Intel Atom 330 Dual Core on ECS P945GC Guru3D

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We take a look at a new mainboard from ECS. It comes with the all new integrated Intel Dual Core Atom 330 processor. It has integrated sound 10/100 Ethernet and integrated graphics. Really all you need...

More...

2. rschauby

rschauby New Member

GPU:
    Asus ATi 5870M
    This review was pretty fun.

I did laugh a little when I saw you powered it using a 1,000 Watt PSU.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    haha me too

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    To me it looks more like a laptop mobo.

Could be good for mediacenter pc's, put soundcard in and your good to go.

BTW. Edited by Joshua Finger. Wheres John?

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Hehe .. yeah, the entire lab is build with high-end gear I mind. Suffice to say the 1000 Watt PSU was sufficient enough.

;)

6. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    Das ist wunderbar Don Vito Corleone.

Seems nice platform for HTPC. or Voodoo2 gaming =)

7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    -I find the ventilator cooling of the north bridge ("noisy" the reviewer commented), to be a very inappropriate solution. I could almost call it ridiculous as the CPU uses only 8W and runs with the bare sink. The constructors should have had that in their minds and apply somewhat bigger heatsink atop the north bridge instead of this noisy and less durable solution.
    -Which "segment of market" is targeted with this product anyway? Children at the age level below 9 (8 Wats for an 8 year old)?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Dude .. this is an engineering sample, not the final product.

9. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Why do I fail to get what this product achieves, it's not the lowest possible end (or price) but it's the lowest possible result above nothing

Either way as usual flawless review from Hilbert, I just don't understand why this has been reviewed, it's a useless piece of plastic to any gamer(well unless if you're a minesweeper/solitary gamer)

Sorry if I'm being pissy right now it's just theres some thing on the website that could be updated (VGA chart, some game reviews, a list of current great values/Guru 3d recommended products, just stop me when you don't have time I'd be glad to land a hand)

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Please read the first chapter of the review okay ;)

VGA charts are nearly done. I have an update on them next week with all new models in them.

11. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    O.K., I realize this is an engineering sample, but If I were that engineer, I would've put a bigger sink without any fan right away. It makes no sense to have a "standard" motherboard whose north bridge is passively cooled, with a CPU that swallows >100W:infinity:, and on the other hand, to build the system with a CPU running almost cold, using the same north bridge which is being cooled actively.:infinity:

12. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I suppose it is not too difficult to insert some sort of resistor between the connector and the fan to reduce rpm and thus noise to acceptable levels while retaining active cooling.

13. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well the thing is it fails at the only thing it's suppose to be great at ''being quiet'' I know it's an engineering sample but still a noisy fan is a big minus in an HTPC

14. Evilsizer

Evilsizer Member

GPU:
    Diamond 4850 512MB
    i have to ask then when was the article published? on the date this thread was started or the 17th? normally you see "leave a comment here" pointing to the thread the same day, i just came across this review.

One thing to note if you get the intel version it has a svid which should be a DVI as noted here. the otherthing i can say is that you will not find a passive hs on the NB, not even my intel version has a passive NB-sink. i got my Atom 330 ordered full retail on the 17th.

Hilbert has pointed out the uses for Atom, i also see atom is good for rosetta or seti crunchers as well. coupled with a highly EFF psu like the pico-psu 90watt. it will hardly draw any power, makin it a high work per watt setup. Atom will be a good HTPC setup just add a ATI 2400Pro PCI for dvd/mpeg4/H264 playback. though H264 is not passed to card with 8.7cats. need to find a way to get the 8.8 or 8.9b's to install with the card.

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    That would be great in a file server, generally don't need it to do much, just handle certain things.

Whack in a nice RAID card in the slot, 2GB stick of RAM, and that's a sweet little machine right there.

*Ideas are flowing*

Shame it's only got 1 NIC card though.

16. TommyNL

TommyNL Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870X2 1GB
    Server?

I think its powerfull enough for a web server(a simple homeserver for 1 site and a forum, but for that you can also use the sigle core version).
    But what I want to know is, if this is powerfull enough as dedictaded server for a game (like Cod 2 or America's army). cause my server now uses a 90W and the web server a 50W and my parents didnt like the idea of paying 250 euro just too let the servers run 24/7.

So i have to buy a new minimalized server and this (this motherboard and processor, 1GB ram, 2.5" HDD and a pico-psu) could be a very slim server. But.. will it be powerfull enough for a game server? anyone have an idea how to find this out?

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    A very much low power internet browser, server and music/video player, you cna have the whole thing running on a 60w power supply.

Saying it's for children is ridiculous.

18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    People always complain about them, but I've used one of those little EeePC desktop ones, that Asus release, and they're only little 900Mhz Celeron machines, and they are actually quite quick machines.

Now for normal work, what most people use PC's for, Email, Internet, managing their photos, they're quite nice.

And yes it would work fine as a server, nothing outrageous, but you could quite easily hold a 12 person game on there I recon.
    With those types of things, it's always the upload/download speed too.