Intel Core i7 920 and Core i7 965 review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 3, 2008.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    The multiplier solution isnt a good one for tweakers.

2. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    And 2 years after that we will be a 22nm. You have to buy at some point.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Jus popped over to Overclockers to try find out how much it need to spend on a high end gaming rig, and this price didnt even include the Core I7 as its not stated how much there going for yet. Oh and only 1 GTX280

£1032.72

And like i say, thats not even with the CPU. Not too mention as hilberts review shows you need to go like Sli or even Tri Sli to get the best outta it, so add like another £750 plus like perhaps £600-800 for the I7 965. Your looking at £2300!!

by the time i've saved that there 32nm sandy bridge will b here lol

4. unrealtincan

unrealtincan Member

GPU:
    XFX Core 216 Blck Edition
    pave the way!

Sweet review. Looks like a good time to get an E8600 rig after the i7 is released. Having no intentions to ever go SLI, the inevitable price drops that ensue are upgrading music to my ears! Bring it!! :grin2:

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Dang, that 920 is a sweet lil' thang! Hilbert, congrats on the review. Very thorough and informative, as usual. As for upgrading, I think that if the wife knew what I was thinking about, she'd murder me in my sleep ;)

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Guess what people...Australia Get SHAFTED ONCE AGAIN for PC PRICES!!!

CPU INTEL CORE i7 EXTREME 965 3.2GHz 8MB# $2639.00
    CPU INTEL CORE i7 940 2.93GHz 8MB#$1099.00
    CPU INTEL CORE i7 920 2.66GHz 8MB#$659.00

Yeh Thats FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    ^GOD DAMN OUCH!^

I thought the UK had it bad. :(

Either way i'll be skipping this tick (My E8600 is more than adequate for the next year or 2), once Westmere is out and more programs/games are multithreaded i'll build a new rig.

8. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    -Deep breath-

-Claps- Well done Mr. H! And another round of well done to the SLI \ Crossfire article....sooooo much reading and GOOD reading at that!

I have an 8400 as well. My eyes almost popped outta my head when I saw the diff... now if we can just get multithreading into the mainstream along with x64....SOLD. I wonder if such a thing has been thought of or can even be accomplished, an emulator or "wrapper" that could allow the use of the other cores in a non multithreaded app or Bi Threaded App? Somethin reminicent -but obviously WAY diff- of the GlideWrapper that was released shortly after the fall of 3DFx.

THAT is an aging rig!? LOL wowzers.... The upgrade clock starts tickin the moment ya open said parts box? Thats when I set mine anyway lolz!

I ALWAYS go beta or as new as possible....but I have paid for it a few times, mostly in software land -stupid MS and Betas OS' I cant resist- In hardware land I have a lot of success, but this is a COUNTERPOINT lol.... here are my failures:

Got the 3DFx banshee just as it came out....great card....patches not included :3eyes: lol

Bought a CYRIX 6x86 233+ shiny off the shelves....never have i felt so stupid in my life lol

Got the AMD K6-3 350 hot off the presses.... Began 10+ years of AMD hating only slightly subsiding now lol

Bought the NVidia Fx5200 out of the gate....what a $hitty card...even after I flashed it to a 5500 and then to a 5700LE....the whole FX series was one of NVidias weaker efforts....boy was i mad when my GF4 Ti outran it

Got an NVidia 8600GT BEFORE it came out -i got lucky- only to find out it was basically a 7600GTS -i already owned one- with a few more extensions, they were identical to the letter other than that, clockspeed, memspeed, bus width etc...add to that 2-3 days later the GTS was in my neck of the woods... DAMMIT

There may be a couple others but thats the highlights...or i guess lowlights....I need a hug after remembering all that PHAIL

Holy $#%%*&*^ thats retarded! I'm sure Australias economy is doin better than the states right now so how does that justify a x2 price hit? Well ya know shipping and handling and.... BULL! lol

Zyro

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  9. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally ill ditch that P4 for something worthy :p
    Xmas time is gonna be great!

10. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    finally a platform to replace my AGING P4 with :D
    that i7 920 is the sweet spot for me

11. midweskid

midweskid Guest

cant wait for Westmere

12. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    would be interesting to see if you might check it... Damage labs's review shows that for gaming you'd want to turn it off to get a tangible benefit...

any chance on indepth part about this Hilbert?

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15818/6

goede review voor de rest, je mag me je extra hardware onderdelen sturen :p