Intel Expands 10nm Manufacturing Capacity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 24, 2020.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    they could, but they won't.
    Intel's business plan includes fabbing their own product. they have spent more than the annual GDP of many small nations on fabs, to make a finer point they have spent more on fabs than AMD's gross profit until two years ago. as this is a business they need to show a return on their investments.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    In response to customer demand for the 10nm CPUs Intel constantly says it is close to shipping, customers have demanded more? More of what? I don't think so..... "Our customers demand more of our 14nm CPUs, and so we are building 10nm FABs to satisfy the demand for our current 14nm products!" Yes, indeed--only Intel thinks with such tortured logic. The FABS were originally scheduled years ago, of course, long before 10nm was a glint in Intel's eye. I like Intel's "PCIe4-ready" moniker on some of its current 10nm laptops! Brilliant, that...[not.] Customer: "OK, where can I order PCIe4 mode to go for this new 10nm surface-mounted Intel CPU PCIe3 laptop?" If there was no Zen2/3 and beyond Intel would ship 14nm in perpetuity, no doubt.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, Intel has money to burn--threw away literally billions of dollars on pushing the dead horse of RDRAM and Itanium--only to lose that race to AMD's Opteron/ x86-64 and DDR SDRAM. What people seem to have difficulty understanding is that it isn't how much a company spends on R&D that counts nearly so much as what the company gets in terms of sellable products from their expenditures! AMD has demonstrably done far better spending far less. Intel is too big to be manageable--I've said that many times. It should spin off a CPU division, imo, at the least.

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    you're not wrong.
    but as an Intel shareholder (of aagh! decades) i would hope a restructuring is in order, not sale (tho' i'm sure the terms would be favorable to my retirement) just because of the scale of magnitude to the economy and to the market. i'm not a fan of the executive suite the last 10 years and i went big into AMD after their glo flo spin off (yes, pins and needles for three years on that one). just because of YOUR point re: Intel's manageability and of course buying low.