Intel Core i5-11600K processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review, we drop from eight to six CPU cores and twelve threads. Yes, the tide turns towards the Core i5-11600K. The 11th generation Intel Core desktop processors, previously known as RKL, aka ...

Intel Core i5-11600K processor review

chispy likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Really nice for a six core imo. Beats or matches 5600x for a lower price. I'm mildly surprised with reviews,leaks weren't very optimistic,but it's not leaks that count.Performance increase against 10600k is noticeable.I'm sticking with previous gen 8/16 though,and I'd advise ppl to do the same.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  3. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    This is an easy buy right now. Picked one up myself for another machine. And since there is no GPUs, the new onboard GPU is great.

5600x here is either not available or more expensive. And no onboard GPU is a big downside for this price bracket currently.

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    11600k now chip to get for gaming over 5600x with the price difference, might cause AMD to reduce the price on 5600x as it provides stiff competition.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Hmm unless you need some intel specific futures - like better compatibility or better performance in old games or HAXM acceleration as i do, its worse than AMD for normal user.. so only thing which could save it is good price..
    Power consumation in load sucks a lot and official TDP vlue is still bigger and bigger joke..

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    meh, still no need to upgrade my cpu for high resolution gaming.

Valken and jbscotchman like this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Especially with Intel's next generation of CPUs coming very soon. This is a delayed product, after all.

Also, just like with AMD, still too expensive for a 6-core.

vestibule, Valken and cucaulay malkin like this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    still it's a fair bit cheaper
    75 eur here in PL,65 eur in Germany.

9. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Compared to 5600X this one is a decent deal, it looks like I can buy the 11600K right now for 270 while the 5600X is 360 EUR - 360 is way too much for what it offers.

10. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290X
    I was fortunate, the place I buy my parts locally still sells the 5600X for the standard 299 USD. I got one about a month ago, and it's fantastic. Even running a full load on all cores it's easy to cool. If I were choosing today, the power & heat numbers would still make the 5600X my choice, unless the prices were just ridiculous.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Gonna have to wait for 11600F or 11700F benchmarks, but performance is probably the same, perhaps 5-10 FPS when it's already 200+.

From the research i done, those F models are the perfect gaming CPUs, at half the wattage.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    €330 vs €260 here in the Netherlands, 5600X vs 11600K that is.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'll wait for CPUs that will run alongside DDR5 and then go for an upgrade. No chance I'm upgrading before that.

chispy likes this.
  14. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    Just think if AMD played Intels tricks to boost test results.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Very decent performance +
    Comes with Xe graphics +
    Low Cost +
    Power consumption - -

OVERAL: +

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    if it was an octa I'd buy instantly.
    for a sixcore it's nice,it's a little bit faster than 10700k in a lot of single thread heavy games.sadly,in some strategy/open world titles it's evident six cores is what hampers performance.it's a tough choice but still,at 260 euros you can choose previous gen 8/16 or this 6/12.I'm disappointed 11700f is 320 eur.Not gonna spend this much on a cpu that I only need for gaming.

@Noisiv
    power consumption - it's fine,let's not exaggerate.but I think limiting ram speed to 3600 in gear 1 mode absolutely sucks.it's what I would name as the main disadvantage.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's more than fine if you remember this is done on 14nm. Near perf. parity with AMD's advanced 7nm parts. But its far from fine in absolute numbers.
    I would power limit this anyway: I don't allow my parts to use stupid amount of power - For too many reasons.

18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    either get something that you would not power limit or prepare this six core is gonna require some decent cooling
    this thing is atrocious when it comes to power consumption

Airbud, chispy and tunejunky like this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    any six core proc that (damn near) requires a 360 lcs is ridiculous.

the long time lag between mobile and desktop has left Intel at an advantage for years, basically since Ryzen. but now with the large number of AMD mobile options, AMD will slay Intel in the performance mobile section. the battery life improvement alone makes a compelling case for AMD, but in the mobile sector Intel is seen as the luxury brand. we know that it's really the opposite, but that makes it a killer value to tell your friends about. especially as the mobile RX 6xxx comes on market with 8(16) or 12(24) mobile 5600x equivalent.
    it's sad that the entire laptop will go for about the same as the AIB gpu given gouging, but that probably will be the way most people will get next gen gpus.

20. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    The power consumption is so ridiculous for a six core CPU, as stated by @tunejunky, that I just can't see much if any appeal in this product. For 200 € with iGPU included you could buy this CPU just for funzies and have great value performance wise, but I think there is more value in having way lower power consumption other than just lesser power bill and the usual arguments. Going green is important, in this climate you just don't release new CPUs that suck even more power than the already hungry previous parts.
    I understand gaming doesn't consume that much since the CPU is not utilized heavily, but once you play a game in the future that near maxes the CPU you will consume a lot of power. Also, I'm willing to actually bet that R5 5600X matures better with it's huge cache and will even get minor performance bumps via AGESA updates, so maybe already next year R5 5600X is faster in latest games.

Bad release, but for a seriously low price you could put this into a budget build with strong cooling without much worry. Still, I recommend choosing the greener option to save power on a larger scale and give industry a sign that lower consumption is the ultimate goal.

tunejunky likes this.