Intel core i7 problems...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Kimmett, May 29, 2009.

1. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Okay, so i just bought this nice brand new rig. After building 300+ computers over a relatively lengthy period of time, i figured i had the knowledge to get this done in about a half an hour as well. Core i7 920, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    ddr5, 6GB 7-7-7-15 OCZ 1600, Gigabyte EX58-UD3, OCZ 600W PSU. So after putting all the connections properly together this is what happened.

Pressed the start button. CPU fan turns on, Case fan(s) turn on, LEDs on motherboard show CPU at full tilt. All green leds and red leds on graphics card lighting up. Noticed the GPU fan wasnt initiating, so i powered down. Waited for like 10 seconds, started again, this time ALL the fans, including the GPU turn on, along with everything else seemingly fine. No monitors will turn on ( I have 2 - 22" widescreens ). All saying no signal. Seemingly everything works, but no display, can anyone help me out plz?

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Are you using the 1st/3rd/5th dimms or the 2nd/4th/6th dimm slots? If you don't use the 2nd/4th/6th dimms your pc wont post.

EDIT: Err.. nvm your mobo only has 4 DIMM slots.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Dimms

Okay so, I have 4 DIMM slots. DIMM1 DIMM3 DIMM2 DIMM4, oddly enough in that order. For tripple core, it says i need to have in DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM4 which yes, I have installed in those specific slots as PER motherboard manual. Any other ideas?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ummm...did you consider the possibility of a faulty video card?

5. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    I'm not trying to blindly rule out options here, honestly. However if the video card is the problem, than i'm just asumming here, that the LEDs wouldnt light up, and the fan wouldnt turn on the way it does... or both at the same time, however all seems to check out okay. Next possibility i tried was the ram, instead thinking maybe 1 stick in the batch might be faulty, i tried just one stick in the DIMM1 slot, each stick tried, still no hope. Any other ideas?

6. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Have a spare GPU to test with?

7. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    GPUs

Yes I have an older PCI Express that uses up MUCH less power, and i know it works just pulled it off another mobo. Still nothing. Pretty much out of ideas, figuring ram conflicts with motherboard?

8. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    things to try.

1.use just 1 stick of ram (swap between all 3 until it posts)

2.remove and reseat cpu

3.take mother board out of case and try and post (electronic interfirance)

4. check jumper seting if it has any jumpers

5.try psu in another pc of simular power draw

6.push down on the bios chip to make sure its seated

if not then start with replacing stuf in this order(just find its the best way) ram,motherboard,psu,cpu and you sead it hapens with another gpu so ill leav that out

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Also check in the CPU socket for bent pins.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If another video card wouldn't show POST screen....I'd look at the motherboard for next item to be replaced...especially if he finds bent pins in the CPU socket.

11. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Okay so i tried pretty much everything. So i think i'm going to start replacing stuff, Start with the ram, etc. BTW: With core i7s, the cpus dont really... "have pins" they have pins, but they sit on the terminals, with a diagonal bend in the pins, so it sits flush, instead of actually seating, weird. Thanks for the help guys.

12. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    The pins on the motherboard where cpu fits on.
    if they are bend then thats the problem.

the cpu has contact points might check those asswell if damaged.

13. Kimmett

Kimmett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    The motherboard actually is the one with the contact points, on the new socket 1366. Cant bend'em, foolproof design. The CPU has crazy angled pins that bend sideways to force more contact area, neat idea. :)

14. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Hmm...monitor not powering up eh yet you have all signs of everything else powering up. I think it might be related to your PSU. Because 600W for your current setup is just barely cutting it. First off I would reconnect all your peripherals and devices in stages to see what's the problem. And if all else fails replace the PSU and see if it powers up with the monitor.

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Those are what I meant, definitely not foolproof though as I had a mobo arrive with 3 of them bent :)

16. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    I had same problem with my new system.. I re-installed the whole system 3 times and it works.

17. Luvabud

Luvabud Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Does your mobo restart it self, or just sit with the phase leds on?

On first start the bios settings are fail safe and should start first time, looks like your mobo isn't going through the self check for some reason, I would RMA what you bought and try again when you get your new parts.

I'm running fine on my psu, 450 watts max while in game, 210 watts on boot, so if you're sure your psu is fine, I wouldn't worry about that right now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009