Intel All-Core 5GHz Flagship Core i9 9900KS processor spotted in 3DMark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2019.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This will be a nice e-peen purchase for those with too much money. I doubt very few people would actually benefit from this kind of CPU - those who want strong ST performance can buy a regular 9900K (or 9700K) and those who want strong MT performance can get the 3900X/3950X or TR. Also, does this mean a 10-core Core i9 isn't coming anytime soon?

It's a highly popular resolution because most people have mainstream PCs with mainstream GPUs. It's not that they want to play at 1080p, it's just that their mainstream GPU doesn't allow them to go higher without dropping frames - in other words, they are GPU-capped.

There are only a handful of gamers who deliberately play with a CPU cap. The vast majority play with a GPU cap (for the very simple reason that they don't want their games to look like crap), and this will remain so for the foreseeable future. This is why gaming tests done with a CPU cap are unrealistic, since very few people would actually play at such settings, now or in the future.

I don't run Cinebench, yet still prefer the 3900X over the 9900K. The number of cores makes a big difference in computing applications or any sort of productive workload.

Why are you even buying these CPUs if you can't find the proper workload for them?

2. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Who said I'm not using them?

In use in my house:
    1800x, 1950x, 3900x, 9900k, 7980xe.

Some for F@H, some for server, some for workstation, some for gaming.
    7980xe direct die cooling @ 4800mhz is maybe my closest cpu to rule them all, but it's not best in all scenarios.
    You maybe use you're pc for forum writing only?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I said using them for a proper workload. To say that the 3900X is mostly an upgrade in Cinebench implies that you don't run it for any task that could utilize the additional cores - otherwise, you would never say such a thing.

I do computing (and sometimes programming) on my PCs so they're fully maxed out. If I were to buy a 3900X, I would do it because I could use the additional cores for a real purpose (not running benchmarks like Cinebench, which I consider a waste of time). It seems to me that you bought a 3900X for no reason.

4. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    You are right there , the only way that this will ever change is if the game and software developers start optimizing for AMD cpu's . Most people fail to understand that the wast majority of computers are still intel based that is why they have to make sure that the products are running well on them , as for other cpu manufacturers you wil get away with " it works good enough " . Its not a conspiracy before the fanboys jump on this , it's a common sense from software developer company's point of view . Most will not believe it but if the situation was reversed and AMD was the big dog and Intel had just a small market share most software including games would run equal or better on amd hardware because it would be coded for optimal performance on the most common hardware . There are architectural differences between the two manufacturers , both have strong and weak sides . Overal they are pretty much on par , so you pay your money .....
    I am on 6 core i7 and Nvidia 1070 right now and it does work absolutely fine for me , but I am patiently waiting to see how that new 16 core from AMD turns out . ( we are enthusiast here after all )

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    PrMinisterGR likes this.

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Is there really any need for this ?

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Its always the waiting game with AMD

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Noisiv and nizzen like this.
  7. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    You clearly out of the loop about Ryzen 300 issues
    None of the CPUs can sustain Advertised Boost clocks for longer then second or two, especially on higher end CPUs that have boost above 4.4
    People get system file degradation [files get corrupted] and WHEA errors if you used PCIE Gen 3.0 devices and especially storage.
    PCIe Gen 4.0 is broken on AMD, PCIe Gen 4.0 SSDs perform better on Intel PCIE GEN 3.0, the only thing that looks better on AMD is synthetic reads.

Im going to wait until its fixed, if its fixed by the time 16 core comes, right now if you have 9900K there is not a single Ryzen 3000 CPU that worth changing to, especially if you game, only 3950x is a good replacement for 9900K if it performs well, especially in single core boost and if AMD fixes all of the above

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    just reporting mine a standard 9900k
    - 5.0Ghz 1.26v (1.25 set in bios) 80-85° in stress test
    - 5.1Ghz 1.36v (1.35 set in bios) 90-95° (while gaming you keep the 5.1 speed but not the cpu temp has it's never at 100% usage)
    I did my tests except if the only games you play are "benchmark AAA games" game care more about clock speed than cores, it's obvious on "tough" games not console ports, for example subnautica (on an advanced save when the game start struggling)
    and I repeat something I wrote the heat on intel is coming from the cpu clock speed not the supposedly "worst" fab process, if you downlock a 9900k to 4.1ghz watts are almost halved and my cpu temp doesn't reach 65°C during an aida stress test 7nm,10nm,14nm have nothing to do with that supposed energy efficiency advantage, they are just slower

that said I agree intel plateform is bad and for me the lack of cpu lanes is a problem I was ready to switch but the lies about Ryzen clock speed are not ok

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Master Guru

GPU:
    4 eVGA GTX TITAN SC
    AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  10. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @MegaFalloutFan
    intel user: waiting for security patch incl downgrade in performance
    amd user: waits for update to improve performance..

