Intel Announces Availability of Core X 14-, 16- and 18-core processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    XE? Thought X already marked the product as "Extreme" but I guess both can be used for marketing reasons and such.
    (Much as "Extreme" and "Extreme Edition" seem a bit redundant though I guess it's better than XX or something, leaving room for the 7990XXX I guess ha ha.)

EDIT: Would be nice to see some reviews of these too and compare core counts and all that but I suppose Intel is still not considering sending CPU samples over to "little" Europe for whatever the reason behind that actually is.

Doubt there's much scaling for gaming beyond 6 cores but for apps and other work there's likely benefits of going higher.
    (But for gaming going for a 4 to 6 core model and overclocking it might be more sensible or at least less costly while providing good performance.)

EDIT: Guessing these continue the X299 series?
    (With lake coffee cannon or whatever moving towards z370 and x399 eventually on a new motherboard series, need to do some reading there.)

EDIT: Oh I see.
    Well no wonder they're going all "XE" edition with that sort of wording.
    (Extreme Edition Edition...eh there's been worse names ha ha.)

EDIT: Oh there's already videos of these processors, thought that would take longer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    XExpensive.

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    2017-2018 Cpu Wars the Movie.

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    XtraExpensive... XtremeExpensive

6. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Xtra Extreme :D

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Anandtech review is up for the 7960X and 7980XE: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11839/intel-core-i9-7980xe-and-core-i9-7960x-review

7980XE performance seems to be as expected vs the 1950X - 12% faster in Blender, 9% faster in Cinebench, and generally faster overall. However, what I found a little disconcerting was that the 7980XE drew 190 watts at stock - a full 25 watts over the TDP! Although the 7960X was spot on, the 7980XE seems to produce more heat than the specs indicate.

8. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    I noticed that Anand didn't do thermal testing in their review. How convenient....

for Intel.

Horribly biased, and crappy review.

Just 17 pages of Anand giving Intel a BJ.

I'm deleting their bookmark from my browser.

Disgusting.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Dont you just love competition!!! If not for AMD getting their act together I bet we wouldn't see anything close to 6 core's from Intel and would still be left with 4 cores 8 threads.

Now AMD need to get their act together in the GPU market and use some of that dosh from Ryzen to take it to Nvidia and hopefully we will see another leap in performance like we did with G80 (8800GTX).

dean469 likes this.
  10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't say it was horribly biased, but they should have come down harder on Intel for the TDP gaffe. A 165 watt CPU pulling 190 watts at stock is unacceptable.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It says Review "Part 1".
    Meaning, it's not a finished review.

Geez people are quick to jump to stupid conclusions

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    i myself use to visit Anandtech nearly everyday! - I very rarely visit there now, because i myself do not like their conclusions. Its like their scared to upset the apple cart on any review they do!
    I like a list of good and bad points, it tells me hopefully that they speak their mind.

That's my view anyway - they must get paid by every bugger out there hence there endings are .....

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I like Ryan Smith for his architecture knowledge but the overall quality at Anandtech tanked the moment Anand and Brian Klug left to work at Apple. It got even worse when they were bought by Tom's Hardware parent company, Purch. Aside from the hardware deep-dives I find their reviews pretty lacking in details and tests. I prefer Guru3D/Ars Technica/PC Perspective - but I'm kind of at the point where I mostly trust/like specific author/editors rather than the sites themselves.

The problem is that a lot of Anandtech reviews have a Part 1 but Part 2 never comes, or comes so late it's not even relevant anymore. Their phone reviews are notorious for this.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
  15. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385

I don't want bias on either side. I just want a good honest review of the facts and the data.

Anand is not a place to get those.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    4.5ghz is pretty impressive; only a small 1.18. vcore

Looks like they are limited by temperature, with a delid dropping 20c or more, 4.6-7 should be achievable at the same/similar voltage.

I imagine the editor/writer for phone reviews is a completely different person.
    Can't really base different divisions on the other.