Intel Documents shows two eight-core Coffee Lake based processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I play games for visual candy, not to get 200fps+, 75+fps min still looks fluid on a 144hz vsync monitor, idk about you though.

But to each their own.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't know about other games, but fighting game tournaments are done on a level playing field (you have your own fight stick or gamepad, but that's about it). I'd imagine CSGO or Overwatch players would be able to use their own peripherals (mouse and keyboard), but monitors and PCs are probably provided by the hosts or sponsors. Tournaments are about testing a player's skills, not their hardware advantage.

Although I understand the benefits of having a high refresh rate monitor (I use a 1440p/144hz monitor myself), I don't think there is as big an advantage as you are making it out to be. A 300 hz monitor is complete overkill in my opinion, and seeing as how Ryzen is able to get triple digit frame rates in many competitive games, I really don't see an issue. You seem to have a peculiar obsession with extreme frame rates, as if 200+ FPS is absolutely necessary to be successful.

As a long-time FPS gamer, I've found that there is virtually no benefit in trying to max out the refresh rate on my monitor. I can clearly notice a difference going from 45 FPS to 60, but beyond 90 I find it difficult to tell (honestly, if there wasn't a FPS counter then I probably couldn't tell at all). Like many others, I care about the quality of the overall gameplay, and if it was a choice between running a game at 100 FPS @ 1440p @ high quality vs 200 FPS @ 720p @ low quality I would choose the former every single time. FPS is not the be-all and end-all.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Enough, enough. Ugh. You haven't even played the game competitively. You don't know what the game needs.

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    There is a reason why competitive fps gamers don't play vsynced at 60fps lol, I'm not even sure whether what I'm reading in this thread is meant to be a joke or just some kind of mindf*ckery.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    XD a fail game is a fail.

I played Fear combat over 3k hours and that is 10x is more competitive then this crap.

6. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You need to google what competitive gaming actually is because Fear Combat sure is not it.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you realize that you need big tournaments, TV coverage, sponsors, prizes, ... . Otherwise it is not competitive...

j/k

Throwing marbles to hole in ground easily classifies as competitive game. I have 16 hours on CS:S and 78 on CS:GO, that's nothing against thousands on original CS.
    Tribes Ascend, Toxikk are good competitive games and ones where one can appreciate high fps. In CS:GO, I can say that high fps makes big difference in terms of enjoyment of fluid image. But players knowing their game do not need more than 60, they simply know where to throw flash, how long to wait before moving and where to expect enemy based on sound or other indicator. In CS 1.6 that really helps a lot because there is some movement.

CS:S movements were so rubber-banding, that I simply could not stand it. CS:GO is bit better, but it still drags good player closer to bad one. In CS 1.4 and earlier, you had basically HL movement with quite some unrealistic jumps and hitting players required skill similar to TF1. CS1.6 delivers good action movement affected by tiny bit of realism.
    Good realistic movement is in R6 games, even Siege is on exceptionally good level with realism. (As long as you consider each character as highly trained and never failing to work with rope, which they are depiction of anyway.)

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Great irrelevant reply!

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ditto.

10. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    If only you knew how to use google, here, I'll help you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports

That's exactly what competitive gaming is. Tournaments, prize money where professionals play it out in a tournament. I thought it was common knowledge but it seems you kinda missed the memo. Like with many things.

@-Tj- Fear Combat is not a competitive game. In tournaments, players will not run 60fps Vsynced, they'll be lowering details to achieve the perfect performance and visuals and minimum input lag. I can't believe I have to be explaining this to people in 2018.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    @-Tj- Fear Combat is not a competitive game. In tournaments, players will not run 60fps Vsynced, they'll be lowering details to achieve the perfect performance and visuals and minimum input lag. I can't believe I have to be explaining this to people in 2018.[/QUOTE]
    As I mentioned before, the PCs and monitors used in tournaments are usually provided by the organizers or sponsors (owned peripherals are allowed, but with restrictions). Of course different tournaments have different rules, but the largest ones (with the big money) would follow these rules. They would want everyone playing on the same settings so as to level the playing field and make sure there are no undue advantages (or cheating).

The PC and monitor that pro gamers buy would be for their own systems, which are not used in tournaments. They would be for streaming or for practice/regular use.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And is this a topic what game is competitive?

Lol give me a break, what i meant by fear was it needs way better skill then this csgo crap.. and yeah I still stand by what i said before.

Also now i tasted 144hz and it didn't help much vs 60hz /fps, if a player is good no ammount of extra fps will help you to beat him, just like a super fast intel CPU.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    No, it is about some informing you, that no matter how hard you try and how seriously you may take game, you are still "casual" unless that game falls under certain money making class.

And if person happens to be total noob playing CS:GO and successfully falling into lowest tier, he is still competitive player because CS:GO is "eSport".

I can tell clearly what is competitive game: Lineage 2
    That's game where hundreds of people spent in non-stop PvP 16+ hours. Not because they wanted something, but because they wanted stop others from getting it.

Competitive player is someone who rather plays PvP game than Coop game.