Intel Horse Ridge is a rather cool chip for quantum computers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    22nm? So far this doesn't really differ from what they seem to release lately... :D
    Yeah... sorry for the evil pun. But it also makes sense, since they ramp up 22nm fabs to produce linked one and this one for better fab utilization.

On a more serious note, I'm certainly surprised that they don't use 14nm+++ for such high paying customers as quantum computing manufacturers / departments. Is there a technical reason for that, does anybody know?

3. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I would be concerned with intel and its security problems. They cant handle the security of their chips.

If anyone creates a skynet, it will be thru intels security flaw in one of their chips.

angelgraves13 and DLG like this.
  4. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Just means the science group with Intel personnel in it has access to some multi-billion dollar machine to make a couple of wafers of an experimental chip that's probably running at below 0.1W, clocking in the MHz range...and is a 22nm device. The crux of the news is they managed to make a chip that can be used more or less inside a near absolute zero point cooling device, as you don't want any heat dissipation in there. Even thinking about heat affects a device like that. Hence the pun: Intel's coolest chip :D

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Horse Ridge? The naming is odd.

6. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    "Ridge" is used by AMD.. Bristol Ridge... Pinnacle Ridge... Raven Ridge... Summit Ridge...

Also it's not 1 April...

7. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Word on the street is that AMD has a chip that can beat INTEL's called, "THE HORSE WHISPERER."

Hope someone gets the joke.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Security is completely irrelevant when it comes to quantum computers doing their work. Obviously there may be some interest in protecting the data that goes in or out of these computers, but, at that point the data can be processed in binary again using whatever security method you prefer.
    *sigh* There's not going to be a Skynet or anything like it.

9. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    binary computing: yes, no; on, off

quantum computing: maybe on; maybe off; maybe here, maybe there, maybe. I wish them luck with that.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    By that logic, you're telling me that if a respected scientist said "it is possible to produce energy by snapping your fingers" that they'd most certainly right? Because anyone who knows the first law of thermodynamics will say that's impossible, and they'd be unquestionably right.

So no, a distinguished scientist is one who makes a logical hypothesis using empirical data, preferably one backed up by math if possible. If such data doesn't exist, it must be experimented on. To do otherwise isn't scientific.
    If you don't have evidence to back up your claims, it's not science: it's faith. If your hypothesis isn't based on data (let alone logical), it's not science: it's an opinion. If you want to argue about how the laws of physics change in alternate universes, well, that's irrelevant since that's not the universe we live in. This is why for example the theory of dark matter/energy is disputed.

So, anyone who believes robots are going to enslave/eradicate humanity doesn't have a strong understanding of business, psychology, robotic engineering, geography, or sustainability. Even in the already absurdly unlikely event that a corporation would create a sentient army of robots with an uncontrollable urge to eradicate all humans, there is a large checklist of substantial obstacles those robots would face to "complete" their goal.
    Is it literally impossible? No, but, the probability of something like this ever happening is so infinitesimally small that it is effectively impossible. And this was giving the best case scenario - there is no financial incentive for any organization to make such robots, let alone enough to even threaten a small country. That means the first obstacle you'd have to overcome for such a scenario to happen is already a nearly 0% chance of happening.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    H83 likes this.
  12. Security is a ambiguous concept on this infant platform. Beyond the rudimentary, much is hypothetical, theoretical and still debatable as to what is and or could be "quantum computing"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2019
  13. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Its the Ridge part of the name that will help Intel sell some of their chips, some will get confused and think they brought an Amd chip :p

14. Question #1: How the hell does one design a quantum control chip? I understand electrical theory enough to at least have a grasp on how semi-conductors are made and why they are made that way......but it seems like that all flies out the window with quantum systems. I still feel like a total noob every time i start to read up on quantum computing....and of course, hands-on use is not available to me.
    Question #2: are those reverse SMA connectors all over it? They do seem to indicate that they control the actual quantum chip via RF, so is this basically an RF signal processor?
    Question #3: so quantum cryptography has been a thing for a while now.....but would any and all security for a quantum computer have the benefits of quantum cryptography? All this stuff is still so experimental, i fear i won't understand properly until I get my hands on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2019
  15. Also, i kind of doubt that security is an issue at this stage.....hard to imagine that quantum computers are susceptible to exploit in the traditional sense. How you gonna exploit it when you have no way of accessing quantum hardware nor any qubit software? Do they even hook up to ip networks?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2019
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I think the idea is to put the control chip on one side of a huge PCB and then let the part with all the wiring sticking out be inside the supercooled environment...making it function like a Northpole bridge regulating the quantum gizmos inside.

17. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    That's an Arthur C. Clarke line, it was meant mainly in jest, though I think it mostly holds true on a long enough timeline. I also try to never underestimate humanity's capacity for stupidity and shortsightedness, so for that reason, I entertain the concept of some sort of robot/ai based disaster. Unlikely as it may be.

HybOj likes this.
  18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    To each their own. I don't argue with opinions, let alone about the distant future.
    It is good to not underestimate how stupid and shortsighted the average person can be, and I see nothing wrong at all with entertaining an idea. However, creating such a robot creates great intelligence, and a robot apocalypse would be so much of a logistical nightmare that there couldn't possibly be done without extensive planning. Ironically, people are so paranoid about a robot uprising that developers would have to try extra hard to reassure it isn't going to happen.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    There goes my plan to conquer the world out of the window... So, what´s my next idea, maybe an alien invasion...

schmidtbag likes this.
  20. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    If a security is of no concern, than it makes sense its a job for intel