Intel Arc news and rumours

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Horus-Anhur, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'm creating this thread for us to share news and even some rumours about Intel's ARC's GPUs.

Here is an interview done with Tom Peterson, from Intel. (ex-nVidia)

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I miss those sessions with Tom Petersen and Ryan Shrout of pcper. Hopefully Ryan (now at Intel too) takes a look at VRR in the Intel driver etc., the whole driver basically seems to be one giant rough edge.

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I still remember when Ryan interviewed Raja Koduri, then at AMD. And they got pretty friendly with a bottle of scotch. :D Especially Raja.
    With those two now at Intel, I wonder how many bottles they have shared.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    So it was a paper launch........

Intel now claims laptops with Arc GPUs will ship by the end of the second quarter

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I have a feeling desktop arc gpus will be delayed to 2023.

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, Intel did only start shipping mobile ARC GPU's to OEMs in the first quarter. It takes time to design and manufacture a new laptop.....

rumors are suggesting a possible June launch for discrete cards.....but seeing as how the last rumor had them launching and on store shelves by now....nothing would surprise me at this point. So far, my expectations are pretty low based on what I've read about the mobile ARC GPUs.....
    Honestly, Intel has done a pretty shitty job with the whole Xe branding.... I mean, my laptop is listed as having "Intel Iris Xe Graphics" and it's slower than hell. That already lowered my expectations of ARC even being competitive....and now there's reports that the A370M is considerably slower than the GTX1650M....so, not really promising.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hope for Intel that they manage to release before Q3, at least paper launch their dedicated cards, or people might be all over AMD / Nvidia again.
    Guess they will try to counter with real world benches soon. Hope they're not bugged by a "slow" release like laptops, but a shorter time between launch and stuff hitting the shelves.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    If the performance rumors of these cards are true, then they absolutely need to release before AMD and Nvidia's new cards. Otherwise they will be dead in the water as they are looking to be huge performance upgrades from the competition.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Given how piss-poor driver quality is still with also the best Xe mobile IGPs, I think these cards are only interesting to miners anyway (which has changed my mind about the missing mining throttle).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I share this sentiment.

Didn't Intel say they want to eventually move on to dedicated mining cards as well? Might be the first "batch", but eventually, I thought they'd go for seperate product lines (like Nvidia "did"). But if they do not incorporate a hash rate restriction in gaming cards, you might very well be right.

11. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Undying likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was strange gpu usage was so low in the original benchmarks i guess now we know why. Ending up fast as 1650 mobile is not bad for 20w.

Still it has alot of driver issues.

pharma likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Intel Arc Alchemist desktop series including A770, A750, A580 and A380 SKUs reportedly delayed till late Q2/early Q3

If this is confirmed, then these Arc GPUs will compete with RDNA3 and Ada Lovelace.
    And face the dump of GPUs from mining rigs.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They'll end up trying to fight nvidia and amd next gen gpus. Not good, actually quite bad situation for Intel.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It's worse than that.
    The market might be flooded with RNDA2 and Ampere cards, from mining rigs. And these will be cheaper.
    Most people will ignore Arch, and prefer a more powerful gen from AMD and nVidia. Or prefer a cheaper used GPU.

Undying likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sadly they missed great opportunity to push this earlier and avoid exactly that. Honestly i expect Arc gpus become mobile solutions only at this point.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Intel Arc Control - driver control panel

19. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    For ARC to be effective and successful with the mainstream public Intel must price the tech accordingly. Since ARC cannot compete with Nvidia or AMD in performance, perhaps Intel should focus on users that do not want to exceed certain pricepoints. I truly mean users that are on a strict budget. The Alchemist is rumored to have the performance of a 3070 or 3070 TI. That remains to be seen. We don't know yet. Imagine Intel pulling this off and combining the GPU with a 12600k, 16 to 32gb ddr4 prebuilt system for $800.00 to $1000.00. I know many of you are like yeah right Jedi but just humor me a bit.

This would be an extremely powerful PC for the majority of users that would also attract high end gamers. If it was marketed well with the graphic and work/business capabilities displayed, it would sell like hotcakes at a budget pricepoint. Budget enough to make a profit but attractive enough to sell in large quantities. They would need something else to sell with it to help with profits like peripherals, software etc...

Back in the 80s Chrysler was ran by Lee Iacocca. The company was on the brink of death. Lee Iaccocca assembled a team to come up with extremely affordable and fuel efficient cars. The most famous was the "K" car. It wasn't the best vehicle but it saved the company and helped many Americans on tight budgets. The K car sold like CRAZY here in Michigan and throughout the rest of the country. The other manufactures had to drop prices and design their own affordable cars to compete.

Intel has the opportunity to shake things up and make some major noise. I'm sure they're working day and night to ensure success. Driver development would need great teams. I WANT to see them succeed. I WANT them to grab a decent piece of GPU market share and compete with wonderfully low pricing. Especially in this hostile GPU pricing environment. I hope the ARC tech will be great with work programs and gaming but suck at mining. That would be awesome!!!

Hilbert informed us of a compact system that MSI is selling. Intel could go that route but at a far more competitive price. Maybe a larger case for better airflow.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That was the story of Chrysler for 3 decades.....until FCA bought them. If it wasn't for the US Gov't, Chrysler would have failed under Lee Iacocca. The US Gov't bailed out Chrysler 3 different times.

Back on topic....

Intel will never compete based on price. They want customers to think that they're selling "premium" products. And to release cards with "wonderfully low pricing", they'd have to cut a LOT of corners. That leads to reduced product quality....and a Chrysler situation where you sell a large volume of low quality products that ruin your reputation and leave your company in a position where it can't keep itself afloat.

Given Intel's reputation in the dedicated graphics card market, a paper launch isn't going to stop people from buying AMD and NVidia cards when they launch. The rumors are just that, rumors. Nobody has seen anything to give any validity to the rumors. Instead, we've seen reason thus far to avoid these cards in the event of a paper launch. The market for first gen products is going to be relatively small anyway and a lot of (probably most, really) gamers aren't going to risk driver instability to get a first gen card from Intel. Their best bet, really, is to get the cards out as soon as possible. I've already seen 1 rumor putting RTX4060 up around 3090 performance for an estimate $329....so if the rumors still have Intel's top end card around the 3070's performance, it's already likely to be DOA if it costs more than $250USD

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022