Intel Core i7-3960X and 3930K to get C2 stepping in January

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Intel's hexa-core Core i7-3960X 3.3 GHz and Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz will be getting a C2 revision in January to fix Intel VT-d support.As reported earlier Intel's first wave of Sandy Bridge-E processors...

More...

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    This sort of stuff is why I'm not an early adopter of new tech!

3. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    Will it be possible to get a replacement for my current 3930K? I mean it says on their homepage VT-d Yes meaning it should be working and if it's not working they should replace it?

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm happy to wait for the new 22 nm Intel 'Ivy Bridge' CPUs as the extra cores and smaller production size should overcome the issue that the current Core i7-39x0 series have, in that they run hot and are power hungry. For games this processor would be a waste of money anyway and very few make full use of it.

My current Core i7-920 @ 3.6 GHz handles everything I throw at it with aplomb anyway so I'm in no rush to upgrade if it means I can get something better at a later date. By then maybe games will be making better using of multi-core processors with more than 4 cores. The Core i7-920 has been the best processor I've ever owned and even three years on it is still a beast IMO.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    It was about time, current stepping does not overclock very well , i hope it brings better overclocking margin.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Ivy Bridge will be 4 cores only. IB-E will extend to 6 & 8 cores though.

7. Rjudgey

Rjudgey Member

GPU:
    MSI HAWK GTX460 1GB SLI
    reviews of 980X O/C

Any plans on comparing new Intel CPU O/C'd to old I7980X O/C'd only comparison on here so far is with old at stock speed and new at 5ghz be nice to see the difference then as 980X is a good overclocker.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Great minds think a like ;)

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Second.

10. itisme

itisme New Member

GPU:
    HD 6970s
    They have to by law otherwise it is a case of false advertising and arguably deception (in applicable countries).

Anyway, I too also saw their website showing VT-d as a supported feature (a 'Yes' was marked next to it) at the time I made a purchase.

Regardless of the above, I am hopeful Intel are a responsible corporation and will prompty replace affected CPUs for free.

I am currently seeking comment from Intel (they weren't able to assist when I contacted them earlier today). Hope to have news in the next few days/weeks.

If anyone has news on this matter, please update the thread. Thanks.