Intel Could Fight off AMD Ryzen 5000 just based on lower prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Glorious Sandy Bridge, mine is serving my mom very well!

I could go back to Intel if they have the superior price/performance after DDR5 comes out and I need a new build. Until then, I'll stay AMD. Bought 2600 for 135€ summer 2019 and loving it so far. I'll upgrade to 3600 (or 5600 if it comes out and Asus update their bios, hoping for a miracle I know) maybe and have better gaming performance.

Valken and Undying like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Seems a bit off from what I can find, peak draw appears to be 190w for the 10700k which is 8-core so then the 3800X which hits 160w.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-review,6226-3.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-10700k-cpu-review/2

(And that mixes in some extras like PBO overclocking though are OC results for the 10700k too.)

There's the CPU voltage of course which AMD utilizes quick peak bursts upwards of 1.4 - 1.5 although the regular is far lower,

Suppose it's whichever is the fastest that's the important thing though plus what they are priced at not everyone will choose the high-end premium models after all and the cost that these come at.
    Intel's upcoming CPU series against Zen3 from AMD now on a bit of a price increase over Zen2 even if the performance data provided so far seems promising.

3. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And don't forget new round of Intel mitigation patches on Windows 10 with the new version incoming. Linux Kernel 5.9 had them already when released this week and performance hit is pretty significant. And this affects series 10K all way to Ivy Bridge.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-59-9900k&num=1

All these are going to be hardware patched with 11 series next year.

At this point reviewers should start refresh all Intel benchmarks.

4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    alanm, moo100times and NightWind like this.

5. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    dd.JPG

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    it had been a while since i've looked up intel pricing and it looks like they're actually competing a bit in pricing with the 3000 series there only a $20cad difference in favour of the 10400 vs 3600 and $10cad difference in favor of the 3700x vs 10700k. All intel needs to do is not segment the chipsets so much and open up features on the lower end chipsets and they're actually worth buying again. prices and performance are now close enough that now it just comes down to extra features like pci-e 4 and unlocked bios as well as the motherboard costs which on intel is generally more expensive.
    AMD might be more expensive for a bit with the 5000 series but they always settle well below msrp once old stock is gone.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Thats not really smart way to think :)

8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    I think we are looking at this from different angles.

Im not focusing on people that are fighting to have a roof over their heads, those, as you say, are never the target for this kind of goods and, tbh, were not mine either when writting here.

People with a job, that untill now lived comfortably will have to make adjustments to, and will choose cheaper products. The budget may come down 20% to buy a new pc or upgrade and 50€ on the cpu and maybe another 30€ on a mb maybe enough to chose intel.

If intel starts bundling, caschbacks, etc. The difference may be huge on pricing.

Valken likes this.
  9. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Aaaaand its snowing in the hell ………...
    Haha almost .
    Good times folks good times , this is competition .

Valken likes this.
  10. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The only issue that complicates this is Intel being unable to keep sufficient stock even at their high price, because people seem to just buy based on brand. If they can sell all their stock consistently, they will have no reason to compete on it other than messing with AMD (and their own profit margins). It's kinda unbelievable how much Intel has let itself go.

anticupidon likes this.

11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    As always once the excitement wears off and the supply catches up with the demand the prices will go down , I would not be surprised if AMD gets them self's in the same situation as NVIDIA with shortages and scumbags reseling stock at inflated prices , its the lattest trend sadly ...

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    RocketLake will have hardware mitigations of gazillion exploits and bugs exist in current Intel CPU. So don't expect good perf over 10 seties.

Also 8000/9000/10000 series need to re-reviewed when next Windows 10 comes out, with latest bios also, as it has all mitigation patches Intel dropped over the summer.
    Linux Kernel 5.9 release this week has all these patches and the sight is grim.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-59-9900k&num=1

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Agree in £... for us it's around +25% on intel's price due to the trump's tax as nicknamed and more due to UE tax (recycle,import...)
    Exemple for me the 10700K is 529,95 Euro and the 5800X is anounced at 480 Euro.
    Anyway it would nice to see Intel at normal price...

14. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Until Intel can release three new generations of chips without a single security issue they are dead to me. No bios patches, no windows security patches, no microcode flim flam. Yes AMD was affected by some of the security issues but the fixes Tanta mounted to less than 3% speed degradation depending on the work load. Intel has had so many patches and fixes a tortoise is a speed demon in comparison. The i7-4790k I have in my legacy gaming machine looses 76% of its performance with the current bios and windows fixes with stock clocks (I managed to get a chip that does not overclock worth a damn due to shoddy TIM on the heat spreader; of course Intel could give a sh*t - it runs at stock clocks but one core runs 20 degrees higher than the other 3). I flashed the mobo back to the newest before the mayhem started and pulled it off the internet. In my opinion Intel has just stagnated and sat on their hands instead of innovating by sticking with the same lithographic topography and raising clock speeds to mimic advances. Intel missed AMD coming up in the rear view and overtook them like a Boss Mustang passing a Kia Soul. AMD will be my upgrade path for the long foreseeable future.

15. tomchee

tomchee New Member

GPU:
    RX-580 4GB
    The power consumption of the intel CPU's will make it still not worth it... :D

16. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    So for gaming, 3600 is still the best value CPU and if you need 8 cores, 5700X is still terrible value and it is better to give AMD another 100$ and get 50% more cores. Maybe I am missing something...

I thought price war is when you get more for the same money or get the same for less money. Or you meant it is time for intel to raise prices, because intel can't be cheaper then AMD. That is not acceptable.

17. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Just for fun...

c.JPG

ZXRaziel, Fediuld, Silva and 3 others like this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Soooo Ryzen 3 starts off at $100....And for gaming is pretty much okay with 8 threads still, and is unlocked. It's gonna be really hard for Intel to beat that pricing honestly.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. LuismiFC

LuismiFC New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1660s
    Not in Spain right now. I'm really interested in upgrading to a 12-thread CPU (mainly for gaming) and my first and preferred option is Ryzen 5 3600. BUUUUT... R5 3600 is around 200€ while i5 10400 is 155€ and it has IGP, which sometimes comes handy. I can see the arguments about 10400 only using DDR4 2666 (if not paired with z490) and Intel switching sockets almost every generation, but is it any different for AMD today with AM4?

I'm not in a hurry, I can wait, probably until end 2020 or Q1 2021, but if I had to buy a 12 thread CPU right now, numbers say the best option is i5 10400: same performance, same future, IGP and 45€ less.

20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Its only cool because its dead, it already melted!
    But seriously nobody with an eye to the future is going to buy this Intel CPU its a dead end, its old tech its lacking cache, it has security holes, it eats power and all to attain a few miserable seconds of 5+ghz to gain 5 or 10 FPS which frankly you cant notice anyway, in the opposite corner we have a 7nm CPU that beats the intel offering for IPC, uses less power has no security issues that we know of, runs cooler and has more cache, better boards and more lanes....really why would anyone even consider the Intel product at this point, unless its an upgrade on a existing platform it does not make any sense at all. Factor a cooler into the price as well

NightWind likes this.