage and temps up. If you are going to do XMP profile for RAM (which I highly recommend) make sure to go in and set your VCCSA voltage to about 1.12 and VCCIO to 1.1 because auto might be giving it too much.

(It may not be perfect, but that is how I got a stable 4.8 OC on the CM 212 Evo.)

Edit: I'm at 1.22, not 1.21 vcore. With LLC at 5 it goes to around 1.232v while in heavier use. I was able to get to 1.18 with a 4.5 oc previously, so you may be able to go lower. 1.2 might be a good starting point.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above I would rather invest money to NH-D15 or NH-D15S rather than Coolermaster EVO 212

Friend have 8700k and he is using NH-D15S for cooling and in Asus Realbench stress test his temperatures are with 5.2GHz at 72°C on PKG that's with 1.375v and CPU is off course delided

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura