Intel Confirms - Coffee lake Will not work on current motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The socket itself was 942 pins, yes, and AM3 had 941, so you'd assume, correctly, that a CPU with 942 pins (am3+ CPU) would not work (fit) inside an AM3 socket. Except, you're forgetting that the amount of pins a socket has, does not denote how many the CPU have

AM3 socket = 941
    AM3 CPU = 938
    AM3+ socket = 942
    AM3+ CPU = 940

And i quote:

"Some manufacturers have brought AM3+ support to some of their AM3 motherboards via a simple BIOS upgrade. Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it is possible for AM3+ CPUs to fit in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current. Another issue is the use of the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU. Therefore, some CPU PWM fan headers may only run at full speed. Also, certain power-saving features may not work, due to lack of support for rapid VCore switching."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Evildead666 and claydough like this.
  2. claydough

claydough Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    Funny the last time I adopted a an upgradeable chipset mindset...
    ( after my old dual socketed intel BX boards that could take anything )
    I actually bet on AMD with socket 939 and got but hurt pretty quickly! ;)

But I have been praying that they force some innovation via a new chipset design with coffee lake!
    And after the 7740x lane nerf...
    I am hoping that flak from as much is enough of a mandate for a respectful Intel to cater the coffee lake core count increase with a lane count increase to compliment the excitement/energy of such additions! ( enthusiasm for enthusiasts )

I am not holding my breath but a 6 core 12 thread coffee lake with around 30 lanes empowered/"forced" by a new chipset is all I need to salvage my sadly scar'd Intel love and adopt such a core/lane increase combination as my own "personal hedt" solution!
    ( finally replacing my aging 6 core i7-980x socket 1366/X58 solution that I have been refusing to upgrade during 7 years of "OBVIOUS" increment. )

It could happen? :(
    ( let me have my illusions dammit! )
    Where if forcing a new chipset for coffee lakes equates to real value and technical advantage/advancement...
    Who am I to then "nay say" till the actual writing on the wall is revealed?

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    uhhhhhhhhhh yes thats true. why are you saying that as if it conflicts with my previous statement?

4. bipman

bipman New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 / 4GB
    My question is also about backward compatibility, but from the other point of view: will the new Z370 & Z390 motherboards support the current Skylake and Kaby Lake series?

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I find your understanding lacking. My last three PCs have been Intel based (I wonder what kind of an AMD fanboy that makes me). I was happy with the first two, but I'm disgusted with this current one, which is basically the same as the previous despite two whole CPU generations between them. Amazing 10% more power with exactly the same amount of cores. Not even the fricking HT was added.

Here's a fact just for you: You can dislike Intel's decisions during the last half a dozen years without being a blind AMD fanboy.

I'm sure that marvelous piece of information is of super hyper uber ultra huge consolation to those of us who bought new mobos last year or this very same year (Kaby Lake).

Evildead666 and Aura89 like this.
  6. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    Is there any word yet of actual date of availability....?
    Announcing the new toys is alright but when will it be available to actually buy...?

7. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    And there I was hoping i5 8400 will be my new upgrade, but base clock too low. Probably I'll go for the i5 8600K with turbo enabled only when needed. Admittedly I like the 65 watt TDP of the 8400 but oh well...

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Early October for desktop.

9. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    Sorry to break you brother but YOU CAN use and AM3 on AM2+ Socket, Search for MSI G45-790XT. I used to have one of these running initially a Phenom x4 9950 then later a Phenom II 1090T. With all do respect. Phenom II supports both DDR2 and DDR3, and in past I remember that the support on that board was added via BIOS update.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Some PII support both. Not all had DDR3 support my old 940BE was only DDR2.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The 940BE though was I believe the only Deneb AM2+ cpu? AM3 Phenom II's had DDR2 and DDR3 controllers, but one issue you may had to look at is the power design on the board in question.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    All of the 9xx PII were Deneb IIRC. 10xx were Thuban.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You say this as though anybody was ever ok with this, which most people aren't. Every once in a while Intel had a good reason to change sockets, but most of the time it was due to poor future planning. If it wasn't that, ironically, it was because all of their planning went toward obsolescence.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Right, Thuban was basically Deneb in a 6 core format. K10 with DDR2 and DDR3 controllers.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yep. Basically there were two PII's that were AM2+ socket and my dumbass bought one of them and screwed up my upgrade path.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only Deneb base I had was I believe the Athlon II X3 445? I had it on a DFI Lanparty AM2+ board, but man did it clock pretty well for a locked cpu! Had it running 3.8-4.0ghz no problem.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My 940 hit a wall at ~3.6Ghz.

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The moral of the story is if you buy Intel you have to buy when a new socket comes out, or wait until the next socket. If they bring out a 'new CPU' (cough) once a year, with a new chipset, why would you want to buy the old 'crappy' one 4 months before the release? ;)

19. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Does anyone remember 440bx slot1 how long did that lasted ? Some motherboards could still acept new cpus after 5+ years!

20. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070Ti
    why not intel atleast promote DDR5 with new chipset. all that on new platform with