Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Looking at my current setup, should I upgrade to Haswell with 16 gig of ram or wait?(For what?).
    My 930 is Oc'd to 4ghz but I really feel it is throttling my GTX690.

If I buy Haswell, I will only really plan on upgrading again in 2015.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well i was set for 4770K and Asus z87 deluxe, now Im a bit worried about those temps and OC potential.. Hopefully its just a ES thing, since all the sites that i looked got ES.

Im still not 100% sure, but think i'll bite the bullet xD

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah well I wish I was as calm about it as you, it looks like it OCs less than Ivy Bridge. Maxwell didn't arrive, the 780 is robbery, AMD are sitting around doing nothing and Haswell is a flop. Great. So much for my 2013 upgrade plans.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    This isn't really disappointing, but completely expected. It's why I didn't bother waiting around for this.

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Doesnt look great... shame, my main upgrade this year was due to be CPU/mobo, but think I will wait. IB-E/Haswell-E if they come later in the year could be a better idea for me, as I would make use of the two additional cores as well.

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So Haswel getting as hot as Ivy on overclock.
    I guess good old Sandy still be OC champ for a while.

7. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    absolutely disappointing. After all the hype (or should i say "expectations") in the last year, this is nothing special and i can even say it's a FAIL by intel (especially by using the same thermal solution as in IB chips..... have they learnt nothing from their mistakes?).....

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    On the USB 3.0 bug,

http://us.hardware.info/news/35295/haswell-has-usb-30-issues-with-14-out-of-22-tested-usb-drives

Didn't they tell Anandtech that they had fixed the heat problem? "Quick fixes" like delidding is unacceptable on such expensive components. If only PC gaming wasn't hostage to Wintel!!

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Solid review of a questionable product.

Anyone else think there are now more sets of eyes on AMD?

10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    For server yeah, for daily usage Intel still has more benefits.

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    All this just make me love my 2700k more, no heat issues, excellent oc, only need change mobo for better oc, i waited for haswell to see if should do it, well i guess i should.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Looks like Intel is going to give AMD a nice little opportunity to catch up, I'm sure Steamroller is more about IPC improvement and should really narrow the gap between themselves and Intel.

Next year should be even more interesting as from the looks of it Broadwell probably isn't going to do much more than Haswell and with any luck Excavator will see the two level pegging again :)

I know a lot of people are disappointed with Haswell but Intel have decided that power consumption and onboard GPU is more important, and for obvious reasons, small computers such as laptops, ultra books/portables and tablets. Millions and millions of those get shifted each year, and its probably going to increase and the market shifts away from the big boxes people have in the corner of their rooms, or even a much smaller footprint for offices, so I guess Haswell is more a step in that direction for Intel. Possibly server technology also, no doubt there bucket loads of cash in it.

As much as we all like nice big performance leaps I'm now pretty sure those days are well and truly numbered for Highend desktop. Looks like I'll keep my IB until Skylake at the earliest, maybe even Skymont and some 10nm goodness ;)

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I was thinking on building a new PC with an 4770K/3570K cpu bu now i don´t know if i should...

I feel disappointed by Intel, it´s like they aren´t even trying...

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Why should they try? They have absolutely zero competition in the desktop market. And before any AMD fanboys ignite their flamethrowers, I'm not trolling. Just speaking the facts. :thumbup:

15. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Are you going to pack 4770 into tablets or note PCs?

That what i3 or atom is for. 4770 is top class CPU which designed for high end PCs, not for highend tablets.

edit: I was not hoping for Haswel to be top performer, but to have Sandy's OCbility. So we could have Ivy with more potentials.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    there aint much competition going on in the gpu market either, you either gotta pay $650 for a 780 $1000 for a titan or you get a 700 series refresh with faster vram in the 770. most likely the 760ti too

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    No just older batch and probably less OC'able, it was the same with early i7 3770K/i7 2600K ES chips.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    From what I have heard and read about Haswell is that when overclocked to around 4.5GHz it runs insanely hot. Looks like more people will be "deliding" their chips then...

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Good. My rig is still good for a while then. :)

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    sh!t is getting craZy man. I can't complain though because I am part of the problem. Nvidia knows people will pay a premium for their products.