Intel Desktop PC: Should integrated graphics be disabled from BIOS/UEFI when using a dedicated GPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by octoreach, May 20, 2023.

1. octoreach

octoreach Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    I'm running an MSI Z790 board and the default setting in the UEFI for "IGD Multi-Monitor" ("IGPU Multi-Monitor" on an older system) is Enabled. I have an NVidia card installed, which is set as primary ("Initiate Graphics Adapter" or "Primary Graphics Adapter" set to PEG)

I was wondering what are the pros and cons, if any, of leaving it like this and whether it's better to disable it, if not benefiting of anything? Any impact?
    Historically I've disabled the IGD Multi-Monitor feature and ran just fine, but just noticed that the default seems to be for it to be Enabled on my new mobo.

Potential reasons for leaving it ON:
    • If you specifically want to use Intel QSV (QuickSync) video encoding and/or decoding, otherwise you cannot access the iGPU it seems (from my testing with ffmpeg, OBS Studio)
    • If you specifically want to connect a monitor to the motherboard's video outputs instead of the dedicated card's, actually using the BIOS "multi-monitor" feature. Don't know exact scenario where you would need that.
    For disabling it:
    • One less GPU exposed by the OS to all software: might this lead to better stability in certain scenarios? Are there any known programs which get confused by having 2 GPUs active?
    • One less driver and potentially service/exe loaded (or is it that some are still loaded even when the iGPU is disabled?)

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    I always have disabled igpu in the bios as im not using it. Same goes for both amd or intel. Things are different in laptops you need both igpu and dgpu.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    On a gaming PC I only enable the iGPU when solving problems related to GPU function or physical connection.
    Otherwise its always disabled.
    Less hassle.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    You should have it disabled unless you specifically need to have it on. On my Asys Z690 mobo iGPU gets automatically disabled if dGPU is detected. You have to manually go into BIOS and enabled it.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I use the Intel iGPU for the second monitor. That way, the AMD GPU memory clock does not run at full speed all the time. I have been doing this for years.

What you need to be mindful of is the uncore clock. If you overclock it too far, the iGPU might become unstable and the driver will crash but generally recover. That's my experience anyway.

Coldblackice likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD gpu is still used to drive both displays, the igpu is only used to present it, unless using windows 11 and use the display settings to run apps on the intel.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  7. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    iGP only drives second monitor if that is plugged into motherboard video port.

Coldblackice likes this.
  8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Which is what I do... Maybe the way I worded my reasoning wasn't clear enough.:) I connect the second monitor to the Intel iGPU (motherboard HDMI port) so that the AMD GPU memory clock runs at 200MHz at idle instead of 1750MHz all the time.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unless you're actually using QuickSync or using the iGPU to drive a display, there's no logical reason for the iGPU to be enabled with a functional dGPU installed.

Coldblackice likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    under windows 11 you can shift off web browsers and discord to the IGP instead of wasting GPU/Vram on the dgpu.

11. octoreach

octoreach Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    You mean from the Graphics / Custom options for apps? Where you can select Options for each of them and pick either "Power saving" or "High performance" and which GPU? I haven't tried that.

Is there any considerable overhead for letting the drivers and associated Intel GPU services (and Graphics Command Center) running, if you keep the IGPU enabled when using a discrete one as well, regradless of use case scenario?

Coldblackice likes this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Does that also work when playing a game while having the browser open?

Game on dGPU and browser on iGPU?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yep

Coldblackice likes this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That's pretty neat actually.

15. octoreach

octoreach Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Interesting. Makes me wonder what sort of percentage is wasted with these and the performance impact under gaming. I mean, the Electron apps sure consume a lot of RAM, but what about the VRAM and the GPU load? I suppose they only load the GPU when their window is in the foreground, in a multi-monitor scenario.

any idea on the following?

Coldblackice likes this.

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    BTW, I changed to Nvidia and it's the complete opposite of AMD. Now, not only don't I have to use CRU to change the vertical blanking of the primary monitor (one less thing to remember doing :cool:) to avoid running the memory clock at full speed but I can also connect the second monitor to the Nvidia GPU and still the memory will run at idle clocks.

Coldblackice likes this.