Intel 8 Core, 16 Thread Coffee Lake-S CPU Spotted Again - Lets call it a Core i7 8800K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't see a reason for this 8 Core CPU.

For exclusive gaming, 8700k@5GHz is enough. Buying 8 Core for gaming and hoping it will last longer is meaningless.

Ryzen/TR already covered overall performance department, there no place for it in working machines. (unless there are Intel depended software)

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    For someone that games and does work on the same PC, I like a CPU with balance between peak ST performance and some multi-threaded power. As might people that stream their gaming, for example.
    An 8 core that can reach 1-2core peaks of 5GHz and all-core > 4.5 still (or maybe even OC to all core 5?), that might be something I might get. Well, maybe in 2 generations when my CPU has run its course and I don't feel like getting HEDT again.

Not everyone is "exclusive gaming", or "exclusive workstation". I'm sure there is a whole bunch of people that do both - not to mention the streamers mentioned above that may benefit from more cores for higher quality video streaming.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    schmidtbag and Robbo9999 like this.
  4. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    "....Intel has been working on a Coffee lake based 8-cores and a 16-threads processor for ages now. ...engineering sample that is purring at a rather low 2.60 GHz base clock, but here I like to add .. engineering sample one more time."

How much more time exactly?

This is going to clock worse than a 8086K/8700K.

5. BadAssMusician

BadAssMusician Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EGPU
    I'd probably reckon that this may even class as a Core i9 or maybe more likely a Xeon based Processor or meant for a new LGA 20XX socket.

6. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    not very optimistic about the processor temperature since even the 8700K does not satisfy in this regard. Thus, what we have here is basically is more cores with the same design. Hope it is not just another fail I9.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Meh.. not impressed. Waiting for Icelake, if its going to be that cpu to get. Otherwise bye bye Intel.

8. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    If they keep the 95W TDP, something will have to give, like the all-core turbo going down from 4.3GHz to like 4.1GHz, if we're lucky. On a stock CPU this could lead to some weird situations where some games might run faster on a 8700K instead.
    Also I don't see how this can work on all Z370 boards. Mine has just 6 cheap phases, for example, and there are even worse models. Sure I can OC to 5GHz, but I'm pretty sure those VRMs get toasty as hell. I mean, I guess I could stick a 8 core 8800K or whatever it will be called, but I don't see my motherboard being happy with running prime95 with AVX for example on it. Or it would have to downclock so much to remain in TDP.
    All in all, I don't think Intel will want to deal with flimsy motherboards running the 8 core monster.

9. The Nonlocalist

The Nonlocalist Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080
  10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    There 8/16 core becomes more affordable with competition. It's that simple. And affordable remains to be seen until released and mobo costs.

11. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The rumors until now indicates that it needs the Z390 chipset and therefore a new motherboard, so they dont need to keep it at 95W TDP, they can choice freely.
    I hope they set the TDP to 110W so they can keep the clocks on the same lvl as the 8700k. If they keep 95W they need to lower the speed and it will end op being the same as a Ryzen 7, slower game performance but faster multicore workload then the 8700k.

12. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Can someone explain a valid reason for the Z390 chipset to me?

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @The Nonlocalist they did put out a 8 core Xeon (Beckton) in 2010 and a 8 core desktop part aka the i7-5960X in 2014. So yes they could make 8 cores for close to a decade.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It has USB 3.1 G2 so 10Gbps vs 5 and good built in AC Wifi. Thats all over the prior z370.

15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Possibility of choice is always good, if Intel really want give us something good, there is still room - more than 16 PCI-E lines for peasants with normal desktop boards and cpus..

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well yeah, Intel likes to make it seem like their chips run a lot cooler than they actually are by basing the TDP on base clocks. So the all-core turbo definitely will be lower.
    I'm sure it won't be a problem. We're reaching a point where it seems the CPU transistors are more to blame for a stable OC than the VRM. Besides, having 8 cores running at 5GHz might be a challenge to cool.
    I don't get it... Assuming your CPU is a Xeon E5-2687W, are you telling me a ~$1900 MSRP is affordable? Also, that CPU is 6 years old; that's not that close to being a decade. We have to compare apples to apples here, so if you bought it used, that point is kind of moot. If you account for used server hardware, you can get 8c/16t CPUs for less than the price of a new Pentium.
    I'm not sure that's electrically possible, without creating a new socket.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Chances are in single thread it might be clocked the same as the 8700k, whilst the more cores that get used then yeah it will drop down, maybe to something like 8 cores @ 4.0ghz

Currently im more worried about heat, i own a 8700k and it can at times run rather toasty, it is summer which doesn't help but i dont know i worry when my CPU is getting to 70-75 degrees (mind you the fans are barely on)

18. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    If they stick to 95W TDP, there is really no problem, since the power draw would be about the same, maybe a bit higher. Of course you couldn't OC it much on those boards, but you wouldn't buy a board with a cheap VRM if you plan on proper OCing.

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I disagree with the name 8800K
    The correct name should be 80286K ... :cool:

20. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Neither of which are selling points for me. I don't have any devices that can take full advantage of USB 3 nevermind 3.1 g2 and Asus somehow managed to get decent ac WiFi onto my z97 board which is way faster than whatever my isp can deliver.