Intel Confirms - Coffee lake Will not work on current motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080Ti
    Just how AMD did with the Bulldozer.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  2. Lordhawkwind

Lordhawkwind New Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX970
    AMD are supporting AM4 to at least 2020 which will likely see Zen/Zen+/Zen++ (whatever it gets called). I do agree with your second point though. It will all boil down to whether Intel will let them and if sales are poor they will let them I'm sure.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Yeah, they have to settle with less milking... let's just hope they won't rush it as bad as they did with x299. Still ridiculous milking with yet another socket change.

4. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    They can keep it. I'll not swap my mobo for same socket.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I haven't used AMD since I had a socket 939 Opteron, but this really pisses me off and I think I'll buy AMD again for my next upgrade. Although I would still buy coffee lake if someone found a way to make it run on z170/270 boards (socket adapter, bios update, whatever).

6. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    More of the same from big blue. :(

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Its not the socket, its the chipset.

8. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    I dont understand all the complaints about Chipset compatibility, it feels like most of you are just AMD fanboys making noise and string anti-Intel sentiment.

If you been using Intel CPU in the last 10 years you should know that Intel has One chipset per TWO CPU generation Plus chipset refresh with more features in the second year for the mainstream and one chipset per 2 CPU generations for the HEDT

X99: Haswell, Broadwell
    X79: Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge
    X58: Nehalem, Westmere

Z270: Refresh
    Z170: Skylake, Kabylake

Z97: Refresh
    Z87: Haswell, Broadwell

Z77: Refresh
    Z68: Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge

P55: Lynnfield, Clarkdale

Going back to socket LGA 775 you can see how MUCH worse the chipset situation, during that period 4 different companies made TENS of chipsets for LGA775, Intel, ATI, Nvidia, ViA and SiS, one socket but Zero compatibility, one chipset worked with Pentium 4, another just with dual core, another with quad core and so on. One socket and Mega confusion, right now its the best it ever was.

Intel from i845 to 4X chipset
    :
    i845GV/GE/i848P/i865G/GV/P/PE/i910GL/i915G/GL/GV/P/PL/i925X/XE/i945/955/i945G/P/ i955X/i946/946GZ/PL/965/i975/Q965/P965/G965/Q963/i975X/ X35/P35/Q35/G35/P33/G33/Q33/P31/G31/X38/X48/P45/P43/G45/G43/G41/B43/Q43/Q45,
    SiS:
    SiS 649/649FX/655/656/656FX/662/671/671FX/671DX/672
    VIA:
    PT800/PM800/PT880/PM880/P4M800/P4M800 Pro/PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra/PT894/PT894 Pro/P4M890/PT890/P4M900
    ATI:
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200; ATI Radeon Xpress 1250, ATI CrossFire Xpress 3200
    nVidia:
    nForce4 Ultra; nForce4 SLI XE; nForce4 SLI; nForce4 SLI X16; nForce 570 SLI; nForce 590 SLI; nForce 610i; nForce 630i; nForce 650i Ultra; nForce 650i SLI; nForce 680i LT SLI; nForce 680i SLI; nForce 730i; nForce 740i SLI; nForce 750i SLI; nForce 760i SLI; nForce 780i SLI; nForce 790i SLI; GeForce 9300; GeForce 9400

9. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    If you go AMD you will also be forced to by a mobo, so nothing changed.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well no 6c/12t for me till my next build then, in 4 years or more, by then we should 8c/16t running 4ghz all cores base and be priced @ 299 or lower hopeful, and hopefull games and programs finally start getting programed to used all cores available to it, not half assed sorta kinda aware

IF the z170 could use the 8700k I would bought it and sold my 6700k, but intel..

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    So how exactly does that make Intel the bad wolf and AMD the sheep?
    It's like most of the thread is filled with zombies saying "must upgrade, must upgrade" while there systems are perfectly fine for what they do and an upgrade will yield minor improvement, so who is milking who again?

MegaFalloutFan and gx-x like this.
  12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    You couldn't use AM3+ CPUs on AM3 sockets, you couldn't use AM3 CPUs on AM2+ sockets, you couldn't use AM2+ CPUs on AM2 sockets etc. It's all the same.

TR4 will probably stay there for a bit. But Zen+ will most likely won't work in AM4 sockets.

13. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Active Member

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Intel keep changing chipset/socket as they make an utter fortune on selling now basically empty south bridges - for every CPU they sell, they also sell a south bridge. Not just been gouging on the CPUs and £200 i3s, they love to doubledip their ever so loyal fans.

AM3+ was supported for a long time, but only because nobody in their right mind would have bought another mobo for Piledriver after being ripped off with the shitty move AMD pulled with Bulldozer - getting the motherboards out the door before people realised just how bad BD was and eBay getting flooded with them as people changed platforms, heh.

With the r7 1700 about, hard to consider anything else.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why does Linux support matter to people running Windows? Ryzen was intended for a market where the vast majority of users are on Windows. The likelihood of Apple dumping Intel for AMD is incredibly low.

Ryzen R3, R5 and R7 were not intended for servers. AMD released EPYC to target that market.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Linux support on my desktop. Linux doesn't require that much processing power anyway. Even on an old i3 380M, it's just as responsive as Windows is on my Ryzen R5 1600 based desktop. There are servers in the works running EPYC CPUs though, since that's AMD's server processor. There are also workstations being built around Threadripper.

15. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    zen+ is on AM4. in the time it took you to type that, you should have looked it up instead.

Evildead666 likes this.

16. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Zen+ is nowhere near. And won't be here for at least a year.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Am i crazy, or is there no "first post" with the news and link on this forum?

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    That is partially incorrect.
    You couldn't use AM3/AM3 + on any of the AM2 sockets because those were DDR3-based (notice the "3" in the name), while AM2/+ was DDR2

However AM3+ CPU worked just fine in AM3 (if vendor had bios support), or AM2+ worked just fine in AM2 ( but a tad slower, or in case of AM2, at less PCI-e speed )

~~

The only REAL reason to change the socket is when the memory technology changes ( DDR4 has different signaling than DDR3 and due to all those minute differences in timing of each memory bit etc etc... new socket is 99.9% required )

However, in this case... it is EXACTLY the same memory, same PCI-e, same DMI, same everything.

Last year when I bought a pretty expensive Sk 2011v3 motherboard I was convinced it would last another generation, because there was no news on the horizon of DDR5 or new PCI-e (and still isn't)
    Yet, they made the shitty SK20xx whatever I don't even care anymore on X299 and Skylake X not compatible, while it uses EXACTLY the same tech as Haswell-E or Broadwell-E.

Thanks Intel for pushing me to AMD !
    Threadripper, here I come !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Evildead666 likes this.
  19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not correct, though there were no guarantee, as it was up to the motherboard manufacturer to provide a BIOS update (though this can be argued about many motherboards in general, as there have been countless times when a new CPU comes out that a bios does not recognize, even if it was the same socket and everything, it would not work, unless a BIOS update happened, and often that never happened). That being said, if there were features on the AM3+ motherboard that you wanted, you could use an AM3 CPU on an AM3+ motherboard guaranteed.

Uh, duh? DDR2 to DDR3, it's the most important and valid reason for there to be an incapability.

Again, not correct, and i quote "AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards."

Well, no, it's not all the same as has been shown to you. If you believe facts or not is a different story. That being said, you talked about CPU sockets that spanned from 2006 to 2011 (2017 if you want to consider there wasn't a change from AM3+ till 2017)

In that 5 year time frame, there were 2 socket changes that made things completely incompatible, due to DDR2 and DDR3.

In that 5 year time frame, there were a total of 4 "technical" socket changes, with varying compatibilities with themselves, AKA with two AM2 and AM2+ being completely compatible with a BIOS update, and AM3 to AM3+ also being completely compatible with a bios update, and the only one, for sure, definitely not being compatible, was AM2/+ to AM3/+, due to the obvious reason: DDR2 to DDR3

Whereas with intel, in the last 5 years, there have been 6-7 "technical" socket changes(not counting the HEDT systems), with varying compatibilities with themselves, but mostly required you to change motherboards for a new CPU, and many times newer motherboards were not compatible with a one generation old CPU. It also had 3 physical CPU socket changes. And the only one real reason for a socket change during this time? DDR3 to DDR4.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Evildead666 likes this.
  20. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Old AM3 CPUs did work on AM3+ sockets, but not otherwise. Different pinout.