intel i3 vs AMD FX-4100

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mr_scarface, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Hm, there is something fishy here. When you compare those two reviews.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100.html
    and
    http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8150fx_8120fx_6100_and_fx_4170,2.html

Different scores for same things. Games not tested on same settings but yet, the same resolution. Xbitlabs use HQ mode with HD6970, while Legionhardware use maximum settings without AA. Xbitlabs state that they use HQ settings in order to simulate future GPU. While Legionhardware use GTX580 OC version, and it seems that superior GPU with maximum settings goes into limitation there. But yet HD6970 (slower card, based on review from here http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-6970-iceq-mix-review/12) still have power for going quite well on one level lower settings (HQ).

Again, larger textures require more work from CPU, RAM and whole platform, so what would happen then with i3 CPU? That review is full of BS as i can see. And they do not use any synthetic bench except SYSMark, while legion used more different... Also they used real time application, such is Winrar 4.0 and so on, and they measured time to finish and encoding performance of itunes etc, and that applications are generally in Intel favor.

I think i will still get FX when price goes down even more (and when i feel it is time to change current CPU), and as always, time will show what is true from this. I still claim that i3-2130 is slower then FX-4170 CPU by large margin, and that i3-2120 is faster then FX-4100 by small margin, but yet more expensive. I will not trust to one suspicious review, while others says different. Yet, nothing from video of actual gameplay from i3 (say BF3 on ultra...) to see how it actually works.

But here it is BF3 with i5 with quite a bit of stutter... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgrxf4iXkP4

Again, it can be hard to compare, because it can be different version of the game... but this is what i don't like on Intel CPU's, and yet is very present, so, who ever wants to buy i3 over FX, go for it, but i would prefer to have few FPS less (if any) over few FPS more with constant interuption of gameplay...

EDIT: Ok, maybe those interruptions do not have anything in common with CPU, but it is still strange to find it on Intel CPU's.

i3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7Wnm81BRY
    FX-6200, not compareble to i3, but above is a video of i5-2500k, and few posts before video of FX-4170
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT9kRq1KCoI

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I give up.

You are hell bent on getting an FX series and nothing I say or show will convince you otherwise, so go ahead.

3. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Edited post, look at those vids, find more, and tell me your opinion. Thanks.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What you don't understand is that the videos you keep posting mean jack sh!t.

What differentiates good review sites like Guru3D, Anandtech, Toms and XbitLabs from the average joe is that they are specifically set up to compare many different configurations on a level platform.

When doing reviews comparing two different CPU's, they use the same RAM, same HDD/SSD, same video card, same Power Supply and the same clean install state of Windows as well as the same benchmark run. A youtube video showing some random guy playing is useless.

Listen, I don't think you are doing this to antagonize me or anyone, but if twenty people tell you that you are wrong on a forum like this then there might be some truth to it. I really don't care which CPU you get, I'm sure you would be just as happy with an FX-41xx as with an i3-21xx. I'm telling you for your own good where the best performance and the best bang-for-the-buck can be found; if you think otherwise then go ahead and get the FX-41xx, it doesn't affect me in the least.

And you would get the same answer going to any other forum worth its salt:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344278-31-overclocked-4170-6100-intel-core

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, but what we doing here is comparing different reviews with different methodology. I know what you trying to do, but, even thought 20 dif. people says opposite, youa re the only one who posted a link that sort of prove what you said. But, i also want to tell you in different ways that your statment is half right. Most review sites get money from ads etc. and some of them from Chip makers (directly i doubt, but trough other things...). So you can't take reviews as fact anyways (that's what i said at start). Best thing to do, is to get both and test it yourself. For example that review Xbitlab you sent here, uses one trick, Intel platform can get more FPS when is less stressed, that's why they used HQ settings, not maximum. You know that with higher quality textures, you stress whole system, not only GPU, and reason why they did this is "to simulate future GPU" when in fact they do not simulate anything, they just give more room for platform that can use it better. But when you stress it completely, you get something different.

Anyways, none of us do only one task at the moment, so, i give up also, and time will tell. And even if I'm wrong, i would not make mistake, because i all ready have a platform for it, but then i can say i did make mistake to recommend something that i think it is better, but it's not, we will see...but think for a sec about that, it is not all about getting MAX from one platform in one direction, what if you do more things, or do as you like, what will suit you better then? That's the things you will not find in any reviews, maybe for reason, maybe not. But also, good thing is to support underdog, they are close anyways...

And thanks for care :), but, i just don't like big greedy corps. because i know where that leads to... and everything i say, i say for reason.

And to OP, i repeat, go directly for i5 if you care for performance, or support underdog if you care for future... (that will affect you also).

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I disagree with the whole "support the underdog attitude". If AMD falls then another company will come and take it's place, that's how the industry works. People had the same attitude in regards VIA, S3, etc, yet the computer industry is advancing at a pace never before seen and the prices are lower than ever even with them gone from the mainstream picture.

If AMD had a good CPU out that was competitive with Intel then I would have no qualms recommending it, just like I had no qualms in the A64 era recommending AMD over Intel Netburst's (and I had an AMD back then); what I will not do is recommend to people to buy an inferior product out of brand loyalty.

