Intel Broadwell-K LGA1150 CPUs has GT3 graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel is bringing Iris Pro (GT3) graphics to the desktop with the Broadwell-K CPU line. Expected to arrive towards the end of 2014 or 2015, these new unlocked LGA1150 processors promise over 80 percen...

Intel Broadwell-K LGA1150 CPUs has GT3 graphics

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well that's going to make some people unhappy.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Then why use the same socket? I imagine lots of people are going to buy this thinking its compatible with their existing board.

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    word is they moving FIVR back off cpu die back on to the motherboard hence it not been compatible

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's because, if the rumours are true, they are moving the voltage regulator back off the CPU. This will supposedly be a good thing for overclocking (keep heat down), but bad because people can't as easily upgrade.

Broadwell's LGA 1150 socket is also only going to last a short time since Broadwell's successor, Skylake, uses LGA 1151.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This isn't a first. Intel did the same with LGA775. Sometimes, it's just a necessary move.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Off topic a little but, when do you guys think we will see a proper 8 core processor for home use?

With consoles here with 8 processors, as weak as they might be they still do have 8. Even if a couple are used for OS etc. I can still see a need for at least 6 core but 8 would be nicer. :)

If games on new consoles are ported over again they will be already programmed for use with 6 cores at least. These better transitioning game ports we are looking forward to might not be as straight forward after all for one reason only this time. CPU cores.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I believe Haswell E is going to be 8 core. Due next year I think, it'll also be DDR4

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Buy AMD if you want 8 cores, or save a few grand and get a Xeon :p 6 OCed cores (with HT) are the best you can manage for a reasonable price nowadays really.

10. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hmm, they're cutting down the cache. I wonder why they'd do that.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD already has 8-core processors for home use. Yeah, yeah, I know....most on this forum don't understand how a processor actually works so they don't think they're really 8-core processors. There's really no pressing need for an Octa-core processor for home use.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They probably optimized the architecture to rely on the cache less, or it accesses more quickly. More isn't always better.

Oh they're true 8 cores, but they cut corners somewhere which happened to be FPU units. Those matter for gamers. The 8350 would be an absolute beast if it had 8 FPU units instead of just four.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Nope, the amds are still quad-cores with 2 threads to make 8 virtual cores...
    at least for the non-opteron cpu's (which i dont count as "normal" desktop cpu).

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They're not though, there are 8 integer units.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Why were the VRs put on the die to begin with? To piss off overclockers like their use of dog piss instead of solder?

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The FX series processors contain 8 arithmetic logic units, which is the principle component that defines a core. So, how do you figure that they're quad core processors?

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yep, Im one of them..

I remember when they trolled it will be compatible, then some more jadajada and now this :S

At least I got a ok 4770K sample and it should last for a while :)

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They can make 12 core cpu and alot people wont give damn simply cause 90% of all software dont even use multi cores cpus correctly, and I honestly think just cause console are now using multi cores (not that last gen wasn't using multi cores ps3 8 cores, 360 3 cores) cause they were. PC side of thing software will still remain the same. Which ironically is probably why intel still focus on per core performance over multi core performance

But when the program and or game actual uses the multi core correctly it proves one thing my i7 920 is still more then capable, but those programs/games that do support multi core is still few and between.

Also why i not upgrade my pc yet

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  19. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I really with they would just drop the igpu on high end i7 and 5 chips, when your going to spend 250+$ on a cpu chances are your going to have a dedicated gpu anyways the igpu just complicates things and im sure is harder to produce.

As for the AMD cpu's they really are true 8 cores they just have lousy single core performance they perform well in synthetic benchmarks only.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    The consoles were PowerPC based so coding was completely different now they will all be x86 so its basically a dumbed down pc