Intel can't fab processors enough - posts Record Financials

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    boss, i think u misstype the table (2018-2017 instead 2019-2018) ?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    All fixed, thanks!

4. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    It takes time for the average Joe to realize that it's not worth to buy an Intel CPU nowadays, brand recognition wins over product quality. By that time Intel could mange to fix their problems and deliver a good, innovative, product once again. That... or it will be in trouble.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    LoL
    Do you think everything Intel do is making cpu's?

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    At this point, almost every Intel related news irks me.
    In only 1 year half they went from hero to zero in my book. (figuratively speaking)

7. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    No, but this is the title of the news post "Intel can't fab processors enough..." That's the part I was obviously reffering to.

Maybe you can't read?

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    No. They make gpus. :rolleyes:

GeniusPr0 and Mesab67 like this.
  9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    And yet....they are still best for gaming, by the time games need 32+ cores Intel will be up to scratch.

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Most gamers use AMD cpus if you sum up both pc and consoles. These are the best for gaming.

11. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    It is interesting that Intel has had a bumper year with AMD supposedly getting a gradually increasing slice of the pie. Intel have not yet diversified enough to say that their core business model is not important. If AMD announcements and retailer reports are to be believed with regards to uptake, the broader picture means that the pc market overall has grown after a prolonged period of stagnation during the last decade, which can only be good news for all.
    I am also interested to see optane uptake increasing, perhaps all integrated with laptops containing their chipsets? I personally have not heard of anyone myself purposely integrating optane into their system, admitted this is anecdotal only.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t know if the average joe is the one to "blame" for this results. Intel still sells millions for OEMs, laptops and for servers, and this last one is very important because of the super high margins and because it seems to be a booming market because of the cloud and streaming markets. Where Intel is being kicked really hard by AMD is in the desktop market but that seems to be their "smallest" market.
    It seems Intel lucked out because companies really need their products even if they are more expensive or inferior to the ones provided by AMD...

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Because 60fps v-sync :p

airbud7 and warlord like this.
  14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Less fps means less consumption and heat. :D

airbud7 and Mda400 like this.
  15. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Man every time there's an AMD or Intel article on this site I check the comments for some painful reason and it's always absolutely ridiculous seeing people throw all sense of logic and information out the window to crap all over intel while talking about AMD like their favorite sports team - they're both (in this context) companies making CPUs to get as much of your money as possible.

We get it - you cheer on AMD - you love AMD - you want to have AMD babies - but why? Why do you have this mentality? They're not better for gaming yet - they probably will be soon based on current outlook (and I sincerely hope that happens to keep pricing consumer-friendly) but they're still just NOT better - that 9900K (or the newer version of it) is still the chip a discerning gamer buys for their system if they're interested in the best performance they can get - which I feel like guru3d.com caters to as a community.

Cheer on AMD all you want it's humorous but why constantly say things that are completely untrue?

airbud7, nizzen, toyo and 2 others like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't find it surprising why AMD is doing overall better in the enthusiast market, and growing in the laptop market. I don't find it surprising why Intel's sales have gone up with the mainstream market. I don't understand Intel's success in HEDT/workstations, but it doesn't surprise me either.

What does surprise me is how they're doing so well in servers. Yeah I get it - cloud and AI servers are all the rage, but Intel isn't the best choice for either of those. POWER is a smarter choice if you want the best thread:dollar ratio. Epyc is a smarter choice if x86 compatibility or PCIe lanes are important. ARM is a smarter choice if you care about thread:watt ratio. All 3 of these options are cheaper than Intel.

warlord, Mesab67 and moo100times like this.
  17. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    The server market is very reluctant to changes. These are decisions that sometimes involve millions of dollars, it´s not the same thing as buying a CPU for our home and if it goes wrong, you sell it and buy another one.

We have to take into account that AMD was practically MIA for a decade, while Intel cemented its position. The server business involves much more than simply buying CPUs, there is a whole lot of maintenance and support behind it, where logically Intel is trusted by most companies, due to the connection they have had for years. The amount that companies pay for Intel CPUs is also not the "market price", there are usually many discounts involved.

AMD itself knows this, I remember that at the time of the Ryzen launch, Lisa Su gave an interview and said openly that they would have a lot of work ahead of them to build up the market confidence again and that could take quite a few years.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    airbud7, warlord, Mesab67 and 3 others like this.
  18. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I think it's because of human emotion. If we were all Vulcan, we would objectively just choose a CPU based on it's strengths for a particular use case and no one would get upset. Humans feel the need to choose sides, root for the underdog, debate things they don't agree with, and hold grudges. Captain Kirk knew this all too well, and Spock had to help him avoid making mistakes. I like to think that Captain Picard was more emotionally evolved and was able to battle down his human emotion to think objectively and make the most logical choices. Live long and prosper.

airbud7, Mesab67 and insp1re2600 like this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    you took the words i was thinking were mine :eek::D;);)

airbud7 and kings like this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Absolutely, but, cloud and AI servers are relatively new. This isn't a matter of upgrading an old infrastructure, it's building a new one. So, they're not bound to Intel.
    She was right, too. Despite Intel's increasing success, AMD too seems to be doing great in the server market.