Also, if they were to raise the graphic options to the max and then raise it to a ridiculous resolution as well you would see that the graph would damn near go flat because at that point you are GPU limited instead of CPU limited. Raising the texture levels, etc, has nowhere the effect on the CPU compared to the GPU. What does affect the CPU is physics, AI, etc.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    @Tweakpower, you totally lost me on that last post, however while looking at the articles u linked I did notice something on Legion Hardware's page:

^^^^
    A Load of misleading bollocks...

The 8150 DID NOT perform better at 1900x1200 res, or match the 2600K performance. They were both GPU LIMITED YOU STUPID FUCTARD reviewer so of course they showed equal fps. :wanker:

Seriously who did this review, AMD must be paying you. I will never read anything from that site again...

[​IMG]

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Agreed, i also dont go to tweaktown either

9. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Ok, we can only hope that you are right, because that's the way it will go probably (as we can see it now). You know very good how market works, it is not fair ground, who pays to who more etc. that is not the secret at all, but it is different topic, somehow related to this one. About the other thing and rising graphic, let's see if FX and i3 would be able to run next gen. games, with different type of optimisations, there and then, we will see which CPU is really more powerful, until then, we can just speculate, but if that one review is true, then at the moment, and with current games, i3 would be better, still i have to see one to works as it should (who knows why i didn't, other things then CPU related).

That's what i thought first. But then, asked simple question, is it possible for GPU that is slower (HD6970) not to run in the CPU limitation, and there intel CPU's take big lead, only because of HQ settings, not maxed without AA, and not to beat any GPU, but GTX580 OC version, while regular GTX580 was quite faster then HD6970 when reviewed (on same settings ofc.). That was strange, but can be true, still, without high end hardware to test it, i cannot know that.

But honestly, who ever leads in this type of market, it leads by tricks and scams. Here is how i see the chain MS+Intel+nVidia. Example, I'm general director (or something...) in Intel, corp. where i work have good ground for start, i pay to MS, to make OS that will be better suited for mine product, out of that, i get better share = more profit = better ground for future development = monopoly. What should happen to me to get bankrupt, or staying behind competition is another revolutionary product from competition, otherwise, I'm untouchable and always one step ahead (min.). Time of revolutionary things is long gone, so I'm safe ;). That's how i see it, it should be much more luck then knowledge for competition to bring something that will put me out for a while or for very long time, xhances are very small, and i can "safely risk" that since i have no other option. Or i can bring prices even lower, but that means future development can be at risk, and all profit will be focused on cleaning competition. You are right about one thing, it is better for Intel to have weak AMD then no AMD at all. We will see how it will go, but larger corporations, with no competition, that's not good in this type of system, for us ofc. You can disagree, but that will not change things at all.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    which guys defended tweakpower now?? u know who you are lol. I call em like I see em!!

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Who defended who? I don't have a clu what you talk about, I'm not related to AMD nor Intel if that's what you mean, and if it was a joke, it is a bit harsh one :)

But if you really don't think that this is how the world and life works (not only PC market, but all markets) then, i can only hope for you not to find out on harder way. Cheers ;). FX is faster! :p

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK really not following you there....but anyway as for Intel they would rather see AMD buried.

About 4yrs ago Intel tried to bully AMD out of the CPU market and almost succeeded...that's going a bit OT anyway so...yeah.

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Maybe it is, i didn't folowed at that time, but in Pentium 4 era, as i can remember AMD had domination over Intel? But it didn't used monopoly, that's why i supported them always.

For part that you can't follow me, it's 13h soon and 34c outside without wind, so... maybe i mixed something out (very possible lol). Anyways, maybe i just can't resist natural instinct to help the weaker one, and caring that even to corps. As in sport, i always (when i watch, rarely) support the weaker one, or non favorite :).

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ramble on much? I have yet to read one of your posts fully. Back up what u say or GTFO.

15. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    WOW, Tough guy..., I don't really have to prove to you anything, i think i did, and since i don't need to insult not so important person in mine life, i will leave you in your anger. If youa re close to me, and you said GTFO, that would be the last thing you said to me.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    You proved fx is slower than i3. Run along now.

17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    You said that, i really don't wont to argue with people that look only at one direction and refuse to see all factors. I can't prove you anything now, except what i did, some syn. bnc. 3dMark 06 CPU score, and price difference.

I don't think you quite get some things considered with industry. You can't put Cube in Sphere (who understand, will understand...), and I'm out of this topic and arguing with so many people that think different. Time will tell everything, at that time, you will most probably forget about this topic and all you and me was said.

I'm very sorry for this misunderstanding. But at the end, i will not get played by anyone, while you choose what will happen to you, and i have nothing with that, until time come that will affect me even more. When that time comes, you will not understand what's happening. For anything i say, i have a reason, what is yours, except to copy someone else opinion, i do not know.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Blah blah blah the fx is faster lol

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Please do not threaten people with physical violence. That's a good way to get in trouble here

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    To be fair you guys are hassling him quite a bit. I mean yeah he's wrong, but still.