1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel Comet Lake for Desktop has 1200 pins - to require a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    My Neighbour sold his Nissan Bluebird for 30€ :)
    Running etc.

On Topic :
    Not surprised about the new Motherboard requirement.
    Its become normal for Intel.
    With the extra Pins, probably devoted to the Power budget.

Silva likes this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    It's too early days to formulate how it will perform, and have a educated opinion.
    But now, at the time being, best wise choice is go AMD.

Silva likes this.
  3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    PCIe 4.0 on AMD is junk, its broken and doesnt perform per spec.
    All the reported WHEA errors and File corruption is due to AMDs broken implementation of PCIe Gen 4.0

I just checked on ebay, it starts for new one 604USD

You are drunk, Intel has more money and assets then typical L.A or African country.
    Intel has more Programmers optimizing code for Intel CPUs for free, then whole AMD stuff.
    Intel has 15 wafer fabs in production worldwide, AMD has ZERO
    Comparing Intel with AMD is like comparing single-city book chain vs Amazon

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
    jaggerwild and DLG like this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah, no.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Number 1, don't double or triple post. There's an edit button for a reason.

And for number 2, Ebay is going to have a small markup, people are trying to make profit. But Ebay is not a retailer, Ebay literally is auction and self owned shops. If you want accurate pricing in USD, PC PartPicker.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tLCD4D/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-36-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000023box

Your argument was how much more the CPU costs in Euros, reality it doesn't.

And number 3, please don't be rude to other members.

6. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/

U mad bro? Even by little it provides more performance in mid range. Imagine top range like a broken 2080ti. (if it could support pciex but it is an old gpu by now lmao:D). Wait for big Navi next year and then criticize Amd.

7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    You can buy one of the newer revision of x470 motherboards to build a Ryzen 3xxxx computer. x570 is not required. I would go as far as to say x570 is pretty much useless unless you absolutely need PCI-E 4 nvme drives.

I really would like the hardware reviewers (Guru3d, Hardware Unboxed, Linus, Gamer Nexus, ...) to make a topic about all the supposed bugs on AMD Navi and zen 2 and give us the real story. What is true. What is not. What is preventing normal usage of the hardware. What is bad enough to pull your hairs out.

I remember when i bought my Ryzen 1800x it was the first time i was buying AMD hardware since 2007 and there was lot of report on the internet of a lot of problems with it. Ram not working at 3200. Crashes. Etc ... I decided to go with to cause it was a better workstation cpu than the equivalently priced intel cpu.

I had none of the reported problems. Ram is working at 3200 not trouble. All my old games are working correctly. I had problem with Logitech G for a while but it's more a Logitech G problem than anything else since that was the only thing crashing on my pc. It's working as intended. But had i believed the internet back in 2007 i would have come to the conclusion that Ryzen 1800x was almost unusable.

carnivore, HandR and anticupidon like this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  9. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    LOL What? Do you even know what "wrong" means?
    The price on EBAY is as I stated before, its a fact.
    The one whos wrong here is you: 3900x is not in stock on Newegg
    The two shops that offer it on newegg and have it in stock DealsADay and MemoryC ask for 649$

Buying x470 with new gen CPU is wasted opportunity, especially when you only interested in most high end like 3950x, nothing below is of any interest to me, I already have 9900K.
    Dont forget that x570 has more PCIe lanes, has faster Chipset-CPU interconnect using PCIe Gen4 so its twice faster, has one M.2 slot directly connected to CPU, has 12 USB3.0 Gen 2 10Gbps ports, has better SATA, the boards are made to higher quality, more boards to choose from etc and most important is not made by ASSmedia which has horrible reputation of making cheap trash that never works at full speed.
    The CPU boost is a known issue, everyone has it, AMD lied about it and it works like a SCAM: on mu 9900K when i do SC benchmark the SC Turbo stick to the maximum speed and stays there until it hits thermal or power limit, and thats how it works on your 1800 btw, on Ryzen 3000 it never works for anyone.
    The way people check for "turbo boost" is b y looking at MAX setting on hardware info AFTER benchmark, meaning they look for a SPIKE, if it hit the turbo for one second or nano second, then its ok, but im sure you understand such turbo has ZERO value, that Single Core turbo should STICK to the advertised maximum speed and stay there until it hits power/temp limits.

As far as WHEA errors most people never check for them, same with file corruption [how many times you tested your system files for corruption? I maybe once in last 5 years] people that checked were surprised, as a matter of fact there is a Ryzen 3000 user on this forum that had both, WHEA errors and file corruption, he reported about it on one of my post about the errors.
    AMD admitted to the WHEA errors [LINK] during last public QA and their solution is to mask then, they released new AGESA And driver update that just masks them, [More posts here]

It doesn't provide any performance, 2080Ti the most powerful mainstream card right now, and is only 3% slower when limited to Gen3.0 x8
    When I spoke about broken PCIe Gen 4.0 I was talking about Gen 4.0 NVMe drives performance that works better on Intel Gen 3.0 boards

Oh Denial.... https://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_masow..._test_ssd_na_platformach_intel_i_amd?page=0,4

My argument was that 3900x is out of retail stock and people sell it for profit and you cant just go and buy one for retail price.
    eBay always represents the real availability, people will not to sell something for 600+ USD if you can go and buy it from the store for 500$, they do it because you cant.
    I just checked newegg and and 2 sellers that have them on sale ask for 649$.
    And this, this and this i think AMD just has no stock thats it so prices go up.

The only way to get a forum notification that someone replayed to your post, is to use the replay button and leave a post, if you copy someone else message and paste it in another post, that person will not receive the notification.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  10. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you already have a 9900K there is no reason to look for a 3950X for gaming, agreed.
    There would also be no reason for you to look at the 10000 series either, because i dont think it would be worth it.

