1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel has record sales of Core i7 and K-model processors in declining CPU market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Still on a 2500K and see no reason to upgrade :p

My "upgrade" was a €70 cooler and a 4.2GHz OC.

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Just have a look at the amount of revenue Intel generates. It's an insane amount. Although it's still not enough for some, causing the stock price to drop. After all, a practical monopoly could still generate more. Intel's margins are so large that most manufacturing industries, or any industries at all, could only dream of such, but due to competition it will never be more than a dream. In any healthy market, margins that big would have never developed or if they had for some reason, the companies would need to reduce them in order to stay competitive. But Intel can afford to keep the margins as they are despite rising R&D. They tried the same with SSDs, but, surprise surprise, it didn't make them the market leader because there's actually competition there.

3. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Yup. It's still early days but the Skylake processor actually has at least half the errata of previous chips.. so if anything it's the most robust yet.

I expect with Kaby Lake being a somewhat minor revision on the CPU side of things (whole new GPU though) it might have even less errata than Skylake!

I guess if people use integrated graphics they'll really like Kaby Lake.. I don't think they're doing a >65W GT4 model or a 128MB eDRAM version for desktop unfortunately.

That >45W BGA1440 256MB eDRAM GT4 should kick some serious ass. If only they'd do a desktop version of that at 140W and also a GPU-less version of it Intel would be demolishing.

Dunno why Intel don't bother with a truly high performance quad core for gaming.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    Same here, wasn't gonna pay the inflated prices for a 6700K.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Intel is fighting itself a decade now, but the fight intensified when their release the golden egg- Sandy Bridge, best cpus ever made.

They can't beat them in performance, just in features which is probably why a lot of SB users upgrading.

Intel vs Intel= Intel wins, amd is no threat to intel at all, zen might swing it a bit back.

6. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Shop at the same vendor, but down here in the hammer. They were out of them as well, though talking with the kid at the counter he recommended the I7-5930k over the 6700k or 6600k. At the time the 5930k was $200off so I picked it up with an Asus Rampage board.

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    2011 for SB .. I still see absolutaly no reason to upgrade my 4.8gh runing 2700k . I've not see it anywhere near maxed in real world apps.

I dont care about energy consumption, not big enough to make a difference in my world.

So until games require 8 core I wont be upgrading the cpu.

8. gnurd

gnurd New Member

GPU:
    295x2x2 quadfire
    Now I've finally jumped from the 2600k to 5930k this week. Great setup! My expectations for Skylake-E are very low. Not willing to wait for 5% better performance for 40% more cost.

Upgrade was for I/O performance, not per-core compute. PCIe SSDs will do that.

That 2600k is still relevant though. Can't wait to rebuild that board into something cool.

Near-zero expectations for Intel HEDP for the next two years...

9. amit

amit Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5970 -EK block
    I just got my 6700k a day ago. still haven't decided about which motherboard I m gonna buy. Its confusing :/.

Anyways, upgrading my old x58 x5650 to this one. I was feeling old with 1st gen i7/xeon setup I had. Though its still serving me well, I thought its time to upgrade for IPC performance improvement over 6 years old tech.