Intel Documents shows two eight-core Coffee Lake based processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2018.

1. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Just try last Dos games as Daggerfall or dos Quake.. I now that Gourmet3D not testing this, but there are other webs, they have in history also X99 CPU like 5960x,6950X and some X299 Cpus is realy interesting reading, i dont link it just to show how bad Ryzen is for this, i just discovered it now:

[​IMG]

I tried it mutiple times, 40 years of history doesnt means nothing, so i do need bad site like : cpu-world.

Problem is that Gourmet3D never tested 7820X it.. I had to find out some review is there: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900x-cpu,5222.html , it looks like good compromise between cpu for gaming and work. There are loaded non-expensive boards like this:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12358/asrock-x299-extreme4-motherboard-review // 200 bucks

If you have enough money for 8700K, its not big difference, i dunno how is prices in your location, but here in europe are prices quite similar:
    - paid around 170$ for Z370 - Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming ultra board, that Asrock x299 board is just 40 bucks more
    - CPU Core i7-8700K is here - 9390 CZK ( 425$) and Core i7 7820X is 11590 CZK (525$) so its + 23 % of price difference

RzrTrek likes this.
  2. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    RzrTrek likes this.
  3. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Nobody buys a CPU based on those niche kind of reasons. Besides looking at the graphs its obvious DOSBox has a bug of some kind.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Wow, the Intel trolls are out in full force today :p. Not only that, they're still extolling the virtues of single-threaded performance, even though this news is about more cores! I bet that if Intel was to release a new 12 core chip the Intel fanboys would still preach about single threaded performance, lol.

As for the topic, I expect these new chips to have lower clocks than the six core variants - 33% more cores + same TDP + same process = lower clocks. It might finally bring the Core i7 closer to Ryzen 7, but otherwise it isn't very exciting.

I actually recently replayed Quake (on my Ryzen system), but not though dosbox - I want modern graphics and controls. Frankly, I would only use dosbox for really old titles which have no recent ports; last game I played through dosbox was Catacombs 3D. Games like Doom I also play through enhancements (like Doomsday). And as the guy above me said, there is probably some issue with dosbox and Ryzen.

I also replayed Duke Nukem 3D on Steam (also on my Ryzen system) but I actually had problems with the FPS being too high (couldn't get vsync to work correctly and there was tearing everywhere). At any rate, replaying old games is not an area where I would have complaints with my Ryzen system.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Lol, so much keyboard championship going on in this thread. Here's an idea, buy whatever suits your needs most. If you solely game and prefer Intel, buy an Intel cpu and enjoy it. If you need 16 threads for cheap, buy AMD. Do whatever you want.

I bought a 7700k because at the time it was the gaming champ and at 5ghz it still rips through games. I don't need more cores and I honestly don't care if a video encodes in 2 hours or 1h15m when I do it like twice a year.

Just buy whatever suits you and don't sh1t on others and we'll all get on. That being said, I might be intrigued by AMD if Zen2 can offer a £300 cpu with 8c/16t at 4.5ghz and no niggles. And I'm sure Intel will be offering something fairly similar too so we'll see.

Out.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Meh, my 5 year old 4930k running at 4,5 ghz is still ace... 40 pcie 3.0 lanes, means i get max bandwidth for both gpu's and it still got plenty of single thread performance so that it doesn't become the bottleneck.

I likely won't buy a new cpu till cpu's come with 40+ pcie 4.0 lanes.

metagamer likes this.
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh the poor people who pay too much attention to FPS instead of actual fluid gameplay. I so do not envy worrying about a number over how good my actual gameplay is.

8. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    I agree. Waiting to see em in action but the TDP is very weird..

9. sarsar

sarsar Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 8 GB
    Why don't you go ask the guys with 7700k how much they lost after the 8700k was introduced. And you would have to buy a new motherboard for the 8700k.

I own a 1700 and with the motherboard was 450 E and i had a chance to sold them for 300 E but the upgrade to the 2700x and a cheap motherboard was 200 E so i gave up. I will try to get a used 1920x when the newer Threadrippers arrive.

