Intel+AMD switchable graphics on laptop not switching for some games

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by And G, Nov 8, 2014.

1. And G

And G New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7470M
    I have tried the OEM drivers, the official AMD drivers, and the UnifL drivers, but there are some older games (e.g. PES5 or Operation Flashpoint) I've never gotten to run on the dedicated GPU rather than the Intel on-board graphics.

I've tried a variety of tools including 3DAnalyze, RadeonPro, ATI Tray Tools and so on to spoof vendor/device IDs or change memory allocation size or whatever. Nothing had any effect at all.

My BIOS doesn't have the option to switch to fixed mode, and there seems to be no hacked BIOS for my machine (PB EasyNote LS44HR-400GE) that I could flash.

Did anyone ever have similar problems, and actually solved them?

2. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte RX5700 GO
    Yes, this problem was here from beginning of the switching graphics.
    Only solution is to use manual switching mode (in CCC)...

3. And G

And G New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7470M
    What do you mean by "manual switching mode"?

4. atoneapone

atoneapone Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6650M +6520g/ 1GB
    Manual switching (Fixed mode) is not possible on AMD drivers after CCC 14.4whql. (All recent drivers including 14.9s lack that ability.)

Also some laptops need a bios mod or 'fixed mode' unlocked in the bios settings to do this.

I know fps performance has been an aggravation for some users and claim very old drivers eg 12.3 or 13.1 had better FPS; but also blue screen issues etc.eg. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4892353#post4892353

but not sure if that issue is related to yours.

5. And G

And G New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7470M
    I've had that issue for the last 3 years or so. I would love to revert to some old drivers and hack the BIOS if that would solve the problem, but like I said I didn't find a hacked BIOS for my machine I could flash.

6. atoneapone

atoneapone Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6650M +6520g/ 1GB
    Yeah, these switchable gfx laptops fall short on some specific games. Try to save those games giving problems for playing on another capable computer, eg. Desktop with cheap AMD radeon or Nvidia gfx.
    I have a cheap desktop with low to mid end AMD gfx hd 6750 that provide much better game performance than most of these mid range switchable gfx laptops.

I think it's harder to find flashed bios mods available for newer laptops made after 2012. During 2011 many people with various HP & Asus, etc laptops could do a bios flash for fixed mode. I recently got a 2013 HP i5 + radeon 7670m and no bios mod for fixed mode is available. So it will always remain a limitation to run some games on SG laptops like this.

7. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    There is no hacked BIOS for this as it does not have a mux chip.

However: there might be a way to fooling the laptop into thinking that intel is non existent via DSDT.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  8. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte RX5700 GO
    I use 14.4 Unifl drivers.
    And for this you don't need bios mod, I also doesn't have fix option in bios...

9. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    If the bios shows the option or not is irrelevant since displaying the option can be blocked out by the OEM. The important part is if your device supports fixed or not.

As a rule most devices starting from 7xxxm dont have the physical capability of fixed switching.

There is however a way to switch Intel off on some devices.