Intel Core i5-4690K vs AMD Ryzen 5 2400G?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by testcy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I need to assemble a second PC and I am thinking to use either a spare Intel Core i5-4690K (and buy a H81 motherboard and some DD3 RAM) or buy an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (together with a B450 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM). I checked some benchmarks and I didn't notice much difference in performance between the two CPUs, so I am wondering if it is worth purchasing the Ryzen. Or should I consider something different?

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    2400G will have much better GPU performance (iGPU). I'd consider it for gaming, unless you plan to use dGPU.

Reusing 4690K should be cheaper with 2nd hand H81 mobo.

3. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    The PC will not be used for games so GPU performance does not matter much. What about CPU performance? How do they two compare?

4. SteveJ12

SteveJ12 Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia 1080ti
    If you want to use your PC for causal tasks like browsing internet, watching videos etc then I will suggest you to go with your spare CPU as the performance of both CPU is similar for new generation but don't know how the 4th gen I5 will perform against ryzen 5 2200G

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Exactly what tasks do you intend to use the PC for? That will determine what the best route is.

6. SteveJ12

SteveJ12 Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia 1080ti
    First of all its really depends for what purpose you need a PC. If its for only gaming then definitely I5 is better option as you have it in spare but if you are planing to do some multicore tasks like streaming and video editing then ryzen 5 will be the better option. But if you are in tight budget the going with I5 is not a bad decision

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Go for the Ryzen system, will open up options for upgrading in the future.

Also, Zen architecture has IPC equivalent to Haswell anyway so performance will be very similar between those two systems but the 2400g will have the edge in multi-threaded applications given it can handle 8 threads. As for the IGP, there is no competition, the 2400G has an amazing IGP compared to the 4690k.

cucaulay malkin and Undying like this.
  8. eman

eman Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX
    I will go with Intel Core i5 4690k. Because this is a 4th Gen desktop processor with 4 cores.
    It is part of the Core i5 lineup, using the Haswell architecture with Socket 1150. Core i5-4690K has 6MB of L3 cache and operates at 3.5 GHz by default, but can boost up to 3.9 GHz, depending on the workload.

9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there is no comparison here.b450 is a lot better platform.2400G is a better cpu if it's got SMT.And it has a Vega 8 igpu.

but for a secondary pc there is no need to upgrade a 4690k that you already have to a 2400G,unless you have a specific problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Get whatever you can get for the better price.

I think the hardest problem is the MB for the 4690K.

My 4790K runs RPS3 emulator pretty damn good... I was suprised so Haswell still has GOOD to very GOOD IPC.

I have an extra 16GB of DDR3-1600 MHZ if you need it.