Intel Expands on Xe Product positioning - Shows DG1 Development card photos and Xe Slides

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    insp1re2600 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
  3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What do you mean?

4. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    They are aiming for entry level so could be around that level of performance.

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    interesting alien style heatsink design
    to be honest I don't understand what this is for, they talk mobile, cars, servers and use a game to demo it ? so pretty much everything the only thing missing is Todd Howard saying "it just works" lol

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why is this surprising? Most GPU architectures span multiple markets. Turing is used in games, data center and cars for example. Vega is used in mobile, data center and games.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Excellent. The more competing the better.

8. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    we need this more than we want it. nvidia has reigned supreme over this scene for the longest time exhausting most consumers with their ridiculous prices, it has to end. I just hope intel doesn't follow suite with the pricing.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Less then 75w? Card can will end up 1050 and rx550 performance at best.

10. Typhoon2097

Typhoon2097 Guest

GPU:
    nV GTX1080Ti
    I just hope it won't be another Polaris-like endeavour... Back then I hoped that Intel was finally releasing nVidia/Ati GPU competitor, and it turned out to be a not-so-good compute-only chip...

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    If you have to judge it from those picture, it can't compete with any ati or nvidia, since it does not even have video output.

Intel is working on it and they bothered to screw a fan over a card with plastic cover, to give an image to the product, of any kind, that without it would feel like a bunch of slides and some misterious thing.

12. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    This looks like a fart honestly ... a smelly and silent one :D

I just couldn't' help it ... sorry guys.

m4dn355 likes this.
  13. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    It has 4 on the pictures.

DeskStar likes this.
  14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Not sure what you're looking at.... Might need to check the spectacles and or clean that monitor screen off....?

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    You are blind, there's three Displayport and one HDMI.

But as the others said, this is a low-end card, probably destined for OEM builds...
    Those that are expecting competition with nVidia (and AMD) will either never get it, or only on the bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest cards.

16. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I dont know why it needs them a standard VGA connector would be fine since it will be more than enough to drive 1024x768 while surfing the web and 800x600 while gaming.

I bet its on par with 8800GTS 640MB give or take ... integer scalling is a must on this one ;)

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    As if,8800 is a right jalopy Now

18. TechEnthusiast

TechEnthusiast Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti
    This is a low power sample to give developers an idea of the architecture. Not a final product. Even if they had a semi final product, they would not show it now.

We don't know what kind of scaling is possible with the architecture (see current Zen as an example. AMD just slaps a few more cores on each chip and doubles, triples, quadruples performance).
    We don't know what kind of segment this sample is from. It could very well be their entry level line, meant for Smartphones and ultrabooks. Or it could be their best shot at Datacenter compute. We just don't know at all.
    We don't know how much they are willing to show right now. You usually lowball pretty hard if you are a big player, but a newcomer in a fresh segment of the market. There is enough Hype around this without any big promises, just because it is a big player like Intel.
    If they push it too hard, they can only disappoint, which would be a disaster for a launch product that could very well be in the 2-3 digit billion investment range.

People jumping to conclusions on final performance could just as well check with their local crystal ball at this point.
    What they need is developers giving feedback on the architecture while they can still adjust it somewhat.

19. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    You don't start building supersonic jets, when all you did before was build toys. You won't see an enthusiast gpu from Intel until 2022 if ever. This is what happens when your real product has stagnated, but you still have $100 billion dollars to start experimenting. Intel will never be the go to Gpu provider. But when you have more money than common sense you can talk yourself in to anything. Yes Yes Yes I know competition is good for pricing for the consumer. Look at the AMD/Nvidia competition. Prices are so low I don't know who to buy from, maybe one from each company. [​IMG]

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I am happy there is a 3rd player coming. I don't expect them to do much in the first round or 2 of releases but they may eventually give AMD and Nvidia some actual competition.

I would be happier if the 3rd player were some other company that wasn't already a bit... greedy? But whatever. It's a 3rd option. Maybe.