im running the x570 and have ZERO issues so far, but also using latest build,
    when a lot of problems ppl have, are coming from using earlier win 10 versions.

not talking about the fact that you wont see many going "i have zero trouble .." in forums,
    as ppl tend to post more often if they need help (vs when they dont).
    that means that the largest group of users running a 3xxx cpu will have trouble,
    just because some others do.

and pcie4 for storage is irrelevant for +80% of gamers, especially considering that
    most buy amd for the lower price.
    you really want to tell me that ppl save a certain amount on the cpu/board combo,
    just to turn around and waste it on a nvme that will improve fps by sub 1%?
    and the few uninformed that do get one, so be it.
    still not going to be relevant for the larger group of users.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I find it funny that some people behave as if they change their CPUs every six months.

Sure, 12 cores and PCI-E 4.0 won't matter until March, or something. But then the new consoles will have high performing AMD octocore, with seriously high performing Nvme storage.

What do you think happens to gaming systems with zero core and i/o overhead, once these games are ported to the PC.

I'll tell you what happens. The same people who bought i5s from Skylake and on (who are now mostly getting 9700K/9900K CPUs), will start complaining about how "badly optimized" games are.

D1stRU3T0R and fry178 like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    TDP is not power consumption.

carnivore and SniperX like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you keep saying this, but AMD is ahead of intel for IPC now and that ipc ads up to better performance when streaming

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    intel ipc decreasing every security advisory.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Even a 5Ghz 8700k beats them in that scenario. AMD still has a great CPU on their hands. We need to stop bitching and realize this is a great time for computer hardware.

Evildead666 likes this.

16. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060

9900k has 50%+ lower latency. Than 3900x.

Max oc vs max oc is ~ 40ns VS 65ns. This is the main difference. No agesa or update can fix it for Ryzen 3k. Ryzen 3k is compensating with big cache, but it's not enough.

I love my Ryzen 3900x and my 9900k. We can't compare it, it's for different use.

17. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb

You have no idea how to check if you have the problems or not, you just boot and go browsing or gaming.
    WHEA and file degradation has to be actively checked for, there are people on these forums that have this issues and you can read about it in a post on AMD subforum.
    As far as boost, you do have this issue unless you have low cost CPU, looking at hardware info max CPU stat, doesn't mean thats how your CPU works, you need to actively monitor it during single core benchmark and the boost has to stick to its advertised clocks, not spike for a second and drop down.
    Intel with all the so called "downgrades in performances" still owns 3900x in gaming, 8600K, 8700K, 9600K, 9700K, and 9900K beat 3900x in gaming and especially in 1% and 0.1%, if you look just at max FPS they can look almost identical, but when you look at whats important [1% and 0.1%] the difference is insane, 20, 30fps

x570 is not a cheap platform, high end x570 mobo [MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION] [Which is not even THE highest end, that will be Godlike on MSI side for example] cost MORE then Intel x299 [GIGABYTE X299-WU8] with TWO PLX chips [Newegg]
    The x570 is expensive platform
    Ryzen 3000 are not cheap CPUs either,especially compared to Ryzen 2000.
    Most people that interested in 3900x and 3950x are people that want Workstation and Gaming platform in one, RAID0 NVMe, 64 or 128Gb of RAM etc

You cant say because YOU dont need something it doesn't needed, if it EXISTS it has to work properly, here are the benchmarks of PCIe GEN 4 vs GEN 3 on Intel: https://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_masow..._test_ssd_na_platformach_intel_i_amd?page=0,4

As I said Im waiting for 3950x and I want all the bugs to be fixed, NVMe RAID0 is important to me too, im not using gen4 drives but gen3 since gen4 are double price

18. Angushades

Angushades Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    HAHAHA Keep hanging on to net burst ay. Secondly, they do not get to 5.1 easily. I've had two and you will need at least 1.4 to get a avx stable 5ghz on a 9900k . Now I'm not sure what you would call stable as stability isn't a subjective term its either stable or not stable and I would only call a 9900k 5Ghz stable if it could do a 24hour run of prime 95 avx on and i've willing to beat only 10% or less could do that. If you have an offset of avx it causes stuttering in games like pubg and other games most ppl are too ignorant to notice.
    https://i.imgur.com/bTzXdtL.jpg and again I had one.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    If we can stop swinging around our noodles and see which one is bigger, that would be great.

@las @Angushades

airbud7 and Angushades like this.
  20. Angushades

Angushades Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Meanwhile, you are lying and but hurt because I called you out. Amature overclockers are what we call people like you, I read this quote somewhere and it sums up ur OC. "Its like drink driving, you can get to A to B most of the time but it's not always guaranteed.