Intel DG1 GPU incompatible with the AMD Ryzen platform and high-end Intel mobos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2021.

1. SlickR

SlickR Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Its probably a garbage card that performs extremely poorly, so this isn't really an issue. If they actually do this as a business model for all their GPU's though no one is going to buy these cards, quite literally.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I think Intel is better off delaying than releasing something mediocre with so many restrictions. This isn't helping their image.

It makes sense why Intel would release this first though - if their first GPU was the best they had to offer, it would be an assured disappointment, because there wouldn't be enough bug fixes and driver optimizations. First impressions matter. A lot of such things can't really happen until they get enough bug reports in.

So yeah, this product is practically dead-before-arrival, and I'm pretty sure they're not stupid enough to realize this.

3. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I believe this is *precisely* what is happening here.

This was very obviously not a case of, "Hey, boss! You know that video card we've been working on? Guess what? It only works with certain chipsets. Good thing all of them are ours! Let's go eat." This is clearly by design.

I believe these are intended as the graphic cards for upcoming Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, etc. "gaming" pre-builts, which will presumably free these OEMs of the turmoil of the graphic card market, as they'll be for their exclusive use. At least, that is what I'm guessing is the plan. Namely, a fixed bill-of-materials along with a "locked-in" reliable source for the GPU, the PCB+components, and graphics memory.

However, another shoe, or two, has to drop; which fab is manufacturing the chip on a long-term, production basis, and who is manufacturing the balance of the card?

HandR likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    hard to explain this
    are they moving the igpu to a dedicated card ?
    what is the real point of a 640 shader gpu with lpddr4 ?
    and why ? an apu would be better

that would be a very good explenation
    but this can't play pc games
    that gpu could be enough for a handheld,maybe

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    absolutely standard oem practice.

you'd be surprised how many oems lock their hardware down to working with only their oem configuration.

6. bipman

bipman Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 / 4GB
    It's a joke.But not the funny one.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Can't wait for rdna2 apu to wipe the floor with that wannabe igpu/dgpu monstrosity.

What a waste of pcb, silicon and radiators ( and some plastic too).

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Why are they even bothering, seriously?

9. Freitlein

Freitlein Member

GPU:
    VII
    rumor: That was a main part of the patent trade agreement between AMD and Intel. Some knowledge of CPU technology for some knowledge of GPU technology but please be very gentle with it.
    Or Intel is simply incapable of doing its core business, which is very unlikely. ;)

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    But Nvidia works on AMD systems so no.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not that bad. While images are taken from side which does not show PCIe-power, I have feeling that it will be powered from PCIe slot.
    That means their 4096 shader version may fit to 300W without compromising clock. (Well, it is not clocked that high anyway.)