Intel Core i7-6950X Broadwell-E has 10 Cores and 20 Threads

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I'd really like to see how that pans out.

2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I really don't buy into the whole DX12 will solve every known gaming problem thinking. DX12, like Mantle, will open up a whole new can of problems. When you give developers that much flexibility and power, you are entirely dependent on said developers to do a good job of optimization. Going by the past AAA releases, everyone knows that PC releases are almost never optimized or given too much thought. Thinking that a more labor intensive API will solve this is wishful thinking. Yes, under ideal conditions, low level APIs will help reduce overhead. Low level APIs are also notoriously harder to code well and optimize, especially if you are pressed for time.

3. Kloet075

Kloet075 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming G1 970
    Running my Intel Xeon E5-2670 V2 since last year. Bought it for $330, best choice ever. It was either that and overclock it IF needed or buy the 3rd generation.
    Welp, still top-notch system :3

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Who's to say a lazily optimised (true) dx12 title couldn't still be better than a dx11 title? If CPUs and GPUs have enough power under dx12, then even poorer optimisation would still make a playable game. Of course not as good a game as careful planning and adjusting of a game would produce, but time after time Bethesda has shown us that millions upon millions of people are able love even cans of worms (myself included).

I don't really care if dx12 didn't end up enabling lousier PCs to run games. It would be fine with me if you still needed a decent PC, but the games simply would be better. I say this despite, nah, especially because of my current ancient video card.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Thats a great cpu and an amazing deal! :thumbup:

And about the DX12 talk, I'm sure it will bring notable improvements but people are over-hyping and over-estimating it imo.

Time will tell.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    I hope that 8-core 6900K version won't cost arm and leg.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Ooh. Nice. :D

I miss having some threads when I upgraded...

8. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    While that may hopefully be the case, most likely than not it won't happen. DX12 isn't the magic bullet for PC gaming, it is simply another tool for developers to use. How they use it will define the final product. DX has very little say (in fact, a reduction vs <12), on it. I think it is akin to something like C++ vs Java. Both are programming languages, and both can be used to create great stuff. However, due to the "higher-level" nature of Java, its overhead tends to be seen as higher (ignore cross platform stuff). You can obviously still have a crap performing C++ application, just as you can have a super efficient Java application, but it depends purely on the developer. Might be a crap analogy.

I guess just take a long hard look at Mantle games. The real benefits only materialized for mid-low end CPUs, even then the gains were good, but reasonably mild.

9. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Dude does Intel come-out with a new Cpu everyday?! Thats what its starting to feel like wow! I am still debating on replacing my Fx 6300 for a Core i7 4790k and these guys have since released Skylake and now this ( Jesus christ ) Amd please take note here guys lol./

10. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    I need this Baby in my life yessssss.....

I'm a Adobe CC subscriber and I have Zbrush, Autodesk, Modo and Houdini 3D apps.

I could certainly put that power to work, work, work, work.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Yeah. While 6950X is beyond my range, 6900K might come in handy for hybrid gaming/rendering rig, if pushed to around 4.5GHz. V-Ray can't use GPU for final render.

Also, I'd like to see some benchmarks to see how much faster they're going to be compared to Haswell-E series.

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    A broadwell... And Haswell-E... And... And.... :D

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    probobaly get 6700k still and wont bother with another upgrade for another 4 years, by this time intel should have 6-8 core cpu that arnt enthusiasts platforms. and hope full drop TDP below 100 too

14. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Doesn't DX12 make porting console games to PC easier?

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Mind-blowing stuff. 3yrs down the line this will be standard issue gear for us gamers.

16. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not really interested unless min/average/max frame rates are very similar to Skylake. Currently min frame rates esp. at high res with Skylake is like double other models.

Six or eight core Skylake is where its at for me, got a few probs with usb ports etc with my current rig, so I will be jumping on 6/8 Skylake when available. M.2 ssd, usb 3.1 and pcie 3.0 16x all something i'm looking forward to also. ;)

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe it might also make the people that port it that much more lazy.

18. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    yeahh next build with Rampage V Black Edition..:banana::banana::banana:

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Considering the current consoles' CPU's only saving grace is the number of cores, it's unfair to blame everything on the laziness of the people needing to make the ports. If the game has been designed from the ground up to rely on a high number of (weak) cores, that is, extensive parallel processing, then it must be one bitch of a job to adapt such a game to run fluently on just a couple of cores, even if those cores are much faster than the original ones. If dx12 can alleviate this problem, even non-lazy people will find things a lot easier.

20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Could you post some benchmarks that support the mentioned min frames difference? I'm considering replacing CPU and I'd love to see them before I decide for a specific model.