Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OC has always been way to VIod your warranty in the states. K- Series was made for the people that OC as way to make more money out of them... doesn't mean OC wont Void your warranty if you burned out the product by doing so Most EULA say OC void warranty last i checked too and for good reason your running said product out of it safety net.

Direct from Intels own website

EXTENT OF LIMITED WARRANTY
    Intel does not warrant that the Product will be free from design defects or errors known as “errata.” Current characterized errata are avail
    -
    able upon request. Further, this Limited Warranty does NOT cover:

any costs associated with the repair or replacement of the Product including labor, installation or other costs incurred by you, and in
    particular, any costs relating to the removal or replacement of any Product that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any
    printed circuit board;
    OR

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or
    environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation,
    or improper testing;
    OR

any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications or where the original identifica
    -
    tion markings (trademark or serial number) has been removed, altered or obliterated from the Product

Last part is about OC with out actual saying it

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Except when it isnt.
    In order to get the same overclock, you need better cooling and higher voltage.

So you dont think that the cost/performance matters?
    How can you not be arguing about buying a new CPU or motherboard when you then say the discussion is about new buyers?
    You make no sense, the 3770K is still for sale, and it still matters for those who have IB/SB as well, who want to upgrade.
    If it surely was 20% faster I might be tempted, I can find a buyer for my kit.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It doesnt mean that overclocking will void your warranty, not the same thing.
    If they can see you are at fault through negligence then they will deny a warranty claim for sure.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @Mufflore - Intel's warranty policy varies by country. In the US, overclocking immediately voids your warranty. Period. It's very clearly stated in the warranty paperwork that's included with retail processors. It may be different in the UK and other countries under the EU, but that doesn't make it a global policy. Unless you have lived in every country, you can't speak as to the warranty policy for every country. However, Intel's warranty policy is effective anywhere that doesn't have laws prohibiting such policy.

My processor performs most tasks reasonably well. However, I don't consider battery life when buying a desktop processor. These days, benchmark results don't really impress me. What would impress me, is features implemented at chip level to improve security and reduce the overall impact of security software on system performance.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you dont mention overclocking they have to prove it.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What's with this myth about Intel giving a crap about the OC scene and using good TIM, and not being able to use solder for 22nm or below, that part doesn't even make any sense. Regardless of what the TIM is like when fresh it ages horribly, every Haswell I've seen delided had this horribly scattered crust that was completely dry and not making proper contact for squat. It may as well have been mud or tooth paste it was so dry, it was literally rubbed off because it was so dry, no alcohol or solvent was needed.

Don't believe me? Look up any Haswell deliding video, it's completely dry uneven crust.

A delid Ivy which was considered a poor overclocker could hit 5GHz on high end air, and we're supposed to pretend that Haswell saving a bit of power in low end chips and hitting 4.4-4.6GHz in the same situation is some godsend we should praise Intel for? Let's not forget that whopping -5 to +5% performance difference, oh so gewwwd. Intel are nothing more than greedy pigs seeking absolutely nothing but maximum profit at minimum effort. I haven't encountered such crazed fanboyism in a long time, the Intel equivalent of Tainted.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Delliding has nothing do to with thermal paste (default intel is very good), but rather poor contact IHS to chip contact because of that glue gap.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4614559&postcount=91

Also its very fast in cpu bound games, have a quick look here

SeriousSam3 (Ultra present, no AA)
    http://ht4u.net/reviews/2013/intel_core_i7_4770_4670_haswell_cpus_test/index37.php
    [​IMG]

btw SS3 is very "bad" multicore port.

Same thing by Assassins Creed3
    [​IMG]

There is even a bigger gap at lower reso/lower details.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've done enough reading to know it has to do with the distance more than anything, but I'm saying the TIM is also trash despite popular belief.

I've seen plenty of benchmarks at low resolution to compare them when they're CPU bound, they were pretty much the same most of the time with Haswell up a smidge. That doesn't help if it OCs 600MHz less.

Btw when your chip arrives post your OC/temps. I'm hoping it was just a bad early batch that is having such severe OC problems.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

And about the solder:

http://iweb.tms.org/PbF/JOM-0606-67.pdf

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I will keep that in mind if I ever run 1680x1050 again.with games with no aa

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Great, a link to what I've already read and not their own video which shows the TIM is useless crust anyway. It totally can't have anything to do with the fact that the their useless crust was making semi contact compared to the replacement TIM practically making no contact at the same distance.

And a random PDF, that's also great proof right there. Buy one if it's so great. What's that? You won't because it can't OC as much as the chip you already have is clock for clock not enough of an improvement offset that? Oh well. Go back to your Intel lab.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And I see you can't grasp the concept of higher gpu utilization without being gpu bound.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Well hunter please splain it to me

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    What's there to explain, use your own brain and figure it out.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Maybe stv0r can explain it know where he is?

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    People here are to obsessed with OC. And seem to forget there are alot more poeple that dont OC then people that OC, But this being a Enthusiasts site like so many other places they will disagree .

Performance should be compared from Stock to Stock from Generation to Generation. As for tim I have never delid a CPU nor will I ever. Much like I will never OC So I take the word of people that have they say it bad.

Just like Most people are running 1080p people generally running higher are most likely in the nitch enthusiasts demographic. Neither Enthusiast nor OCing are consider the majority They are only consider the Majority on the Enthusiasts sites.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Really?

Because I, a university student saddled with debt, don't have the money to run out and upgrade at a whim (my previous upgrade was from a Prescott ffs); that makes my entire argument invalid?

Unbelievable.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Furthermore, even among the "gaming" community, you want to know how many people with Intel CPU's even overclock? Less than 0.39% based on Steam's hardware survey.

Want to know the single most popular graphics processor that people use for gaming? Intel HD 3000, second place is the HD 4000. Four of the six top slots are occupied by Intel HD graphics. Intel has nearly 14% of the entire Steam GPU market share and is growing.

People here talk about gaming at 1440p, yet only 0.5% even have such a resolution; almost all everyone uses either 1080p or 720p; with the scattering of resolutions in between.

Welcome to reality, I'm sorry it doesn't live up to your "enthusiast" expectations.