Venix likes this.
  10. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    I have to say that Intel is for, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, dummies and Amd for enthusiasts. Intel has pretty much been a turn on and go company. Whereas AMD has had some stumbling in their products. IE Ryzen release. How many updates did that require to make people happy? My point is Intel gives more of a confidence in your purchase to your average person that know s little about computing. Amd offers more for your money but you have to know what you are doing to wrestle the most out of it. Amd has come a looong way and I am still waiting for the dust to settle to see which company I go with to build a new rig. I am currently running a 4790k and it needs to be retired. Let the fireworks begin......:rolleyes:

Noisiv likes this.

11. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb

seriously ?? DOSBOX ? oook ...well only the fact that you see bulldozer cpus at the same level as ryzen should indicate that something is up ...even if you are building a pc and you care so much for dos box ...you are going to run software renderers ? for real ?and even if you run software renderers .... are 60 fps not enough for dos games ? does monkey island 2 need 144 fps ? or you prefer screamer rally over forza ? and if you are so concern about dos ....why don't you build an era appropriate pc for dirt cheap and enjoy all those games with out emulation ?

12. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I remember games back from that day of age, even Quake 3 was unplayable at high fps, they where designed for 60fps with vsync, after that they go so fast you can't react, unless your reaction time is in the micro seconds.

Aura89 likes this.
  13. D3Master

D3Master Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Whoa whoa whoa since when is compatibility a con? And is 1700x non functional when 2700x came out? One that upgrades from 1700x to 2700x is definitely one that upgrades from 7700k to 8700k(it's 50% more cores!) and then to 9700k and a bunch of extra motherboards for no reason at all. It's rediculous someone blames AMD for that.

Aura89 likes this.
  14. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    what? your logic is seriously flawed.... "their solutions offer less performance" what is this? how can we take you srsly?
    not sure if you're joking or just wanna justify buying intel

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    When I 1st started seeing 2700X benchmarks I must say I was pleased too see it catch up to Intel so well in games, I bought one the other day, but what really surprised me is that since after reading lots of motherboard reviews that happened to look at 1700x / 1800X Vs 2700X performance (also on the older X370 boards) I see a few things:

DDR4 compatibility is Incredibly improved even for the X370 days for 1X00X chips
    1X00X chips have very much also closed the gap to Intel since release day reviews in games.

2700X gen chips will always have better DDR4 support than the 1000 series due to the onboard memory controllers.
    2700X even plays nice with Hynix based DDR4 memory kits running at 3200 / 3400 XMP2 profiles no problem on boards I have been looking at like the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Still, in all this it is going to be fun to see Intel make stronger moves to counter this good and still Ryzen AMD competition :) (maybe a lil sry for pun, maybe lol)

16. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1400 MHz
    If you had bought the systems at the time of the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 X2 CPU's the AMD would have been the faster/longer lasting one. But I agree that most of the time Intel had faster CPUs.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    I bought my 7600K just for that reason, well, not specifically, but because my favorite game only use one core and I wanted a cheap replacement for my 2600K with fast cores.

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Apparently Intel will be out at 10nm for mainstream chips by 2020 due to lots of issues with their 10nm process, but Ryzen 3000 at 7nm will be out next year and possibly with up to 12 cores on the AM4 socket :)

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    DOSBox? That thing has to be set up accordingly, and even then it uses only 50% of cycles available to freaking 2400G...
    [​IMG]

20. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Some people still live in imaginary world where all old software bugs would be fixed and all software would be recompiled and remastered for all new architectures.. its not gonna happens.

Do you rember AMD K6 3D line, there was patch for Quake II, which doubled Quake performace because of use new 3D now instructions, but such patches existed only for few games, most of games were slow.

History matters, so Intel still has its advantages.. its not such simple as that modern games in 4k and Winzip multicore benchmarks matters.. What about broken IOMMU Ryzen groups for virtualization?

Im not Intel fan, i had lots of AMD cpu in the past, but if you want best gaming CPU its still intel. Someone people probably need to feel so clever that they saved some bucks when they bought Ryzen CPU - they are best performance for buck CPUS, but arent flawless uber CPU line best for everything..

Last edited: May 28, 2018