Intel DG2 GPU To Get Released This Year features Ray Tracing support natively

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    nick0323, DeskStar and Loobyluggs like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I am really interested in this

nick0323 and DeskStar like this.
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Mostly interested for a third party to the table . Maybe prices come back to AFFORDABLE levels .

Neo Cyrus, DeskStar and rl66 like this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That would be logic, however, you now have three GPU manufacturers fighting over TSMC production capacity, that process works with bidding, which again can drive prices up.

Elder III, Aura89, nick0323 and 7 others like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    When I noticed video card prices jumped 100 euros from last week, I'm certainly more and more eager to see a third manufacturer enter the GPU market. Intel might not have traditionally been the one to drive prices down, but when they are the newcomer starting from zero, they can't very well price their products too high, unless the cards are totally out of this world performance wise. But they won't be.

6. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    It could. But I doubt Intel's induction to the GPU game will drive the demand for GPUs to increase. Which could mean that TSMC will still have to provide the same amount of silicon, but with a different distribution ratio.

DeskStar likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I hope it too, but the word "affortable"... maybe i am pessimistic lol.

8. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I doubt Intel would greatly undercut the competition in price, probably make it within 10% of competitor prices assuming comparable output even as the new player to the market (based on their pricing approaches in other products).

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not about demand. But about price of supply. TSMC has limited production capacity. If you want what AMD/nVidia want, you'll have to pay more when negotiating capacity.
    And then they'll top your bid. And price of silicon goes up => GPU's go up in price as result.

NesteaZen and tunejunky like this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    hmmm well if it is on 7nm too ... we will have everything ryzen epyc and threadripper there ...radeons ... and now intel gpus ..... if dg 2 eats only on amds sales will be the same .... nvidia is on samsung .... but if dg2 eat a bit from nvidia sales too that would mean more strain to that foundry ... more bids etc ... anyway we will see till they come out the production might be caught up ...somewhat with the demand

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    color me intrugued.not gonna experimient though,I'll only consider it if it's truly a better product.
    boy,1st gen intel cards releasing faster and more stable than rdna would be ironic.
    that 6nm would be hella expensive.just look at 7nm enhanced.

that also mean that tsmc will have to handle all amd and intel 6/7nm gpus as well as all console variants.
    meanwhile nvidia is probably gonna go with samsung's 5nm next round and have 8nm exclusively for gaming ampere .... and some said their decision was "the dumbest ever".....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    6nm is just a name it's like 7nm v2

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    That would be the logic but as HH said, TSMC production is limited and companies bid for it. Unless Global Foundries and Samsung step up, we won't see lower prices anytime soon.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If Intel releases something competitive (including price) and actually has product available, I'll buy it. Though if I were a Windows user, I'd be real hesitant to buy it - Intel is pretty quick to abandon outdated products on Windows, and this GPU series is going to need a lot of TLC to be fully caught up.

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I would rather have more refined and compatible driver from Intel than adding RT.

16. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Man. So many different things going on in my mind right now.

Lack of production for true products that will make a level playing field between manufacturing companies. To many hands in the pot reaching for their piece of that proverbial pie!

Intel seems like they may be doing this in order to hinder some of the supplies to other parts of the industry. I mean not exactly for them reasons, but there's no way their first foray into the GPU realm they're going to best the competition in a way that makes people truly want to jump ship....

I see it slowing down the production of true products that people are/do want now and to come.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It isn't their first. This may be their first dGPU that's actually worth anyone's interest, but Intel has made good iGPUs since Sandy Bridge. I know, a lot of you are about to burst out laughing over how ridiculous that sounds, but that's because all many of you care about is 3D performance, which is not what should be the top priority of an integrated GPU. It should first and foremost be as widely compatible with graphics technologies as it can be (which for Intel, it usually is, if you exclude proprietary Nvidia tech) and secondly, it should be able to handle them efficiency. Intel for a long while was the only solution to build a custom HTPC with 4K video playback in a sub-20W system, with support for a wide range of codecs. Intel has offered enough performance to handle GPU accelerated applications like web browsers, photo editors, and office suites. In the couple of times where Intel included a large cache for the iGPU, it would outperform AMD's best in gaming benchmarks.

So, Intel for a while has known how to make something good, it's just only now have they bothered to enhance and upscale it. I'm not sure why it took them so long.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Is this your way of saying politely that we are ******?...

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the machine lines running 7nm are not the ones running 6nm, different part of the factory.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Intel has never made a GPU from start to finish before, all their igp's are derived from aquisitions and larabee never made it out of RND (as a graphics card)

NesteaZen likes this.