I plan to replace my 1700 with a 3700x or 3900x, for me reusing a x370 board is a fantastic opportunity, the saved money from not needing to buy a x570, could give me a better CPU or GPU.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Chill out Bro!.....

12. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Originally an Intel info add, third page nothing but hating back n fourth and people posting AMD stuff lolz! :rolleyes:

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    $800 car only Eastern Europe :D
    And you can have them even cheaper.
    Well, it is apparent that you have no clue what eBay is. So to help you:
    Now, if you kindly describe us difference between two highlighted. And to which of them prices you wrote about fall.
    So, are those real, trustworthy shops to which you would go buy things, or are those people who got them for MSRP and try to resell at inflated price?

Your entire argument is that AMD is bad, because there are scumbags reselling their chips, right?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  14. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Seriously? You started this and telling me to chill? Im chill as ice cube.

15. blurp33

blurp33 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti on H2O
    MegaFalloutFan : ignore.

Keitosha and airbud7 like this.

16. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Are you sure your x370 can boot up with 3950x and it wont blow the VRMs?
    I upgrade every years new CPUs come out, its much cheaper for me, my old one only losing 10-20%.
    This is one of the reasons im afraid of buying AMD, im sure you know that buying Intel is like buying precious metal, you invest in it, even old 7700K go on ebay for almost full price, mainstream Intel CPUs dont devalue, but I can buy Ryzen 2600x for 130$, and 2 weeks ago the ad was for 149$, you know what i mean, Ryzen CPUs dont hold
    People that paid for price for 1800x now c an get back maybe 100-120$ back, people that got 8700 getting almost full price back.
    I think re-sell value is important to consider when you buy something, at least its always for me, Im the guy that keep boxes of everything i might resell and I never use any accessories/cables so they stay brand new in the box.

The reason why im interested in 3950x is: I want mixed Gaming/4K+HDR Capture/Video editing/ movie watching/ web browsing with 1000/2000 Tabs [it wasn't mistake, thats how I run LOL]
    x570 [if/when fixed] is a better platform then Intel z390 and the rumored z490 [even thou z490 should have 6 more PCie lanes, with CPU, 46 total] gives me more PCIe lanes then mainstream intel, give me opportunity for NVMe RAID0 [which z390 can do but since it goes trough chipset there is no benefit, you limited by Gen3 x4]
    I put my eye on MSI x570 Creation, it has 2 M.2 ports, one trough CPU, one trough chipset [which is Gen 4 x4 so double speed of Intel] it has extra double M.2 card so i can add another pair of NVMe drives trough CPU, it has 14 USB ports at the back and most are fast USB, 5Gbps and 10Gbps
    I rather buy Intel HEDT, but i wont pay over 800 maybe 1000$ for CPU unless im sure it will hold value, but x299 is a mid-step before 10nm, so they might lose more then 10-20% when next gen intel comes out and i like to get my money back after using my CPU and GPU [which i also get every time new one comes so my old one hold almost full value]

Its "fashionable" to hate Intel and Nvidia now and praise AMD for everything.

This is nostalgic :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  17. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The VRM is not going to blow.
    My 1700 has been overclocked to 5W more then a stock 3950X TDP, since the Ryzen 1 launch, so i see no reason why it should blow op, with a new CPU with the same TDP as i am running on now.
    I think the reason Intel holds value better is because of the socket changes, people are forced to buy used, if they dont want to change motherboard.
    With Socket AM4, nobody is paying full launch price for a 1700, when the 2700 costs the same, the same thing happens now with the 3700X, but there are good deals on the 3950x next year when the 4000 series launch, so you win some you loose some.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I've thought about this as well. If my 4790K kicked the bucket, there wouldn't really be a viable alternative for it - I would either have to shell out for a replacement CPU on eBay or buy an entirely new system altogether. Sellers can pretty much have their way. It's similar to other products which have no comparable or viable alternatives, such as the 2970WX and 2990WX, which have still retained their original value. AMD also takes an overly consumer-friendly approach with Ryzen - products like the 1800X never really had a chance of retaining their value, since you could just buy a cheaper CPU and overclock (this has been a point of criticism before). Products like the 3900X and 3950X should retain their value for a long time, since there aren't any lower-clocked versions of them on the AM4 platform.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I'm not gonna tell you again, no double or triple posting. Do it again and points will come to you.

You can't use Ebay as a factor considering again, those are not retailers selling it, they are people selling it. Ebay =/= retailer.

That also being said, there are still plenty of outlets to get it for MSRP retail price.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler

Beyond all that though, you're missing the big picture on saying how "expensive" the platform is. You don't need to buy the most expensive x570 board out there for it to work. You do get a better feature set yes, but nothing that anyone absolutely needs or that can be saturated( NVME drives being the main one which you really won't saturate unless you're doing network drives). 3900x will boot on X470, B450, X370, B350, hell there are even a couple videos of a320 floating around there that boots it. Granted on a low end board with a weak VRM, good luck pushing it. But most mainstream B350 boards and up with even a sub decent VRM can and will drive it no problem.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm a bit confused why people are discussing PCIe 5.0... did none of you read the article? Because the slides clearly state the 400 series chipset is PCIe 3.0. Granted, we don't know for sure if they're from Intel, but, considering how is still stuck on their aging architecture and 14nm node, I highly doubt this is going to have PCIe 4.0 or 5.0.

Meanwhile, I see people as usual are feeding the trolls a real banquet...

Anyway, at least in some positive light, it seems Intel is continuing to bump up their performance tiers. Maybe socket 1200 isn't what we're all looking for but it's better than another broken-compatibility "refresh" of 1151.

airbud7 likes this.