Intel cuts off DiY desktop processor supply chain deliveries for Q4 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Not everyone, the XP+ were inequal depending on model and with the same name some are better and some don't, the barton were good with big cache and faster link.
    But the real good one were X64 on socket 939...

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Adding to this: It's not as though modern CPUs/boards officially support XP on back so vintage support isn't good for either. Having separate machines for legacy OS, games, etc., is better unless space is an issue.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Loved my Anthlon XP 2000, and i am sure i saw it at the bottom of a old junk box recently. lol

4. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    Someone who values single core performance. Alot of older games only use less then 4 threads. I personally would not use AMD. I suffered with them for years with the Phenom 2 and Pile driver. I wont buy another CPU made by AMD. Intel runs apps smoother and better IMO. I think AMD is the popular choice right now but people who value a good gaming experience again IMO

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How is that a point I'm missing? This has little to nothing to do with AMD; note how I didn't bring them up in the block you quoted.
    I understand that, but let's assume for a moment that maybe only 5% of the CPUs Intel makes are sold as individual items for DIY builders. How is eliminating that going to be enough to make up for the demand? 5% might be enough to supply 1 big customer, but Intel has a lot more than just 1.
    I highly doubt that. First of all, OEMs that buy in bulk often supply their own heatsinks. That's 1 less component for Intel to manufacture, part out, box, and ship. When you're accounting for thousands of products, that adds up. Second, buying stuff in bulk (especially electronics) can save quite a bit of money. This is typically what incentivizes these contracts in the first place. Otherwise, Intel would just do "first come first serve". And lastly, there's an added cost to marketing, packaging, and stocking individually sold CPUs in retail stores. Although Intel sees a greater profit from these CPUs than they would when selling them in bulk, it does cost more to get an individual item sold.

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. 0LBaID

0LBaID Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080TI FE
    I have built multiple 8600K/2700X boxes in the past year for family/friends. No issues from any AMD boxes and many happy users that put that saved money into a GPU. I have been Intel for a long time but im ready for AMD next personal build too, i can sacrifice a few frames to let intel know their bullshit pricing doesnt sit well after so many years of being loyal.

7. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    You can google AMD compatibility problems by yourself, people which claiming that everything is working, are usually victims of their delusions, even 98% compatibility is nice result for whole machine and zillions PC HW combinations . From newest are finally PCI-E pass through problems fixed (Vendel had video about it), is there finally some Dosbox build where Ryzen performance not sucks in compaision with Intel What about Ryzen 2200G APU linux support, i took much long more than 6 months and its maybe finally working with 4.19.. and some not native Linux Mint kernel.. and what about MBs - is there finally some AMD chipset MB compatible with Akasa Euler S case? I could continue with older issues whole day, i had around ~2000 AMD CPUs too, but Intel was main player for 30 years and it has its consequences.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I managed to get XP working on Z370, but it took a while.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm not sure you understand what waltc3 was saying. There's a big difference between the CPU not working because it lacks the hardware instructions (which was very rarely a relevant issue for AMD, though it was a common issue for Cyrix and VIA) or it's because the OS lacks the drivers to utilize all of the features properly (which is what you are referring to). The only thing preventing a 2200G from having perfect functionality in Linux are the drivers.

All that being said, I have had my fair share of both Intel and AMD hardware not working with newer software due to lacking things such as SSE4.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yeah, you are right... I start my computer every morning. Black screen. I imagine what weather it will be today instead of clicking browser as display shown nothing but black.
    I imagine posts on forums I could have read if only this computer was x86_64 compatible. Then I start blind typing on keyboard, feeling like great keyboard warrior as nobody can oppose me on my black screen.

Have you ever play black pixel chase game on black background. It's awesome... "Only with AMD (tm)."

I would have used my Ryzen APU with linux, but unfortunately kernel 4.11 has never been released and therefore things do not work at all.

It is AMD's fault that their chipset is not compatible with custom cooling solution in each and every case. It have been tradition that Heatsink manufacturers create their own artistic mounting systems, randomly place holes for screws, and MB/GPU/... manufacturer goes and creates special edition just for them.

I remember good old times of SSE4, AMD stopped to support that in 2007, right?

J/K...

I think you need to tighten more than few screws. But it's too late, you lost them long time ago.